Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,603 times

Advertisements

Im a 24 year old young single man who has lost my mother and my father in the last year I am currently living over seize but will be returning to the states soon I wont have more than 1000-1500 dollars in my pocket but i need some place to start over my father has his grave at the veterans memorial in san diego. Is it possible to come out to San Diego and start over i know its expenisve but i really dont know where i should go im lost. please give me some insight. how hard would it be to find a job and such? any information about the city best areas worst areas will help thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,194,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover86 View Post
Im a 24 year old young single man who has lost my mother and my father in the last year I am currently living over seize but will be returning to the states soon I wont have more than 1000-1500 dollars in my pocket but i need some place to start over my father has his grave at the veterans memorial in san diego. Is it possible to come out to San Diego and start over i know its expenisve but i really dont know where i should go im lost. please give me some insight. how hard would it be to find a job and such? any information about the city best areas worst areas will help thanks
First off, I would like to extend my sincere condolences on the loss of both your mother and father. That alone is very difficult.

Most likely, you're going to get a variety of responses, from "are you crazy" to "go for it." I'm in the "go for it" camp as at age 24, what have you got to lose? Seriously. You CAN do anything you put your mind to if you truly desire it. Will it be difficult? Yes, it will. But I don't know anything worthwhile that is easy. Again, losing your mom and dad wasn't easy, yet here you are. If they were still here, I'm sure that they'd encourage you to live your dreams. I have children that are your age and younger and I'd encourage them to go out there and take risks as my belief is that nothing ventured is nothing gained.

What I would recommend (in order to make things easier on you) is to come out with more cash. Come out with more cash, even if you have to delay your trip a bit, and things will work out much more smoothly and successfully for you. But yes, you can definitely start over and you will find out as you live longer on this earth that life is a series of "starting overs". Go for it!

Wishing you the best.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,811,455 times
Wow, I'm sorry for your loss, I too lost both parents within a month of each other and if you're an only child, it can throw off your equilibrium for a bit.
Moving to any state without a job is difficult, California is pretty hard hit economically, so you will be in stiff competition for even the so called unskilled jobs as well.
Do you absolutely have no one to assist you, with housing or other types of lifeline support? If not and you are determined to come to SD, you should start seeking out roommate/room rentals on Craigslist. Your $1500 will not last long at all.
I strongly recommend staying put, if you can, until you have several thousand $$$ more as seed funds to tide you over until you get a job.
Good Luck to you!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,650,084 times
My sincere condolences on the loss of your parents. I know that starting over will not be easy. That said, I echo the sentiments of others that it can be extremely difficult to find a job in California while the unemployment rate is so very high.

It would be better for you to first get a job elsewhere and amass more savings before coming here. If, for whatever reason, that is not an option, then you might consider any of the following (They may sound crazy, but it’s called “survival“).

A. Get a low cost room; possibly with an immigrant family in the San Diego area. This is not ideal, but if the family is sane and the area is not too bad, you may be able to use this as a springboard. You will more than likely spend most of your time away job hunting or working. I’m not sure how to penetrate the immigrant network to find these rooms; but they are out there. I know for a fact that some military personnel rent from such families in the Oceanside/Vista, CA area.

Also try Craig's List to see if you can get a roommate.

B. Travel to wealthier areas and submit applications for minimum wage jobs. Pet Smart comes to mind, and it seems that they are always looking for people. Try to get two of these jobs. Also, try gas stations, etc.

C. Buy very little in the way of clothing, and what you do purchase, get from Goodwill.

D. Buy as much food as you can from the dollar store. Some of these places carry “fresh” produce and other items that are edible, but near their expiration date. Also, buy toiletries from there.

E. Join a church if you are religious; church members may also be able to provide you with job leads.

F. Check to see if you are eligible for an educational grant or other form of financial assistance since your dad was in the military; you never know what’s out there until you try:
Grants or Scholarships for Children of Veterans | eHow.com

You might be eligible for aid if your father died due to a service-connected disability:
Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) - U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs

G. Consider joining AmeriCorps:
NationalService.gov > AmeriCorps

H. If all else fails, contact a San Diego veteran’s group. While they may not be able to provide direct assistance, they may have some very helpful suggestions for you.

I’m just brainstorming, so some of these things may sound far-out there.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by pacific2; 11-08-2010 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego