Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
It's the cost factor. But yes I realize it's less hillier than the Bay Area. I was talking about the canyons like Del Cerro and San Carlos area, but I suppose they could go underground or along the sides like the Green Line does in Mission Valley.

The SDSU tunnel has worked wonderfully. I know that it is retrofitted like crazy. I always see Earthquake sensor type things in that station.

SANDAG Approves A 40-Year Transportation Plan | KPBS.org

"The plan includes four new light-rail lines, including one that connects University City to Mira Mesa. Another proposed line will take trolley riders from Pacific Beach to El Cajon."
Those would be good additions too and could possibly help ease some of the traffic we know can get crazy on I-15 and I-805. It would help all those students who go to SDSU get there easier and would open up a line to UCSD. Great additions IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
I'm really curious about how the Pacific Beach to El Cajon line will be and what streets it will go above or under.

My guess is they will join the route with the exsisting route at Old Town and all they have to do is build from the beach to there.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post

I have also heard, (if you want to be really cheap) that if one takes the Coaster from Santa Fe Depot to Oceanside and then hop onto the Metrolink to LA it is cheaper than the Amtrak.
And
Yup, it's MUCH cheaper. You can do the whole trip in the neighborhood of $10. Less than it would cost to drive, and a lot less frustrating

Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I'm really curious about how the Pacific Beach to El Cajon line will be and what streets it will go above or under.

My guess is they will join the route with the exsisting route at Old Town and all they have to do is build from the beach to there.
Either that or perhaps at some point, join it with the green line in much the same way as the green line joins the orange line in La Mesa or the Blue line with the orange line downtown. remember for the first year or so of the green line, it shared it's route with the blue line up to the Q. Now that's only during commute hours.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Yup, it's MUCH cheaper. You can do the whole trip in the neighborhood of $10. Less than it would cost to drive, and a lot less frustrating
Yep, the Amtrak is about 30 dollars for that. The Coaster and Metrolink stop a bit more but its worth it.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:10 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
It's the cost factor. But yes I realize it's less hillier than the Bay Area. I was talking about the canyons like Del Cerro and San Carlos area, but I suppose they could go underground or along the sides like the Green Line does in Mission Valley.

The SDSU tunnel has worked wonderfully. I know that it is retrofitted like crazy. I always see Earthquake sensor type things in that station.

SANDAG Approves A 40-Year Transportation Plan | KPBS.org

"The plan includes four new light-rail lines, including one that connects University City to Mira Mesa. Another proposed line will take trolley riders from Pacific Beach to El Cajon."
I think instead of light-rail, they should built heavy rail, but I guess that costs more money. One idea is a line that starts underground in Downtown SD that stops in Balboa Park, Mission Valley, Aero Drive, Mira Mesa, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, and terminating at Escondido to connect to the Sprinter.

Quote:

I was guessing the same thing. Maybe it will travel through Sports Arena and Mission Beach before terminating in PB. I think elevated tracks would be the best, so you can enjoy the views.

Another cool idea is a monorail running from Morena/Linda Vista Station to Sea World.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think instead of light-rail, they should built heavy rail, but I guess that costs more money. One idea is a line that starts underground in Downtown SD that stops in Balboa Park, Mission Valley, Aero Drive, Mira Mesa, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, and terminating at Escondido to connect to the Sprinter.

I was guessing the same thing. Maybe it will travel through Sports Arena and Mission Beach before terminating in PB. I think elevated tracks would be the best, so you can enjoy the views.

Another cool idea is a monorail running from Morena/Linda Vista Station to Sea World.
Elevated tracks would be wonderful!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 883 times
Hi, I'm moving to San Diego this summer and have heard mixed reviews from people I know living there about how soon I will need to have a car/if I will even need a car. I have always lived in big cities, am very savvy with public transportation, and anything 2 miles or under is a very realistic, normal walk for me. I have even walked up to 3.5 miles to and from rehearsals, even after dark. I'm in the field of the performing arts so I was going to get a place close enough to downtown that the trolley system could get me home from there, but am not sure if there is really a lot of work downtown, or if I would need a car simply if I want to have a job (probably will find something in the field of customer service, so I will be looking at malls, shopping districts, restaurant districts, etc.) Any advice? If you think I need a car...how fast do I need to find one? Within a week/month/year?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:24 AM

813 posts, read 1,271,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmm View Post
Hi, I'm moving to San Diego this summer and have heard mixed reviews from people I know living there about how soon I will need to have a car/if I will even need a car. I have always lived in big cities, am very savvy with public transportation, and anything 2 miles or under is a very realistic, normal walk for me. I have even walked up to 3.5 miles to and from rehearsals, even after dark. I'm in the field of the performing arts so I was going to get a place close enough to downtown that the trolley system could get me home from there, but am not sure if there is really a lot of work downtown, or if I would need a car simply if I want to have a job (probably will find something in the field of customer service, so I will be looking at malls, shopping districts, restaurant districts, etc.) Any advice? If you think I need a car...how fast do I need to find one? Within a week/month/year?
It really depends on where you job is and where you live. If both are in the downtown area, then it may make it so you don't need to get a car. You may also want to check out Car2Go. That may be an option for you.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:41 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmm View Post
You can buy a car in a day, but my suggestion is find a job first, and/or have a very large savings to hold you over until you find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego