Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM

46 posts, read 162,529 times

Advertisements

I've lived in L.A. and Sacramento, but I'm going to be heading to North County soon (within a couple of weeks) and am wondering about areas/places to live.

The background: Mid 50s, single. Will be working from home and the only time I'll have to drive anyplace is when I choose to for personal reasons, so commute time is not an issue.

Would prefer a single home or a duplex, 1200-1300 max. Need 2 bedrooms, though it need not be big. And yes, I will also look at apartments, I'd simply prefer a house. I've been using PadMapper.com to search, but if there are any good RE's that handle leasing I'd appreciate the references. I've found a few that seem to look okay (and many that were freaky ugly) in Oceanside, some fairly close to the base. I suspect that isn't likely the best area. Since I don't have a commute, I'm more interested in what I'll see out the windows at home than some of the usual things like schools, commutes, etc. My daughter is an adult, so kiddy friendly is no longer an issue.

I'm a pretty quiet, low key guy. Oceanside/Carlsbad/Vista/Poway/Escondido/whatever else is where I'm aiming for. I'd *like* to be relatively close to the beach or the Safari Park (Wild Animal Park) if possible.

Thanks, gang. Always love the forums here, though I haven't posted much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Well, for folks in their 50's there is a development near Temple Heights Dr and Oceanside Blvd. that looked like a nice and quiet place to live that was much more affordable than most other areas. I don't know the name of the 'community', but a realtor could tell you more about it. That said, I'd avoid Oceanside and Vista; at least most of it. If you can afford a place in Carlsbad, that would be my recommendation. Most of the towns in North County are pretty nice. It's just the affordability question.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM

Real estate at 1671 Peacock Boulevard Oceanside CA - Property Details - MLS #100060738 - Realtor.com®

It's called Peacock Hills. The houses don't look the most robust, and maybe that's why the prices of these are so low, comparatively speaking. Maybe the HOA is comprised of Nazis. I don't know the story here.

That's a mighty forced smile on Shawn-Marie, or maybe she sat on something sharp when the photo was taken.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM

204 posts, read 641,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Well, for folks in their 50's there is a development near Temple Heights Dr and Oceanside Blvd. that looked like a nice and quiet place to live that was much more affordable than most other areas. I don't know the name of the 'community', but a realtor could tell you more about it. That said, I'd avoid Oceanside and Vista; at least most of it. If you can afford a place in Carlsbad, that would be my recommendation. Most of the towns in North County are pretty nice. It's just the affordability question.
Why would a budget minded person avoid Vista and Oceanside. There are beautiful, quiet areas within them that are more than worthy of a look. In fact, in his budget, his dollar would go farther and he could get something really nice (more land/dollar) in these locations in comparison to Carlsbad. That being said, there are also more "griity" areas within these cities, but not all people are that sensitive to grittiness.

Notinkeys,
Check out the Rancho del Oro area of Oceanside and the Shadowridge area of Vista. I don't know about the exact location of Rancho del Oro but Shadowridge is about 7 miles from the beach. I think Rancho del Oro is even closer.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 PM

There are parts of Vista and Oceanside that are ok, there are other parts that are potentially dangerous gangland ghetto. "Generally speaking", Carlsbad is a better bet than either Vista or Oceanside, and home values will likely be more stable. The OP didn't mention a price range. The area I mentioned happens to be in a better part of Oceanside.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:01 AM

I see I was not clear in my first post; I am only looking at rent/lease at the moment. Sorry I was not as clear as I should have been. <blush>

Old 11-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Here's an example of a place that looks okay to me, but I am not sure if it is an okay neighborhood, or if I would find my car broken into on a weekly basis.

loc: Wisconsin Ave. at Myers St. Oceanside CA US - Google Maps

I suspect that's too close to the base, but any insight is welcome.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 PM

204 posts, read 641,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
There are parts of Vista and Oceanside that are ok, there are other parts that are potentially dangerous gangland ghetto. "Generally speaking", Carlsbad is a better bet than either Vista or Oceanside, and home values will likely be more stable. The OP didn't mention a price range. The area I mentioned happens to be in a better part of Oceanside.
You must have a crystal ball then because I don't see how you can make such a big assumption about the housing values, especially considering how vastly different parts of Vista and Oceanside are.
Conversely, it can be seen that parts of Vista and Oceanside may become more stable in their housing values because these are homes people can actually afford. Single Family Homes in Carlsbad START around $500k and those type of prices cannot be supported by large amounts of people and their wages. I would imagine that you would have an household income of at least $150k to support that mortgage payment. San Diego does not have as many high earning positions for these types of mortgage payments.
The bottom line is that home prices of $500k cannot be supported by San Diego wages which means that they will most likely need to come down in price.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
How about living in a long-term motel for a month or so, while you scope out the neighborhoods for yourself?

Old 11-25-2010, 03:35 PM

While, I could do that, Oddstray (I've been in one for 2 months at the corporate HQ of these folks) the cost will drain reserves- that can run into a good bit of $$$. Even here in small town Virginia with a special rate, it's running almost 2500 bucks a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego