Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,037 times

Advertisements

I was born in CA ... Moved to Minnesota nearly 10 years ago but have never adjusted to the weather. I've always wanted to move back and start school here. Start life over as a matter of fact. But I've always thought realistically. Even though I am a Certified Nurse Assistant, and have three solid years of experience as a Personal Care assistant (although i no longer wish to work as one.) I couldn't help but think it wouldnt provide a steady income for someone in college needing to pay rent. (due to research) NOW..The reason why i am considering the move again is because I've been dating an amazing guy for over a year now, we've been friends for some time too so where as serious as relationships get these days. (Both have good morals and values, long term relationship potential) He's in the navy though, and will be stationed state side (San Diego specifically) ...I wouldn't have to worry about rent ... I feel like our life paths fit so perfectly but i dont want to make a mistake. Do you think i could be successful in pursuing both a career related to my experience and attending college in San Diego? Just a community college for now , and as far as the career, Just something to get me by, I dont intend on relying on his income, him covering the rent already means alot. I just have done alot of research, have herd of people making a 6 figure income and barely making ends meat, things like that. I have wasted enough time when finishing high school, cant afford to do so again. What do you think? Mind you, I just want to know i wont fall on my ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Since he is in the military and you already have medical experiecne and are planning on attending college, it should be easier for you to find a job then it would be for someone fresh out of high school or someone with no college education.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM

See, thats the thing. I was certified through American Red Cross, but haven't attended college yet. I got comfortable with my job, and also didnt want to be tied down to a college in MN until I knew i had no other choice. Or does that still not matter

Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
I can't answer the general question "should you pursue your dream" but I will offer you a couple of thoughts

1. Despite what you heard, people making $100,000 or more can quite easily afford things. If one was unable to make ends meet, they are not very good at money management. When it comes right down to it, it is not THAT much more expensive here as other places.

2. I have known more people that have regretted not pursuing their dream than those that tried and failed.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

btw, San Diego is beautiful

Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,763 times
Better to have done it and at least you know. You'll regret staying there if you aren't 100% for it. Worst case- you figure out it isn't what it's cracked up to be or what you dreamed of in your mind, have some college under your belt, and gained some job experience.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
OP, if you move here, you realize you'll make $10/hr as a CNA right? Plus I think you'll have to live here at least a year to establish residency before you can go to school for in-state tuition. And you realize all the community colleges are IMPACTED. i just finished my prerequisites for nursing, and it was a f--king rat race to get my classes and I am a resident.

Honestly, there are a million people in the health care field around here...just to give you some insight, I applied for a job at Sharp and was told 500 applicants applied for 1 position.
There are tons of military families here who have to live on food stamps and hand outs.

If you have a good thing going for you where you're at my advice is to STAY THERE. Don't move here because of some guy you've been dating for 1 year. What happens if things don't work out? You're out on your a$$ in one of the hardest cities to come up in the US.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingafuture11 View Post
I was born in CA ... Moved to Minnesota nearly 10 years ago but have never adjusted to the weather. I've always wanted to move back and start school here. Start life over as a matter of fact. But I've always thought realistically. Even though I am a Certified Nurse Assistant, and have three solid years of experience as a Personal Care assistant (although i no longer wish to work as one.) I couldn't help but think it wouldnt provide a steady income for someone in college needing to pay rent. (due to research) NOW..The reason why i am considering the move again is because I've been dating an amazing guy for over a year now, we've been friends for some time too so where as serious as relationships get these days. (Both have good morals and values, long term relationship potential) He's in the navy though, and will be stationed state side (San Diego specifically) ...I wouldn't have to worry about rent ... I feel like our life paths fit so perfectly but i dont want to make a mistake. Do you think i could be successful in pursuing both a career related to my experience and attending college in San Diego? Just a community college for now , and as far as the career, Just something to get me by, I dont intend on relying on his income, him covering the rent already means alot. I just have done alot of research, have herd of people making a 6 figure income and barely making ends meat, things like that. I have wasted enough time when finishing high school, cant afford to do so again. What do you think? Mind you, I just want to know i wont fall on my ass.
Anyone making a six figure income and struggling is probably trying to live way above their means. That being said, I do think you need to consider a couple of things: 1-even in your field getting a job will not be easy, there is a surplus of health related trained people in Ca and 2-even community college might be out of your budget as an out of state student. It is very pricey, so make sure you consider that.

San Diego is a nice place to live, I am sure you would love the weather and love can be blind. I can assure you, when I was in my 20s (I asume that is your age) I probably would have followed my then boyfriend, now husband almost anywhere. Please though think this through before you make the move. What if things do not work out and you are stuck with no job or a job paying $10 an hour (in Ca you can not live on that kind of money, you can't many places) We can all advise, but you need to be very careful. What does your family say?

Nita

Old 01-01-2011, 04:12 PM

I appreciate the pro's and con's guys. I had a suspicion that the medical field in such a populated area isnt as secure as other places. Originally, I just wanted to work in the medical field to work my way through college, but i not as a career in my future. Its true i should give it a try, to avoid any regrets later in life.

But what wont let me make a decision is my mentality , being : There ARE people in San Diego, living normal lives. Average, every day lives. What separates me from them? I know out of state tuition is horrible , as i planned taking a year or so to get settled in, find the appropriate college, apply for scholarships, etc. So that I've got figured out. How do you survive in San Diego should have been the original subject of this thread. Thanks again in advance! Your all life savers!

Old 01-01-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
OP, if you move here, you realize you'll make $10/hr as a CNA right? Plus I think you'll have to live here at least a year to establish residency before you can go to school for in-state tuition. And you realize all the community colleges are IMPACTED. i just finished my prerequisites for nursing, and it was a f--king rat race to get my classes and I am a resident.

Honestly, there are a million people in the health care field around here...just to give you some insight, I applied for a job at Sharp and was told 500 applicants applied for 1 position.
There are tons of military families here who have to live on food stamps and hand outs.

If you have a good thing going for you where you're at my advice is to STAY THERE. Don't move here because of some guy you've been dating for 1 year. What happens if things don't work out? You're out on your a$$ in one of the hardest cities to come up in the US.
Well i am content with my life here to say the least but, I see my future here to be very bitter sweet... And also, as far as the nursing classes I wasn't planning on pursuing the medical field any further just wanted it to get me through college, it was something my sister did successfully but here in Minnesota. I guess, everyone fits into the world some how and I feel as though I can make it work i just wanted to know if it was COMPLETELY impossible although nothing really is I guess. Thanks for sharing you experiences though. Much appreciated.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:20 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
It is not impossible...nothing is...just gotta fight for it (make calls, visit schools etc)

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego