Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 15,634 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to San Diego from Washington state, sometime this summer. Our 20 yr old daughter is on the autism spectrum (high functioning and verbal)- she has a diagnosis of Asperger's. We will be looking for a job coach for her, and social groups as well. She currently has a job coach and has a caseworker with the Washington state Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. I am hoping that we can transfer these services easily. What I am most concerned with is her social life. She is anxious about the upcoming move, which is understandable. We would love to meet other families with 20-something daughters, or in their late teens, who have a similar situation. She is quiet and sweet, but can be socially awkward. She wouldn't mind taking some self-enrichment classes, such as in the arts or recreation/sports. I am pretty certain we will be living in North SD County.
I hope you can help me. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 21,661 times
Hello SetSail. I currently live in North SD county and have a 20 year old son with Aspergers. My son is very outgoing, attends Jr College, works and drives.
However he is socially awkward and not progressing into adulthood like I wish he could. Lots of work to do. I find it interesting that your daughter has a job coach and case worker. I myself am looking for a job coach for my son to help him plan some kind of career to help him focus on the future. I have yet to find a good source here in San Diego, but that might be that I just don't know who to contact. I hope someone reads your post and can help you locate the resources here that your daughter needs. Good luck and hope your move goes well.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,718 times
Default Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSail View Post
My family is moving to San Diego from Washington state, sometime this summer. Our 20 yr old daughter is on the autism spectrum (high functioning and verbal)- she has a diagnosis of Asperger's. We will be looking for a job coach for her, and social groups as well. She currently has a job coach and has a caseworker with the Washington state Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. I am hoping that we can transfer these services easily. What I am most concerned with is her social life. She is anxious about the upcoming move, which is understandable. We would love to meet other families with 20-something daughters, or in their late teens, who have a similar situation. She is quiet and sweet, but can be socially awkward. She wouldn't mind taking some self-enrichment classes, such as in the arts or recreation/sports. I am pretty certain we will be living in North SD County.
I saw the post about a job coach and other help for Asperger's. I have just started a resource page specific to Asperger's in San Diego at aspergershelpsandiego.org. You may find some great information there. Also, I highly recommend that you enroll on valerieslist.com you can send a message and there are over 2,000 members that are in some way related to autism (ASD) or aspergers... Best of luck!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
Hello- I understand the San Diego Regional Center (SDRC) determines eligibility for developmental type services (ie employment and housing resources). In some states, Aspergers does not make the "cut" so to speak, which is extremely frustrating. When I worked in OH, it did, Florida spectrum disorders did not. When I was in FL it was heartbreaking to have families move or want to move to FL from another state only to find their child would not be eligible for services or the wait was years long for services. You may want to check with SDRC if it Aspergers is an "eligible" diagnosis, and if not they should be able to provide some resources.
http://www.sdrc.org/
As far as the socialization piece, many times individuals or their families have set up social activities on their own. I bet Dr. Olinger's links will be quite helpful.

Also check with the area Voc Rehab dept (sorry do not have a link for this) to see what is involved. Sadly most of these agencies are generally not too helpful until you are here. They can help with employment piece, but probably not the socialization part.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 15,634 times
Smile San Diego asperger's/hfa help

Thank you all for your replies! I have already contacted the SD Regional Center, but they would like us to hold off until we move t here. I was hoping to start the paperwork process, as well as that of the CA Dept of Vocational Rehab.
Dr Olinger, I will check out your new website. Thanks for being an advocate!

lastly, is there a way to receive an email update if I get any replies on this message board? I stumbled upon it this morning, just by searching San Diego young adults... but wouldn't mind getting email updates.
thank you,
Trish aka SetSail

Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,361 times
Hello SetSail. Our family moved from Texas to North San Diego County in 2006 and my daughter with Aspergers was able to attend a wonderful charter high school in Vista. She is now 19 and employed as a pet groomer and has been struggling to find social connections that are positive and that will help her connect with others and advance in her quest to fit in. She is hoping to attend communicty college in the fall in North County. I'm pretty confident that she would be open to communicating with your daughter if there is an interst on your daughter's part. I'm writing you also because your description of your daughter's situation sounds almost identical to my daughter's. Thank you.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,238 times
Dear Setsail,
did you move to San Diego this summer and have you had any success in organizing a social group for your daughter? We live in La Mesa in the east county. We moved here three years ago. Our son is now 18 and we are now looking for social groups for young adults with Aspergers.

best regards and welcome to San Diego.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 AM

14 posts, read 33,642 times
Is it just me, or does finding a group for an aspie to join sound silly. Social interaction is exhausting for people who think in detail, like aspies.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheWest View Post
Is it just me, or does finding a group for an aspie to join sound silly. Social interaction is exhausting for people who think in detail, like aspies.
it may be challenging, but as much anyone else (which of course there is variance), people with Asperger's want to have friends, fall in love, and hang out with others. The fact that it can be awkward and even painful, may sometimes appear to suppress the desire, but it is still there. Now that said, these groups may need a facilitator to help folks get to meet one another. Ideally they will continue the friendships outside of the group-and of course make new friends with and with out Asp.

I wonder if a meetup.com group could be started...there may already be one.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSail View Post
We also have a daughter with asberger syndrome and will be 18 soon. She graduates this year from high school and really wants to meet new friends like her. She is also quiet and enjoys art. We live in north county of San Diego. This is my first time in the website so I hope we can connect through our emails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego