U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 PM

58 posts, read 78,899 times
Wow, now I feel stupid. I am about to put 20% down on a home, but we couldn't afford the monthly mortgage payment if we didn't put that much down. Plus, if you don't put down 20% you have to pay private mortgage insurance, right? Sorry, first time buyer here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 PM

115 posts, read 756,910 times
I won't move to San Diego (or California) because of the absurd state taxes. I realize that some of you put this in the "cost of living" category, but to me it is something entirely different. (No way in hell will I ever allow some idiot politicians to plunder my family and I).

On a side note, the five states that have no state corporate or state income taxes are Alaska, Texas, Nevada, Washington, and Wyoming. (Florida has no state income tax, but it does have a state corporate tax). Move to one of these states if you'd like to give yourself an instant raise.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 PM

748 posts, read 909,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
What is this monotonous weather you are talking about? Yesterday morning I woke up to frost on my lawn once again, because the temps the night before dropped to the mid 30's. And last night it started to rain again. Snow? The nearby mountains got about 4-6 inches, and if I wanted to I could drive there in less than an hour from where I live. The temperature rose above 100 degrees three times this year at my house, too. Despite what you might think, it's not alway 73 and sunny in San Diego - now that would be boring.

Okay well when I was there, it was constant nice weather
I do understand it can vary, but socal gets pretty monotonous for me after awhile. Maybe I need to visit in January.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,378,570 times
It's Global Warming.

Phoenix got snow fall the other day!
Lots of destructing tornados in the midwest!
Flooding rains/freezing temps here in SoCal!

Global Warming!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM

3,630 posts, read 6,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejack726 View Post
Wow, now I feel stupid. I am about to put 20% down on a home, but we couldn't afford the monthly mortgage payment if we didn't put that much down. Plus, if you don't put down 20% you have to pay private mortgage insurance, right? Sorry, first time buyer here!
You're not stupid, just fortunate. We put 20% down to avoid mortgage insurance, also.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,746,827 times
I thought I was some sort of leper, putting down 20%.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,903,098 times
We put down 15% or 20% back in 2008 as I recall. We had to, it was the only way we could get our rate locked in. So I think it's more common than some are saying.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 PM

3,630 posts, read 6,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Okay well when I was there, it was constant nice weather
I do understand it can vary, but socal gets pretty monotonous for me after awhile. Maybe I need to visit in January.
Weren't you glad to have nice weather when you were here? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by monotonous when it's obvious our weather isn't the same 365 days of the year.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,092,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phriend View Post
I won't move to San Diego (or California) because of the absurd state taxes. I realize that some of you put this in the "cost of living" category, but to me it is something entirely different. (No way in hell will I ever allow some idiot politicians to plunder my family and I).

On a side note, the five states that have no state corporate or state income taxes are Alaska, Texas, Nevada, Washington, and Wyoming. (Florida has no state income tax, but it does have a state corporate tax). Move to one of these states if you'd like to give yourself an instant raise.
We lived in Austin for a while and I loved most of the people with which I associated. I worked for the State Comptroller, so I'm quite familiar with all the other "Assessments" Texas levies on its citizens. For instance, our property tax on our $386K home was from $9,000 to $12,000 our last year there; RIDICULOUS. Texas will also tax any and everything else that is not business related and that does or does not move - Great for businesses not so much for the average citizen.

As for the weather, day upon day of 100+ degrees and humidity can wear you down. This was the only place I had to whimp out and not play a full 18 holes of golf.

I''ll take San Diego any day, thank you very much!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 PM

748 posts, read 909,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Weren't you glad to have nice weather when you were here? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by monotonous when it's obvious our weather isn't the same 365 days of the year.
The two times I've visited, it's been nothing but nice all week. sun, sun and more sun. Not to say I'm complaining, but it does get tiring.
I haven't been there in a rainstorm, or when there is frost on the ground as you've said. In my experience it has been the same, and constant nice weather doesn't really do it for me, i need a little variety.
I'm weird like that, I look forward to a little rain. I've also only been there in the summer, that's why I said I need to visit next time in Jan or Feb - really get a feel for it
It reminds of Hawaii - i've been there before, and it was awesome sunshine. Would I want to live there 365 days a year? Of course not.
I needs me some fall, some leaves changing colour, some cold, some snow, some thaw, some spring and rebirth...you get the idea....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego