Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM

34 posts, read 141,651 times

Advertisements

I used to live in San Diego for a short time and am coming back for a brief weekend in February. Surprisingly, there are still some things I've never done before, even as a resident, so I wanted to get some tips as to which would be worth checking out in the 2 days, and which I should skip...

- Little Italy - NEVER been, only driven through. Thinking it could be fun to walk around, maybe sit in a coffee shop or get lunch here?

- Cabrillo Monument/Point Loma Lighthouse - never been

- Phil's BBQ - I've heard it's the best BBQ in San Diego

- Local farmer's market - I'll be in town on a Sunday! Where is the best farmer's market in San Diego? Worth checking out?! Or pass?

- North Park - I've only been to dinner once in this neighborhood, and I really liked the area. Thought it could be fun to go out for drinks here. What bars do you recommend?

- I've never been to Solana Beach or Encinitas. Anything worth seeing here?

Also, where would be a fun bar atmosphere to take in the SuperBowl? Boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
- Little Italy: Mostly all restaurants now. If you are going to eat, go to Bencotto. Otherwise might be a waste of a few quarters in the parking meter.

- Cabrillo Monument/Point Loma Lighthouse: Worth the $5 just to see SD (on a clear day). The views are awesome and there is a cool little museum there. There is a lighthouse at the very top and some estuaries down below. This visit could kill a couple of hours.

- Phil's BBQ: Maybe the most popular and well known, not necessarily the best. Worth a trip if you get there early enough. The lines get pretty nasty. They just opened another location in San Marcos, might have better luck there.

- Local farmer's market: For Sunday, the Normal/North Park area farmers market (Up Texas St I believe) is pretty solid for the area. Lots of regulars there and mostly decent quality. You will have to drive around a bit to find some parking. Its right up Normal St off of Univ Ave.

- North Park: try yelp for a more robust list of some bars/restaurants in that area. I highly recommend Urban Solace on 30th. I havent had a bad meal there yet.

- I've never been to Solana Beach or Encinitas. Anything worth seeing here? No specifics, but downtown Encinitas makes for a nice stroll. Lots of shops and restaurants. Solana has the Cedros District...lots of local artists have shops here...nice place.

Also, where would be a fun bar atmosphere to take in the SuperBowl? Boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s.
I personally havent a clue....the 20s are past me quite a bit
I do know that Seaus in Mission Valley seems pretty popular and Whiskey Girl on 5th and Market in the Gaslamp.

Have fun!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
"where would be a fun bar atmosphere to take in the SuperBowl? Boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s."

Just walk up and down Garnet Ave in PB. You'll find a bar flying your colors ie:
RT's Longboard = Partriots bar
Bub's = Steelers bar
Plum Crazy = Eagles bar

Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Here's the schedule for the San Diego farmers' markets: Farmers Markets in San Diego - Find locally grown produce: San Diego County Farm Bureau

Little Italy's is the best I've seen so far, but it's on Saturday. Solano Beach farmers market is fun - a bit off-beat. If you go to Solano Beach farmers market on Sunday, that'll include two items from your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego