Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,981 times

Advertisements

My neighbors growing and selling has begun to put me and my 2 baby girls in danger. I know he has a medicinal license but the amount of plants and the selling cant be legal. That being said the cops are to overworked to do anything since they say "everyone has a medicinal license" so it is hard to prosecute.

I am looking for a different law that might help me. Perhaps child endangerment because of the constant smoke coming into our home (yes its that strong. We even have fans blowing it the other direction.) Maybe child endangerment because of all the dangerous people at his house around the clock purchasing the drugs. Even, something like not being zoned for commerical/retail. Or a health code violation because the house has overgrown plants around it to hide what is going on inside.

I know I am reaching but I need something to protect my family. Any help would be great!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM

88 posts, read 367,605 times
The power of video camera footage! I say film and track the times that all the shady types are going in and out of the house. And give it to the proper authority

Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
I agree. Just prop up a video camera towards his entrance and film the traffic going in and out. It's not illegal to film in public. Then upload the video to YouTube. Maybe people would think twice of going in and buying drugs if they know there is a chance their faces/cars will be online.

Also, if there is that much smoke really coming out affecting you I'd think a video would give a good sense of that. Hard to imagine the police won't do anything if it's as bad as you say. At the very least, I'm sure that the local TV news would find it an interesting story.

I'm not sure what the police can do if he has a license but the power of shame sometimes is stronger than the police.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 02-21-2011 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
You might see whether your local council-critter can help. I expect they're looking for appropriate ways to limit medical marijuana clinics so they don't blossom as the top industry here. Your situation sounds to me like limits would be appropriate there.

(Disclaimer: I support marijuana being available to folks for whom it's a help. But every block doesn't need a marijuana farm on it.)

Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Do you live in the city or county of SD?

You called the police and they said they aren't coming out?

Are they renters or homeowners?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheatmom View Post
My neighbors growing and selling has begun to put me and my 2 baby girls in danger. I know he has a medicinal license but the amount of plants and the selling cant be legal. That being said the cops are to overworked to do anything since they say "everyone has a medicinal license" so it is hard to prosecute.

I am looking for a different law that might help me. Perhaps child endangerment because of the constant smoke coming into our home (yes its that strong. We even have fans blowing it the other direction.) Maybe child endangerment because of all the dangerous people at his house around the clock purchasing the drugs. Even, something like not being zoned for commerical/retail. Or a health code violation because the house has overgrown plants around it to hide what is going on inside.

I know I am reaching but I need something to protect my family. Any help would be great!
Thanks
Geez, thats terrible.

Call the police and ask them for advice in how to effectively address the situation in a way that can make it possible for them to check out. If they dont give you advice, then videotape.
Treat it like a documentary about how your life is being affected. Show the smoke, the foot traffic and the conditions you are living in with these neighbors.
If the cops are not going to take that as any kind of evidence. Get a lawyer.

The best thing you can do if it seems no one wants to help is take it upon yourself and be smart. You cant argue with hard evidence. People will listen.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Does the person who is responsible for this problem seem nonviolent and approachable???

I would try to get a feel for the kind of person this is and consider very respectfull approaching them with your concerns if you feel YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY. Maybe they can make a small change that will help with your problem.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,981 times
Thanks for the info all.
Yes, he seems non dangerous and we have talked to him about it a ton! Thats why I have tried to turn the other way for so long. But, he is spiraling so it doesnt help to talk to him any more.
This guy is an owner and has owned for 20 years
I am in the city of san diego.
The cops just say that too many people have medical licenses so they dont have the man power to come out to every call like this. They say they will come out to a noise violation, but this guy is not noisy.
I too think Pot should be legal within limits, but this is making my home dangerous.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheatmom View Post
Thanks for the info all.
Yes, he seems non dangerous and we have talked to him about it a ton! Thats why I have tried to turn the other way for so long. But, he is spiraling so it doesnt help to talk to him any more.
This guy is an owner and has owned for 20 years
I am in the city of san diego.
The cops just say that too many people have medical licenses so they dont have the man power to come out to every call like this. They say they will come out to a noise violation, but this guy is not noisy.
I too think Pot should be legal within limits, but this is making my home dangerous.
If the cops are giving you this limited advice, then hiring an attorney to find out the legalities of any act such as your neighbors, is worth investigating.

It is after all your baby's health you are concerned with and playing victim to your neighbors emissions is not fair for you if there is a law that would protect you otherwise.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:02 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Personally I've never done any drugs in my life (which is a real accomplishment as I was in a fraternity at a big University..lol). I personally don't have any problem with people smoking pot if it's within limits. I'd NEVER want my kids to do it though....

Regardless of how we feel about the legality of pot, I don't think anyone would want to be living next door to someplace like this.

I know there are two sides to every story.... but it would be interesting to see a video of just how much smoke is blowing into your house. I'd think it would be difficult for that much smoke to be blowing into your house but if it's really that bad, one YouTube video would pretty much solve all of this. You can even post how you tried complaining with the police and they did nothing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego