Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 PM

39 posts, read 220,072 times

Advertisements

I am curious about this. Lived in the midwest all my life and have seen ordinary, middle-class families struggle to make it here, where a nice home in a good neighborhood with good schools can be had for in the $200,000 range. I know that housing prices have dropped in California over the past few years (they have here too, but not nearly as much), but I doubt that a nice place in a good neighborhood can be had for $200,000 anywhere in Southern California.

Looking at C-D's information about San Diego, the median rent is over $1200 per month and the average value of a home is $445,000. Factoring in the cost of transportation, utilities, groceries and other necessary living expenses, the cost of living in San Diego is significantly higher than the midwest's most expensive city (Chicago). I'm sure salaries are a bit higher out there, but are they high enough to offset the high cost of living? How does a typical, middle-class family of four live in San Diego? Do they rent? Live in condos? Single family homes? Do they live in good neighborhoods?

Reason for my asking is that I'm considering an escape from the midwest in the next couple years, and San Diego is on my list of possibilities. I'm sick of cold winters, humid summers, and my terrible spring allergies. Keep in mind, I would never move without first securing a job, regardless of the condition of the economy. Just starting the research process. Thanks!

Last edited by CrazyHorsePete; 01-02-2011 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
I'm not sure how some people afford to live here. I look around and ask myself the same questions every day.

Most of your comments and assumptions are correct... except for one. Salaries in San Diego are generally lower than somewhere like Chicago. Same job at the same employer... San Diego will pay less and Chicago will pay more.

The pay is better in Orange County and Los Angeles.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
You can rent a two-bedroom in a safe neighborhood with good schools for 1200-1400/month. You can rent a three-bedroom house for 1600-1800. I don't think these numbers are much higher than what's typical for the rest of the country. You basically have to spend extra $500/month or so compared to a decent suburb of Minneapolis, even less compared to Chicago. (Even in Minnesota, anything less than 800/month for a two-bedroom in proximity to a major city typically means a ghetto.) But in return you save money on heating, winter clothing, extra wear & tear on your vehicle during the 6-month winter, ... Not to mention the simple enjoyment of living in this climate year-round. For an average San Diego family, which makes something like $6000/month before taxes, extra $500/month is in cost of living is hardly unaffordable.

Last edited by esmith143; 01-02-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
While mortgages and rents are high, some things are lower than in other parts of the country. Example: really-cold-weather gear is not needed; heating and cooling bills are less than in places like Buffalo (heating) and Phoenix (cooling); fresh produce is generally cheaper in California. It doesn't make up for the cost of lodging, so many people skimp on life's "luxuries". Fortunately, the beach, mountains and parks are free...

Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
If you are average income, you rent. You never own a home. You convince yourself it's not important or you leave. Or you stretch, sometimes too far.

Pay here is typically lower than Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas or Houston, for white collar, corporate-type jobs. That is because San Diego has little corporate presence.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Pay here is typically lower than Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas or Houston, for white collar, corporate-type jobs. That is because San Diego has little corporate presence.
I suppose it depends on what exactly you mean by white collar.

Quick search for "software engineer" salaries on glassdoor:

San Diego: median 80k
Chicago: median 67k
Atlanta: median 70k
Dallas: median 72k
Houston: median 66k

For "project manager":

San Diego: 92k
Chicago: 89k
Atlanta: 80k
Dallas: 84k

The only cities where glassdoor consistently shows white-collar pay to be higher than in SD are Seattle, New York, and San Francisco / San Jose. All four are as expensive or more expensive than SD.

But, of course, the grass is always greener, etc. etc.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:45 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
I have no idea how average folks do it some of these communities...or should I say "why" folks do it. Best of luck to them all. In the meantime, I'll choose to live elsewhere and visit CA.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I'm not sure how some people afford to live here. I look around and ask myself the same questions every day.
It's called Visa and Mastercard.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorsePete View Post
I am curious about this. Lived in the midwest all my life and have seen ordinary, middle-class families struggle to make it here, where a nice home in a good neighborhood with good schools can be had for in the $200,000 range. I know that housing prices have dropped in California over the past few years (they have here too, but not nearly as much), but I doubt that a nice place in a good neighborhood can be had for $200,000 anywhere in Southern California.

Looking at C-D's information about San Diego, the median rent is over $1200 per month and the average value of a home is $445,000. Factoring in the cost of transportation, utilities, groceries and other necessary living expenses, the cost of living in San Diego is significantly higher than the midwest's most expensive city (Chicago). I'm sure salaries are a bit higher out there, but are they high enough to offset the high cost of living? How does a typical, middle-class family of four live in San Diego? Do they rent? Live in condos? Single family homes? Do they live in good neighborhoods?

Reason for my asking is that I'm considering an escape from the midwest in the next couple years, and San Diego is on my list of possibilities. I'm sick of cold winters, humid summers, and my terrible spring allergies. Keep in mind, I would never move without first securing a job, regardless of the condition of the economy. Just starting the research process. Thanks!
I moved here in 2004 without a job. It took 3 months to get a job in something I had experience in but not my intended career path. It took me approximately 3 years to finally land a career path position. I am lucky, as I know many transplants that have tried to make it here and have failed only to go back "home". I have heard all of the excuses why they thought they would land a job without problems. Everything from "I am a hard worker" to "I have a Masters from Georgetown". They failed in getting jobs and refused to make adjustments to at least get a foot in the door somewhere. These situations do not seem to be unique as I have read many posts on here about similar trials and tribulations.

To add to your affordability index; I have this same conversation with friends and family that would love to move here from out of state. They would all love to live here (the weather, the location etc etc), but to them, they simply could not justify the financial sacrifice or distance from family to make the move.

There are certainly a lot of factors here in SD which make zero sense when it comes to looking at the chosen lifestyles of our citizens, but this is only evident in the failed housing market (credit crunch) and economy here. Industries are limited to military and tourism with only very limited and specialized fields albeit higher paying in Wireless and Science R&D.

All I can say is that for a 200k house, your choices of getting what you desire are greatly reduced compared with other states. I am not saying its impossible, but the list of sacrifices you would have to be willing to make is, of course, your decision. What you get in return is what you might see as an intangible value that others really wont understand.

Personally, I love living here and am extremely fortunate enough, like others here on this forum, to share our experiences. But alas I really dont think there is a magic bullet to just picking up and moving out here, gettting a job etc etc.
Good luck

Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,069 times
You can live in Dt. San Diego for $500 a month in a very best part of the area. It's cheap and convenient! Alot of SRO's are located downtown, so it's not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego