Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 PM

5,684 posts, read 4,630,149 times

Advertisements

An annual pass to the SD Zoo is only $10 more than a single day ticket. And the annual pass includes not only the zoo, but the wild animal park also.

We take our kids to either one quite often. Plus the zoo and animal park allows you to bring in your own food (Legoland does also). This is a huge $ saver.

Last time our family of five went to the animal park, we were there all day, and I think we spent less than $10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 PM

35 posts, read 91,138 times
Default Thanks! any advice on streets/areas for a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslamar View Post
JimCav, Carlsbad is very nice too and will take several minutes off your commute. Sometimes, it's hard to tell when you're in Encinitas vs Carlsbad. And the Carlsbad "village" on the 101 is quaint and fun to visit. If schools are important, I hear that Carlsbad elementaries are good, but middle/high are not so great (of course, this is only what I hear).
Mainly elementary (k-6) as that is the time frame of our stay. any areas you (or anyone else reading think are goodto look for places (versus me randomly going up there on PCH and heading east periodically)?

thanks
jim

Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,817,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslamar View Post
My husband and I talked about making the move to SD for a few years before we finally did. I even went so far as to obtain my teaching credential in 2008 - two years before we actually moved (which did me no good as it would turn out). Anyway, I wanted to give an update on my observations and experiences in SD and its surrounding cities.

First, we looked at different parts of SD like Point Loma, UTC, and Carmel Valley. Since we have children, schools were paramount in our decision and night life, well, it wasn't a big deal for us since we prefer all that the outdoor activities SD has to offer. So, we settled in Encinitas and in my heart I know, for me and my family, we could not have made a better choice. We live within walking distance from the elementary school and the people of this city couldn't be any nicer. We live a few miles from the beach, so we don't get the fog from the beach but we do get the wonderful breezes. I love to walk around Encinitas' "downtown," going to any of the numerous beautiful beaches, taking the children to see what the "Cardiff Kook" is dressed up as on any given day, the sweet little Encinitas Christmas parade and anyone can be a part of, the Encinitas library with its breathtaking views, Trader Joe's within walking distance, the greenbelt in my neighborhood, etc., etc. Encinitas is just really a great little city within a city. And, we are only 20 minutes from one of our favorite places on Earth: La Jolla Cove.

Now, we are lucky in one way because we own a home based business and can work anywhere. However, I have not been able to get even so much as a teaching interview (do not have BCLAD) and so I have decided to change careers and have gone back to nursing school.

Yes, California is more expensive, but we have made concessions to offset some of the costs. For example, we don't go out to eat nearly as much as we did when we lived in Texas (and that can really add up if you look at it from a montly cost). And secondly, we only have one car payment as the other car is a beater truck that we only take to the beach. However, I have found that groceries are about the same cost as in Texas and insurance (health and car) is much lower. Yes, there is a state income tax, but California property taxes are much lower. In Texas, property taxes and property insurance are ridiculously high and continue to rise. I don't know when we'll be able to buy a house/condo, but I find that worrying about that all day does nothing but bring me down!

It has been an adjustment for me as I am a native Texan and leaving the coolest city in Texas (Austin) was hard as I miss all that city has to offer and miss my friends, as well. (My husband and kids absolutely love it here.) Am I happy here? Yes. I look around everyday and think, "Wow. It is so beautiful here. I live in paradise!"
Great Post Texas, I think I remember you from several years ago when I was moving to Austin. I am happy that you made it to California. I hope things continue to go well for you and your family.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,370,777 times
Hi Texas,

Thanks for sharing on the information about the health insurance. I'll check into it. I'm glad your move has been going so well. I hope ours is successful as yours is. Best.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM

220 posts, read 700,194 times
Great Post, we need more of these 6 months -2 year after the move stories.. may I ask what line of work the home based business is? gluck with all

Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,153,596 times
Happy to hear a Texan that moved to California

Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,717,039 times
Thanks for sharing your experience so far. Many times we give advice to others on here and never hear from them again. It's nice to get feedback (both good and bad) once in awhile, just to hear how things are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego