U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM

7 posts, read 106,112 times

Advertisements

Hello!!

My husband and I are in the process of planning a move to San Diego from Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) with our three kids - hoping for a summer 2011 date with his job.

I'm just researching housing costs and areas for schools etc. His office will be in La Jolla, and my sister lives in Ocean Beach so we're hoping for either of those neighborhoods or surrounding areas.

My question is this - if we have a home or townhome in the 1500-2000 SQUARE FEET range, what should we expect in terms of a monthly utility bill (gas & electric)? I've read a lot on this forum about how these costs should be a lot lower than in the 'Midwest' - so I'm curious what they actually would be, approximately.

Thanks!!
Connie
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 41,048 times
We live in Rancho Cucamonga CA in a 1200 sqft 2 story house. There is just the two of us no children yet so I think our utility bills are a little on the low side. We usually average between $40-$50 on electric and $12-$20 on gas.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 AM

5,289 posts, read 4,616,284 times
If you live near the coast, electric and gas much cost less because of the great weather in SD.

Our year round weather is so nice, that you rarely ever need to use a/c or heat.

I live in the Clairemont section, which is 5 miles from the coast, and I never use either.

My average monthly electric bill is around $30, and it's mostly for TV, computer, lights, refrigerator, etc.

A/C and heat are the real heavy users of electricity, so without them on your bill, you save a lot.

Also, a great place to look up housing costs is San Diego Craigslist under Housing:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/apa/

You can enter the exact housing requirements you want into a search, so it returns just the types of houses you are looking for.

It often shows pictures of the house as well.

I also recommend the Clairemont section. It's a middle-class residential area which is between La Jolla and Ocean Beach, but not right on the coast. When you live right at the coast you may encounter heavier traffic due to vacationers who visit these areas. Where I live, it takes just 15 minutes to get to the beach, and I never have to deal with the vacation type traffic.

Last edited by RD5050; 01-12-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 AM

176 posts, read 388,814 times
1 bedroom apt in OB with lots of electronics running, we avg 40-60 a month depending on the seasonal rate.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 AM

8,784 posts, read 12,297,382 times
I have one bedroom cottage in North Park, and my SDGE bill runs about $20 in the summer, and $40-$50 in the winter. I don't have a/c, and don't need/want it, I have ceiling fans. But I get very cold in the winter, so I have to use a space heater, and that runs up my bill.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:45 PM

Wow, thank you everyone. That definitely makes me happy. Right now we pay up to $800/mth on heat/electricity up here.

Are water bills huge? (not renting)

Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 PM

5,289 posts, read 4,616,284 times
Just to re-iterate how nice our year round weather is ... today is Jan 12th and it is currently 68F and sunny here in San Diego.

So there is rarely ever a need for heat or a/c.

Even when it is in the 40- 50's outside, which typically occurs in mid-winter during the night time, the inside of my home still remains a comfortable 70F without using heat.

I do run fans during the summer, when San Diego sometimes get an occasional hot spell for a few days.

But fans don't cost much to run, and my monthly electric still remains around $30.

This past October we recorded our hottest days ever, when it reached 112F along the coast. It lasted just a couple of days, and was extremely rare.

Typically our weather is in the 50s - 80s all year round, and the vast majority of those days are sunny.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM

4,536 posts, read 4,707,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy12 View Post
Wow, thank you everyone. That definitely makes me happy. Right now we pay up to $800/mth on heat/electricity up here.

I have a 7200 sq fot lot with over 3k s ft in landscaping (grass, palms etc). House is just over 1k sqft. with 1 bath and for the past couple of months I average about $50/mo for water.

I cant imagine it would be over $100/ mo for your situation.

On the whole, as everyone else mentioned, utility typically are lower due to our weather year round as compared to a more traditional 4 season region.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 PM

2,983 posts, read 6,730,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have one bedroom cottage in North Park ... But I get very cold in the winter, so I have to use a space heater, and that runs up my bill.
Moved does your cottage not have natural gas heat? Nat gas is so much cheaper than electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy12 View Post

$800 a month!!!

I'm not actually surprised because it's Edmonton, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Even when it is in the 40- 50's outside, which typically occurs in mid-winter during the night time, the inside of my home still remains a comfortable 70F without using heat.
Comparing RD5050's experience with mine, it's clear the quality of your construction will have a big impact on your gas and electric usage. My house was built in the 1940s, so the insulation is minimal at best. I think there is none at all in the side walls of the house. Therefore, during the winter if I don't turn on the heat my house will drop to 63-65 degrees, and sometimes as low as 60 degrees. So from late November to early March my heat is often on. Fortunately, it's natural gas, along with my stove, water heater, and dryer. That means my gas and electric energy costs are in the $50-$60 range for a 1000 sq ft house during that time.

Water - 5 people equals 250 gallons per day just for internal usage. Between the fixed charges and the usage based charges, it's hard for me to pin down exactly what you might spend for water. It could be anywhere from $60 - $120 per month ($120 - $240 per each bimonthly bill) depending on the size of your yard, and how well you adapt to being careful about water waste.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Thanks so much everyone for all the info! It's really helpful!

Yes ... our average electricity and gas bills lately have equaled over $700/mth, this last month it was over $800 - which includes water too, sorry - didn't add that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego