Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDecay View Post
They have it every month.
Yup, happening tomorrow, as a matter of fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 04:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
Funny how renaming a roach coach to a "food truck" and slappin' on some multicolored paint designs makes something that was old and tired, new and fresh. I know the food may be a tad better than the roach coach, but it's essentially the same thing.

I heard on NPR that Jack In The Box has a food truck now. <--- mentioned in a prior post. No longer do you have to drive to get their craptastic $1 tacos, they bring them to you. Speaking of Jacks tacos, I thought they changed them and made them all new...but they still taste the same.

One interesting thing from the segment was that they said there was about 20 food trucks and 5 in the pipeline. I give it five years, before people are sitting around wondering "what ever happened to those...."

Old 04-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Funny how renaming a roach coach to a "food truck" and slappin' on some multicolored paint designs makes something that was old and tired, new and fresh. I know the food may be a tad better than the roach coach, but it's essentially the same thing.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Most of the new food trucks are run by chefs, and the food is well, WELL beyond that of the "roach coach" realm.

Part of the pleasure is getting to eat some nice fancy food for cheaper than you would pay at a brick-and-mortar place. MIHO's prices, for example, are really good for the quality of food they sell, although I can't speak to some of the newer ventures. I'll check them out on Friday.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Bizarre Foods did a food truck segment in their SF episode a few weeks ago. I guess it's huge up there.

Of course the food is going to be cheaper because of the lower overhead. But at the same time, I don't really want to sit on a sidewalk or stand to enjoy my meal.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Bizarre Foods did a food truck segment in their SF episode a few weeks ago. I guess it's huge up there.

Of course the food is going to be cheaper because of the lower overhead. But at the same time, I don't really want to sit on a sidewalk or stand to enjoy my meal.
I'd say most of their business is in or around office parks for lunch, and in the evenings they typically partner with bars to sell food during happy hour.

When Copper Chimney was still around I used to bring a blanket and eat on the grass by the truck, picnic-style

Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Yup, happening tomorrow, as a matter of fact.
Met up with some friends at the one last month and had a great time, although I was surprised you had pay a cover (only $2, but still) to get in. About 15 trucks were in attendance. It was my first time to 57 Degrees and it got more crowded as the night went on. I'll try to post some pics of the event later on.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 PM

I guess this food truck thing is really catching on in SD: San Diego Reader | I Like My Truck, But I Miss My Cart .

I'm going to start my own business with a table n' chair truck. I'll follow around all these food mobiles, and when all the hungry customers are standing around with not enough hands to hold their food, drink, napkin and utensils...there I'll be, the knight in shining armor.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:39 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
One interesting thing from the segment was that they said there was about 20 food trucks and 5 in the pipeline. I give it five years, before people are sitting around wondering "what ever happened to those...."
Well, many things have a shelf life and who knows, food trucks might be a thing of the past in 5 years or not. Remember the fro-yo craze a few years ago? Before you poo-poo all food trucks, you should check one out. It's just as much a social thing as it is having a decent meal.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:

I heard on NPR that Jack In The Box has a food truck now. <--- mentioned in a prior post. No longer do you have to drive to get their craptastic $1 tacos, they bring them to you. Speaking of Jacks tacos, I thought they changed them and made them all new...but they still taste the same.

Jack's tacos are probably the worst.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Before you poo-poo all food trucks, you should check one out. It's just as much a social thing as it is having a decent meal.
I use to frequent them back in the day. Except back then they were painted white and called roach coaches. And I loved that food, so I'm sure that these designer trucks would serve dishes that would knock my socks off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego