Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The NFL does not play the players do.
you know what i meant dick. or do you always talk down to people as an attempt to make yourself feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 PM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
you know what i meant dick. or do you always talk down to people as an attempt to make yourself feel better?
My apologies and I didn't mean to offend. Many people don't know how or what the NFL, the union and what is behind it, what they do or how it operates. Sorry my post came out like that.

And nothing about the stadium or football makes me "feel better". If they can come up with a stadium without using tax payer money, great.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Get over yourself. The main reason why the Chargers might be forced to relocate is that the owners want a new stadium. I'm sure their thinking is that many other teams have gotten new stadiums (Dallas, Seattle, Pittsburgh, DC, Cleveland, etc) so why shouldn't they? None of teams in California play in new stadiums. FYI - before this season, the last Chargers blackout was in 2004. And don't think the Chargers have the worst attendance in the NFL, either.

2010 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN
You guys in San Diego need to get over yourself; I quote an article from the San Diego Union-Tribute, your own city newspaper. So if you are angry that the Chargers are moving to Los Angeles don't project your disgust on anyone but San Diegans or the owners of the Chargers. Either support your team by attending games or watch them leave; it is as simple at that.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You guys in San Diego need to get over yourself; I quote an article from the San Diego Union-Tribute, your own city newspaper. So if you are angry that the Chargers are moving to Los Angeles don't project your disgust on anyone but San Diegans or the owners of the Chargers. Either support your team by attending games or watch them leave; it is as simple at that.

You are right. It's a game, a game most don't care about. I'm surprised the following since these guys switch teams so often. Hardly any player stays on a team forever anymore.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM
AFH

28 posts, read 44,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You are right. It's a game, a game most don't care about. I'm surprised the following since these guys switch teams so often. Hardly any player stays on a team forever anymore.
It's curious how emotionally invested people get in sports teams. Especially, as you note, in this day when players are virtually interchangeable and have always usually been from 'somewhere else' (for the vast majority of professional teams, and many college teams as well).

Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
For those who don't know, the issue with the Chargers isn't that the fans aren't filling the stadium...the Chargers are very well supported here. The issue is the owners want the city to pay part of the cost to build the new stadium, as they feel the city benefits from having the stadium and team here in SD. But SD is broke! Mind you, this is a City issue, not a County one, although several other cities in SD County have also passed on a new stadium.

My opinion, Chargers will be here for quite a few more years, but without a Super Bowl being played here. That is the big issue with the NFL...they want Super Bowl caliber stadiums or else the franchise won't get one. Too bad, because SD is one of the favorite Super Bowl sites.

I mean, if Indianapolis can afford a new stadium, what's with SD? This city has run out of "vision".

Old 12-22-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
For those who don't know, the issue with the Chargers isn't that the fans aren't filling the stadium...the Chargers are very well supported here. The issue is the owners want the city to pay part of the cost to build the new stadium, as they feel the city benefits from having the stadium and team here in SD. But SD is broke! Mind you, this is a City issue, not a County one, although several other cities in SD County have also passed on a new stadium.

My opinion, Chargers will be here for quite a few more years, but without a Super Bowl being played here. That is the big issue with the NFL...they want Super Bowl caliber stadiums or else the franchise won't get one. Too bad, because SD is one of the favorite Super Bowl sites.

I mean, if Indianapolis can afford a new stadium, what's with SD? This city has run out of "vision".
We shouldn't be using tax dollars for special interests even when the economy is going good. As stated before, if the Spanos' want a stadium they have more than enough money to do it.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I'm just thinking that the tax dollars that are used would be more than made up with a couple of Super Bowls here. But I do think Spanos should put in the majority of money.

I think a stadium is worth much more to this city than a library in a location where only a limited number of people can/will use it. Or what about the overpass from the convention center, did we really need that?

But I think that it should be County tax dollars, not just city because alot of fans that use the stadium don't live in the city proper. The fact is that in today's society most cities need and want an NFL team. This year, the NFL has the most watched television ever, and I'm proud when I hear them talk about San Diego and the Chargers.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
Anybody who has been in San Diego for a while knows that the Chargers have threaten to leave San Diego for Los Angeles for about 10-15 years now. With the new investment group interested in bringing the Minnesota Vikings to Los Angeles (story below) do you think this will take the heat off of the Chargers?

(Video) Metrodome Roof Collapse In Minneapolis Could Raise Hopes For NFL's Vikings Los Angeles - Los Angeles News - The Informer
The dome collapse has actually had the opposite effect up here and has demonstrated that the Metrodome has outlived it's useful shelf-life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post

The owners of the Vikings have already talked with AEG and Los Angeles. They are fed up that the stadium they are in keeps breaking and falling apart.
Poinsettia Bowl to go on despite flooding at Qualcomm Stadium - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Ha Ha! Ironic isn't it. At least it's a good way to keep the area safe from the fires next summer.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'm just thinking that the tax dollars that are used would be more than made up with a couple of Super Bowls here. But I do think Spanos should put in the majority of money.

I think a stadium is worth much more to this city than a library in a location where only a limited number of people can/will use it. Or what about the overpass from the convention center, did we really need that?

But I think that it should be County tax dollars, not just city because alot of fans that use the stadium don't live in the city proper. The fact is that in today's society most cities need and want an NFL team. This year, the NFL has the most watched television ever, and I'm proud when I hear them talk about San Diego and the Chargers.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Los Angeles is too cheap to build its own stadium and that stinginess goes back years before the current recession. Unless a city or county is willing to invest in keeping a pro sports team than it merely becomes a private enterprise. Staples was built by the corporation that now wants to build an adjoining stadium with private funds [also some nice city tax breaks]. So long as these companies are totally in control than there is no real commitment to a city. The Raiders left Oakland for more money in LA and then returned to Oakland for a better stadium. Al Davis has no interest in where the Raiders play but merely where they will make the most money.

That's why I am impatient with posters who get all crazy angry with Los Angeles for "luring" the Chargers. But in reality, it has nothing to do with the city of Los Angeles and everything to do with "bottom-line" capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego