Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM

47 posts, read 112,452 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to find a bakery that has a wide selection -different pastries, cakes and cookies ...can anyone help? All these little dessert places make me laugh and c'mon $8 bucks for 2 bites?

I'm very happy with pizza from Bronx Pizza and the Chicago one though.

Oh, and can anyone suggest a good chinese spot as well? I live in Normal Heights...or North Park I'm still not sure, lol.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,002,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel09 View Post
I can't seem to find a bakery that has a wide selection -different pastries, cakes and cookies ...can anyone help? All these little dessert places make me laugh and c'mon $8 bucks for 2 bites?

Oh, and can anyone suggest a good chinese spot as well? I live in Normal Heights...or North Park I'm still not sure, lol.

Thanks
Chinese: Dumpling Inn on Convoy. Not in your 'hood (I don't know of any good chinese in our 'hood) but a short drive.

Bakery: what are you looking for, specifically? There's a Mexican bakery on 25th & B in Golden Hill that I'm quite fond of, and you can get fantastic Italian-style bakery goodness at Solunto in Little Italy. I'm not a huge dessert person so maybe someone else can weigh in on that one.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,240,112 times
If you want a really good, authentic Chinese restaurant then go to Minh Ky in City Heights. The owner is Cantonese and his wife is Vietnamese, so the menu has some nice twists to it. They are really friendly there and were kind enough to explain the menu to us, to help us make selections!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,911,616 times
If you also like Vietnamese, I recommend Saigon on El Cajon Blvd. across from Hoover High School.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 PM

47 posts, read 112,452 times
Thank you, thank you!
I will try all of the places suggested above...
The bakery is a biggie for me (spoiled NYC brat+sweet tooth)

I will report back

Old 01-27-2011, 01:49 PM

134 posts, read 308,957 times
Bread & Cie is probably the best bakery in San Diego, especially if you go to their store on University.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,911,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarsen23 View Post
Bread & Cie is probably the best bakery in San Diego, especially if you go to their store on University.
Mmmmm ... this is making me hungry!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,234,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel09 View Post

Thanks
One of my fav Panaderias is in Golden Hill on the border of South Park on C Street.

Panchitas Bakery
Panchitas Bakery - Golden Hill - San Diego, CA

Chinese? What kind are you talking about? East Coast strip mall Chinese a la Szechuan or specific regions. For specific regions I would try anything off the 163 in Kearny Mesa off of Convoy. Dumping Inn has very good Taiwanese dumplings but their other menu items I didnt care for.

For junky/greasy/MSG loaded strip mall Chinese, there is China Too in the Gaslamp. Its a total hole in the wall set amongst the touristy restaurants but right in the Gaslamp. They used to deliver when I lived down there, but am not sure what their limits are outside of the downtown area.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,240,112 times
If you're from NYC, you are probably used to the fried sugar Chinese food, with the dark sauces. We had a hard time finding this fake stuff, until now. Top 10 Oriental, in the Vons shopping center in the College area, serves just that...fake, awesome, NYC style Chinese food!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,002,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
One of my fav Panaderias is in Golden Hill on the border of South Park on C Street.

Panchitas Bakery
Panchitas Bakery - Golden Hill - San Diego, CA
That's the place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego