U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:19 PM

56 posts, read 103,455 times

Advertisements

What's so special? It's all in the name. Don't come here unless you're a millionaire looking to settle down. Heads up to anyone coming here on a budget - make sure it's enormous. You need a car as the transit system is failing and jobs for people without cars are rare. You need first+last for any good place to live, and apparently despite the recession there are people who actually pay that without question and it's actually competitive! Move to San Francisco if you have that kind of money - the immigration here has made this place an overpriced garbage heap and the pensions have mde the city broke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM

7,162 posts, read 20,038,394 times
basic economics: supply & demand

Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM

2,539 posts, read 9,240,300 times
What you do think you're going to gain from posting this?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 PM

An answer to a mystery? I will admit, I get a lot of girls attracted to me here. If I was a salary earning car driving individual with a nice place, it would be wonderful - that's not going to happen. Even still, OC offers a superior cost-effective alternative for the money.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 PM

17 posts, read 27,147 times
All of California is overpriced........makes no damn sense!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:07 PM

I've lived in CA all my life, it's just San Diego that's a rip off on So. Cal. In IE you can get a room anywhere without a deposit, people are desperate. In OC, I still have people wanting to rent me a room, no deposit, in a clean, quality, modern building.

Here in SD, Everything is trashy/dumpy unless you have FIRST+LASTS+UTILITIES. So like a decent room in PB for example, which is perfect for the foot traveler and by a beach $650 + 650 + utilities every month. Plus credit check, plus verification of employment and income (which is fine). They apparently have NO PROBLEM getting their full $1300 and apparently there are many people who just have this enormous amount of cash just sitting on reserve in their bank account. SSI/SSA income won't work, they don't accept it as consistent.

So therefore, I am forced to live in ghetto places with jailbars on the windows getting bit by fleas paying $475-550 for TRIPE every month - knowing I can get ten times the quality elsewhere. Then let's talk about the transportation - the trolley sucks and is over crowded with bums, illegals, smells like ****, there was a pool of blood splattered all over the door yesterday. Not only does it smell like ****, have too many people , but there's AIDS on the f**king door of the trolley. One time the bus smelled like human excrement. It's just the appeal of San Diego and the comfortable weather that makes it desirable - other than that it's crap. at the last minutes of the end of the month (i have to take what I can get, it's hard to get around without a car and interview with all these people). Apparently there's actually COMPETITION - people ready to drop $1200 right away on a place without batting an eye or feeling guilty and off to work they drive in their nice cars the next day! Lucky them! So for the rich that want to waste money on classy living - San Diego is great, but you could save a LOT more money by commuting here instead.

The good rooms get SWOOPED up quick by established people with a car and the money half way through the month they just flash-reserve it and bam it's gone. i tried offering to outbid people, like sending their rooms to an auction and comign in at the last minute with +$50 to +$100 more for 'highly desired' or 'high traffic' rooms (rooms that get floods of responses in their inboxes) but nobody waits 30 days anymore ..I remember in Poway I saw ads for rooms and I would never get a response, they would get pulled 3 days later - good rooms are high demand, rare, and gone quickly. People hop in these places mid month. It's super super hard. They just show up and claim the rooms, meanwhile I'm planning my bus route and figuring out how I am going to move my stuff in. In OC I have a fellow with an apartment wanting to rent to me so I am probably just going to leave San Diego and take it.

I don't have a choice this place is causing my mental health to deteriorate Until I find quality housing and am comfortable, I can't stop running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. i just want to be grounded so I can get a local job in my community and start saving money for a car. If I keep worrying about paying my rent for **** every month which is what im doing now, it just makes me panic and panic leads to bad sleep which leads to poor work performance.

I just don't see myself here. Except in La Jolla or Pacific Beach and without FIRST+LAST you can't live there.. Everything else is crappy here and you're surrounded with bums immigrants etc. Give me good quality living, with washer, dryer, dish washer, clean carpets, pest control, etc. give me Orange County or somewhere else.. scr3w th1s urbanized overpriced garbage.

Last edited by kinesis; 02-11-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,645,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinesis View Post
I don't have a choice this place is causing my mental health to deteriorate Until I find quality housing and am comfortable, I can't stop running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. i just want to be grounded so I can get a local job in my community and start saving money for a car. If I keep worrying about paying my rent for **** every month which is what im doing now, it just makes me panic and panic leads to bad sleep which leads to poor work performance.
I guess I'm confused! If this place is such crap, why don't you go somewhere else? You say you have no choice - can you explain that???

Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 PM

4,630 posts, read 9,339,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinesis View Post
I've lived in CA all my life, it's just San Diego that's a rip off on So. Cal. In IE you can get a room anywhere without a deposit, people are desperate. In OC, I still have people wanting to rent me a room, no deposit, in a clean, quality, modern building.

Here in SD, Everything is trashy/dumpy unless you have FIRST+LASTS+UTILITIES. So like a decent room in PB for example, which is perfect for the foot traveler and by a beach $650 + 650 + utilities every month. Plus credit check, plus verification of employment and income (which is fine). They apparently have NO PROBLEM getting their full $1300 and apparently there are many people who just have this enormous amount of cash just sitting on reserve in their bank account. SSI/SSA income won't work, they don't accept it as consistent.

So therefore, I am forced to live in ghetto places with jailbars on the windows getting bit by fleas paying $475-550 for TRIPE every month - knowing I can get ten times the quality elsewhere. Then let's talk about the transportation - the trolley sucks and is over crowded with bums, illegals, smells like ****, there was a pool of blood splattered all over the door yesterday. Not only does it smell like ****, have too many people , but there's AIDS on the f**king door of the trolley. One time the bus smelled like human excrement. It's just the appeal of San Diego and the comfortable weather that makes it desirable - other than that it's crap. at the last minutes of the end of the month (i have to take what I can get, it's hard to get around without a car and interview with all these people). Apparently there's actually COMPETITION - people ready to drop $1200 right away on a place without batting an eye or feeling guilty and off to work they drive in their nice cars the next day! Lucky them!

The good rooms get SWOOPED up quick by established people with a car and the money half way through the month they just flash-reserve it and bam it's gone. i tried offering to outbid people, like sending their rooms to an auction and comign in at the last minute with +$50 to +$100 more for 'highly desired' or 'high traffic' rooms (rooms that get floods of responses in their inboxes) but nobody waits 30 days anymore .. People hop in these places mid month. It's super super hard. They just show up and claim the rooms, meanwhile I'm planning my bus route and figuring out how I am going to move my stuff in. In OC I have a fellow with an apartment wanting to rent to me so I am probably just going to leave San Diego and take it.

Yes, San Diego owes you a living. I am glad its expensive here for you because it means less people like yourself who value other things than the residents here, will go away. Why bother being miserable when you have every right to make a decision to leave. As I said before, try Tijuana, its right down the road. Maybe they owe you something too.

You have made all the arguments against living here. When is the moving date for OC? Pretty sure you will hate it there too because they dont have something that you dont know of yet.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM

8,490 posts, read 27,424,689 times
Just get a good education and career and you won't have to worry about this stuff anymore. Simple as that.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,645,867 times
There are places in this world that 90% of us can't afford!
Example: I can't afford to live in Beverly Hills, CA, on Mercer Island, WA, in Cambridge, MA, in Hawaii...
So, do I move there anyway and then moan and groan about how expensive it is? How it isn't worth it? How unfair it is? No!!!
I pick a place I can afford.
Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego