U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 AM

27 posts, read 29,984 times

Advertisements

We're moving out to SD within the next couple of months. Has anyone had any experience with job recruiters in the area? I'm using all the regular channels (linkedin, indeed, careerbuilder, etc.) but am now thinking a recruiter may be able to cut to the chase. My career is in marketing, advertising (not sales, though) and client services. Any leads on recruiters would be valued - right now I'm stuck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 AM

4,536 posts, read 4,712,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmschris View Post
We're moving out to SD within the next couple of months. Has anyone had any experience with job recruiters in the area? I'm using all the regular channels (linkedin, indeed, careerbuilder, etc.) but am now thinking a recruiter may be able to cut to the chase. My career is in marketing, advertising (not sales, though) and client services. Any leads on recruiters would be valued - right now I'm stuck!
Havent heard about recuriters for what you do in the past couple of years based in SD only. The trend I am seeing for recruiting is that HQ's are hiring specialized firms. These firms do the hiring for all parts of the country/world. Its not exclusively local anymore.
Best thing you can do is look for a co here in SD, see where the HQ is based and do some backtracking to see where they are hiring and cross reference the locations to source the recruiting agency.

My wife does experiential marketing for a big company here in SD (not HQ'd here) and up until a couple of years ago there were recruiters calling her.

In my world, wireless/cellular, it has almost come to a standstill simply because the pool is so large to pull from, that finding the 'needle in the haystack' for filling positions dont need hunting as much anymore. Those folks are going straight to the source or specialized temp agencies rather than the other way around.
Several colleagues recently have gone to where the new positions/hirings are, which is in the Bay Area. They gave up looking in SD about 6 months ago.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,187,556 times
I have a friend that works for a large recruiting firm and they have an office in San Diego. The telling thing to show just how bad the job market in San Diego is she told me is that her firm doesn't even work with any companies in the area. Only for other cities....

The job market is extremely tight in San Diego. It just seems to be one of those desirable places that many people want to move to for the weather. Personally, I wouldn't move to the area without a job lined up already or lots of savings...

Old 02-24-2011, 02:47 PM

124 posts, read 248,805 times
So just how bad the job market is in SD. Is it bad for every industry or to some of them?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM

4,536 posts, read 4,712,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduckmoore View Post
So just how bad the job market is in SD. Is it bad for every industry or to some of them?
We really dont have much by the way of 'industry' to begin with. Military, Tourism and other niche industries like wireless/cellular. With the exception of the military, the other indsutries are either seasonal or move rapidly and require lots of money to keep going. R&D more specifically.

For the things that SD has in those markets, its somewhat decent but there are other cities that have far more depth at the moment.

I advise against anyone coming here to be serious about career advancement in a large corporation without actually having the job in place first.

Its just a tough place to 'figure out my job later' after you get here without savings.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 AM

27 posts, read 29,984 times
We're not coming out without a job lined up, that's for sure. We're spending so much time on the other sites, I just thought it would be easier to work with someone who knew the market in SD. There are lots of jobs posted for the area; the problem is sorting through them all and my hope was a recruiter could cut to the chase. I found one on line but since I'm in MA, I don't know if it's reputable or works hard for you. That's why I'm looking for any recommendations on recruiters!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:49 AM

1,693 posts, read 3,017,768 times
For marketing job leads, I would suggest you connect with a recruiter from Aquent. They have an office near UTC/La Jolla just off the 805 around Governor Drive. Keep in mind, the job market is bad out here just like everywhere, but a recruiter might be able to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego