Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:15 PM

157 posts, read 675,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
You can thank Sex and the City for that.
You also thank the endless blocks and blocks of shopping in NYC for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 02:18 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
You also thank the endless blocks and blocks of shopping in NYC for that.
They say a diamond is a girl's best friend... looks like NYC is.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally99 View Post
New York has a better ratio of single women than San Diego. I always thought this was the case based on my experience, and found this study to back it up: Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Maybe you can convince a few female friends to move out with you, help with the balance...
yes, but what about the ratio of ugly women to hot ones? NYC has beautiful women... but in San Diego you have a shot with them ;-)

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:38 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 08:26 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,667 times
I am from Brooklyn NY and considering this move in the future.
the hard part is getting a job. For several years, I have been an office manager(mixed managing stuff , basic admin, being aide to sales reps), but have an equal amount of time in street/event marketing. I hate my current job, so I am really open to trying something new while I am out there

Old 08-03-2007, 02:44 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Did you forget there's a Little Italy?
... And Del Cerro for the Jewish influence... although I guess that's not really the case anymore. But there is still DZ Akins haha.

You might find that SoCal people are fake too. They like to shoot the breeze with you for longer periods of time than east coasters like, and in that fake-nice way also.

The nice thing is that SD's a big enough place that you'll always be able to find someone that isn't in the stereotype. I think the women here are stereotypically way too fake and superficial (and not to mention orange), but being a large place there's still plenty of good ones to go around haha. And the same for everything else.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
Man....all the best, cool cities had higher male-to-female ratios dangit. Figures.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 14,769 times
Lifelong Californian here, 44 years: If the light has been green longer than the 5 seconds you should wait to make sure there's no red light runners, you're going to honked at by me....and I'm not fake. The whole barrel isn't spoiled because of one bad apple, and you NYers don't like it when anyone says things like that about you.

Last edited by redheadlisa; 06-04-2008 at 02:29 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 11:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Actually there's probably as many Italians in SD's Little Italy as there are left in Manhattan's.

Yes it's Pizza Pie.

True story:

My little brother went to "New York Pizza" in SD and asked for a large pie.
They said "we don't sell desserts".

I ordered a "large pie" my first week in college in San Antonio from a place I'd never heard of called DOMINOS. The guy on the phone kept saying "We don't sell pies, m'am." I was really getting ticked off, LOL, 'til my roommates explained that pizza outside of NY is apparently not referred to as "pies". WTH?

The whole experience was a shocker including the pizza. What a let-down. I could not believe that we paid money for sauce & cheese on a piece of thick, doughy cardboard. Yuck.

Allen's NY Pizza in LaCosta (just had a slice tonight) isn't bad. I still prefer Bronx though.

I don't know what NY's Little Italy is like anymore but SD's Little Italy can't hold a candle to the NY's Little Italy of the 70s/80s as I knew it.

Artur - While I have never been to Buenos Aires, I understand that it is the most cosmopolitan/European-like city in South America. I think of Madrid when I imagine Buenos Aires. San Diego is in no way like Buenos Aires or NYC.

If you decide to take the plunge & make a life out here, you have to do so accepting that is a big life-style change.

There are pros & cons to NYC & SD. I grew up in Staten Island but spent a lot of time in Manhattan growing up and worked there every summer & winter holiday during my college years. I personally like a slower pace and hate shoveling snow & driving in it so the SoCal lifestyle better suits me. There are things I miss about NYC but it would take a LOT to get me to ever live there again.

What I miss about NY that is lacking in SD:

*Access to endless Broadway productions;
*Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall - basically concerts, live music by the world's premiere musicians;
*the museums
...granted SD has cultural activity but not to the same level as NYC

*Variety of GOOD food - San Diego food is mediocre at best; the only ethnic food that makes it here is Mexican. Still haven't found truly good Asian (except for some decent Vietnamese), Italian or French cuisine but we're still searching;
*the subway
*the vibe - nothing beats the hustle & bustle of NYC

What SD has (& my family concurs everytime they come out to visit from NY):

*Great weather (seriously...our weather is excellent when you think about everyone back east shivering in the 20s/teens while it's in the 50s/60s here);
*much better variety & quality produce;
*health care providers are nicer and medical facilities newer/cleaner;
*less traffic & no tolls (to leave SI means to spend at least $10 just to get off the Island)
*cleaner air (despite the shut down, the garbage dump in SI still reeks)
*my parents prefer grocery shopping here for whatever reason

My parents also say that in general, "strangers" in SD are more polite and nicer than in Staten Island.

Of course, your surfing options are greater in SD.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Sampaguita; 06-05-2008 at 12:15 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 01:34 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jselby View Post
In San Diego you could practically sit through an entire green light and nobody behind you would honk their horn. It is considered very rude here to honk your horn so we think only transplants do it.
Really? Wow, this is a first for me, I guess that's my SF transplant coming through... I always thought that people were relatively good at getting on their horns here.... obviously no comparison to NY or even SF, but more so than Northern CA, and nothing like some parts of the south where you're in for a beating if you honk.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Really? Wow, this is a first for me, I guess that's my SF transplant coming through... I always thought that people were relatively good at getting on their horns here.... obviously no comparison to NY or even SF, but more so than Northern CA, and nothing like some parts of the south where you're in for a beating if you honk.
Must have been a transplant then that kept leaning on her horn the other day because I wasn't rolling through stop signs fast enough for her. By the 3rd time I almost slammed on my breaks just to p*ss her off but then I remembered some precious cargo sitting innocently in the back. She actually rolled down her window & screamed obscenities. Class in a Range Rover. ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego