Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,785,868 times

Advertisements

I agree, the sports arena is horrible no one wants to play there because it is about to fall over. It doesn't even have any box seats

They can build it in the same place there is room to expand there but if they choose a new location that is fine by me. SD could probably attract a hockey team and if Sacramento doesn't get a new arena SD could probably get the kings fairly easily. Also there are concerts that would be played there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times
Ugh. What an eyesore that Sports Arena is. Apparently my wife's company was looking at branding said arena. When she got back from the 'dog and pony' show about how great the glorified gymnasium is, she said that it was deemed some kind if historical site by some organization. This in turn means that it cannot be just torn down. I am not sure how accurate or true that is, but on the tour she was told this.

As far as Charger stadium. Yeah, buh bye. Paying for any stadium with tax dollars in this day and age is a total waste unless there was some direct stake promised to the taxpayers in that city.
I could care less if the Chargers go.

Lets face it, this isnt the 1950s where having principal makes difference about a teams direction in personnel. Its a multibillion dollar business with lots of money at stake. My solution for the current owners of the Chargers is to go to LA and change the brand (aka team name). It would be ridiculous not to go there: instant fan base, brand new stadium and probably a whole bunch of other things that owners care about in regards to profitability.
In a couple of years after the City gets its act together and scrapes up some cash, then start looking for partners to build a new stadium and rebuild the brand (Chargers) again.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,131,319 times
By "the World Cup", do you mean the soccer World Cup? I agree 100%, San Diego can't handle the soccer World Cup, but neither can any other city in the United States - not by itself. On the other hand, some of the games in the 1994 World Cup were held in the suburbs of Detroit, and if Detroit can handle the load, then surely so can we.

We don't need a new arena to attract the World Cup, Qualcomm is big enough and it just needs to be renovated.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:03 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,785,868 times
There are some empty lots on Newton by petco park that they could use for a new arena. it would be a tight fit but they could use the parking for petco which will save room. SD would have to stop newton when it came to the arena and start it again on the other side but many stadiums and arena's force streets to do that. Also it will be in downtown near a bunch of highways.

now hopefully those lots are still empty and not built on now

Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 AM

18,967 posts, read 32,441,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I don't know where you guys are coming from on this one. The two Super Bowls held in San Diego (1998? and 2003) have both been great. There were none of the typical problems that have plagued the games in other cities (ice storm in Dallas, bad public transporation in Jacksonville, etc.) San Diego has handled the event well, it's just the stadium is old and outdated according to NFL standards. If a new stadium was built, the Super Bowl would be back.
I don't get why people are saying SD can't handle these large events either when it has done it before successfully. It has handled THREE super bowls perfectly fine and the only thing keeping it from getting picked again is the lack of a new, modern stadium. SD is a perfect city for the Superbowl except for the stadium issue and the NFL would definitely pick SD again in the future if it had a new stadium. What makes places like Tampa and JACKSONVILLE better sites for a Super Bowl than SD? They're smaller with worse public transit as well. Usually cities geared towards tourism can handle these events fairly well and SD is obviously a city that fits that criteria.

And I don't see why SD couldn't handle a World Cup event either. I guess to some, third world countries and their infrastructure are better equipped than San Diego? If a city can handle a superbowl then they can handle being one of the host cities for World Cup games. Although usually larger cities with more international recognition would probably host games like they did in 1994, not sure if SD can make that cut.

Also being in Southern CA there are a lot of transportation options to get to SD if you can't fly in directly. Ontario, John Wayne, Tijuana, and LAX are all within 2.5 hours or less of a drive. Amtrak between SLO and SD is the second busiest rail corridor in the nation too.

As far a new Sports Arena, SD has already tried two NBA teams before (Clippers and Rockets) and they all left and had poor attendance so might as well avoid going down that road again. Maybe a NHL franchise could work but I'm pretty doubtful. SD should just try to get the Chargers a new stadium and keep them before thinking of trying to lure any other new professional sports franchises. This isn't exactly a sports town so I wouldn't push it.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 AM

18,967 posts, read 32,441,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Lets face it, this isnt the 1950s where having principal makes difference about a teams direction in personnel. Its a multibillion dollar business with lots of money at stake. My solution for the current owners of the Chargers is to go to LA and change the brand (aka team name). It would be ridiculous not to go there: instant fan base, brand new stadium and probably a whole bunch of other things that owners care about in regards to profitability.
In a couple of years after the City gets its act together and scrapes up some cash, then start looking for partners to build a new stadium and rebuild the brand (Chargers) again.
The Chargers are not converting any Raiders fans at all.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Chargers are not converting any Raiders fans at all.
Never implied anything about Raider fans. However, LA Ram fans are still waiting for them to come back.

Sports fans will hop on any team that shows up at their doorstep just as any football fan in SD would welcome another team if the Chargers left. Its about the football, not the franchise.

I cant imagine that would fly in Green Bay though.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,326,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Rams fans....
LA is full of both Raiders fans and Rams fans

Anyway, if Africa, a 3rd world country can handle the World Cup then how could San Diego or any other American city not?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:48 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,326,278 times
US withdrawal from 2018 World Cup bidding good news for San Diego - SignOnSanDiego.com

Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 AM

418 posts, read 1,307,033 times
A new Sports Arena makes the most sense. It has family appeal with ice skating events, hockey, basketball, concerts, all kinds of events. IF S.D. needs anything updated, it is the arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego