U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM

241 posts, read 166,556 times
Default Winter

I was just curious to know what s the lowest daytime winter temperature ever in San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 11:51 AM

2,175 posts, read 2,795,769 times
According to Weather.com: "The lowest recorded temperature was 29F in 1949".

Not sure about the lowest daytime temp.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,549,490 times
^^I've also seen the lowest ever recorded downtown was 25 degrees, so I'm not sure which is right.

To the OP - the lowest highs we get during the winter are in the mid-50s, but I'd be curious to know what the lowest daytime high ever recorded is, too.

Here's a summary of our climate, but keep in mind, it only applies to the downtown/airport area.

Climate of San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-03-2010, 06:20 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,017,312 times
Coastal California has one of the mildest winter climates in the nation and is actually warmer than all other states except extreme south Texas and from central Florida south [also Hawaii of-course]. It can get chilly though and last week frost was reported in several inland areas. Generally day temps below 60 are pretty rare and night temps below 40 are also uncommon. According to records the last time temperature fell below freezing in San Diego and Los Angeles was in 1949.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:34 PM

427 posts, read 137,459 times
Leave your ice skates home!
Attached Thumbnails
Winter-snowman_31.gif  

Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,661,043 times
californiosur, I'm sure the temperature in both LA and SD would have dropped below freezing in the big freeze of 1990. I was a teenager and remember the whole state having all-time record lows and seeing substantial freeze damage photos in Pasadena.

Generally, coastal areas from SF to SD don't get below freezing except in rare instances, but inland areas get at least some frost every winter. My SD neighborhood had quite a bit last week but even that is unusual.

The coldest days I ever remember in San Diego were about ten years ago, when it did not get above 51 or 52 degrees several times during the winter, during a cold rain. This happened a few times over several years, and I was quite surprised it would ever stay that chilly during the day. Most winters, I would say about 56 or 57 degrees is the coldest daytime.

Last year, Miami had a protracted cold snap that kept daytime temps around 60 degrees for weeks, which was really freakish considering it averages in the high 70s in winter there. Seattle was having a really mild winter, often beating Miami's temps. Really weird. Anything's possible.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
californiosur, I'm sure the temperature in both LA and SD would have dropped below freezing in the big freeze of 1990. I was a teenager and remember the whole state having all-time record lows and seeing substantial freeze damage photos in Pasadena.

Generally, coastal areas from SF to SD don't get below freezing except in rare instances, but inland areas get at least some frost every winter. My SD neighborhood had quite a bit last week but even that is unusual.

The coldest days I ever remember in San Diego were about ten years ago, when it did not get above 51 or 52 degrees several times during the winter, during a cold rain. This happened a few times over several years, and I was quite surprised it would ever stay that chilly during the day. Most winters, I would say about 56 or 57 degrees is the coldest daytime.

Last year, Miami had a protracted cold snap that kept daytime temps around 60 degrees for weeks, which was really freakish considering it averages in the high 70s in winter there. Seattle was having a really mild winter, often beating Miami's temps. Really weird. Anything's possible.
Actually the major cities like Los Angeles and San Diego did not drop below freezing but came close like they have other times as well. According to the weather records the last time temperatures actually dropped below 32F was in January 1949 when it snowed in areas of California never before in recorded history.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:14 PM

16,589 posts, read 19,101,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
According to the weather records the last time temperatures actually dropped below 32F was in January 1949 when it snowed in areas of California never before in recorded history.
Here where I live: 26 with snow back in January of 07. I lost over half my citrus crop that year.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Here where I live: 26 with snow back in January of 07. I lost over half my citrus crop that year.
Fontana like just about all of the outlying areas dropped below freezing but according to the weather records the immediate metro areas did not.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,661,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Actually the major cities like Los Angeles and San Diego did not drop below freezing but came close like they have other times as well. According to the weather records the last time temperatures actually dropped below 32F was in January 1949 when it snowed in areas of California never before in recorded history.
Interesting. I confirmed on Wunderground.com that San Diego did not drop below freezing in the official (bayside) reporting stations. In fact, although it got to 37-39 degrees for several nights, it did not even hit record lows for the date. Apparently, the cold air swept down the San Joaquin valley and then turned Southeastward into the Imperial and Coachella valleys, only skimming coastal Southern California but mostly being confined to the Inland Empire. I do remember many Northern California areas getting all-time record low temperatures during the same cold snap, and I swore San Francisco did as well, but according to Wikipedia, SF's all-time coldest temperature of 27F was recorded in 1932. Apparently, SD's all-time coldest temperature of 25F was recorded in 1918. That seems to be an interesting statistic that SF has never been as cold as SD.

I do see that according to Wikipedia measurable snow last fell on various San Diego communities (perhaps not Lindbergh Field, but others within city limits) in 1967, with snow flurries last seen in 2008. I do recall Scripps Ranch getting "graupel" or something else white and slushy a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego