Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 14,798 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are moving to the SD area and we could use help on where to relocate to. We like an eclectic environment, and we have no kids. We live in a Chicago neighborhood now that has renovated, but still has a reputation for music clubs, record stores, and 2$ tacos, right next to more pricey restaurants if that's what we want, etc. We live in the neighborhood where the John Cusack/Jack Black film "Hi Fidelity" was filmed - if that gives you an idea.

Here's some likes and dislikes:

• We like being able to walk to everything (bank, dry cleaning, food, etc)
• We live in a condo now, and are looking for something similar. We're going to rent. We like the newly renovated housing stock in Chicago (open floor plans, tall ceilings etc.), but figure that might be harder to find in SD.
• I need to commute to Rancho Bernardo most days, so would like access to the roads to get there, but like the idea of living near the water.
• Like geographic diversity (i.e. not flat - views are nice)

In a nutshell, not ready for the burbs, want a nice place, like a laid-back environment, don’t mind just a little seediness in tha hood.

We've had the following suggested: Mission Beach, Mission Valley, Pacific Beach, Del Mar, Carlsbad, La Jolla, Solana beach. My guess is that these locations have very different vibes from each other.

Thanks for any ideas! We're having a tough time narrowing down the options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
How big of a place are you looking for? What's your housing budget?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:26 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Do you want a house or apartment? What type of amenities do you want?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Thanks for your reply. We're comfortable now with a 1800 / mos rental, but wouldnt mind decreasing that somewhat if we can. We want to continue renting - and am looking for a condo for rent (I have it in my mind that is preferable to an apartment having lived in condos for years). About a 1000 square feet is what we have now. No clue what that kind of money can get us at this point. We're trying to avoid big complexes if we have a choice.

Regarding neighborhoods ... Solana beach and Encinitas may be beautiful but a little small? Any thoughts about North PB, Mission Valley, or Mission Bay given the description of what we're looking for (realistic or not)? Some posts have indicated that living around Balboa Park will provide move of the eclectic urban / yet nice vibe we like here (near north Chicago)...but I guess I'm being naive and just getting into this. How about a place with a cool view, great restaurants, walkable, and not a bad commute to Rancho Bernardo. I'm starting to get the idea that nothign is too far from water in SD, though my wife would like to be able to walk the dog to water if possible.

I am a little nervous about the commute to Rancho Bernardo...but again I live in Chicago with 1.5 hour commutes...which admittedly is terrible...but id like the communte to be down to about 30 minutes - 45 max if possible. I may - just may - be commuting at off-peak hours as well, so that may be a bonus in my favor.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Oh yes, a couple more things...we like to jog, and I saw a couple of snapshots of the Mt. Helix area ... looks beautiful. Are jogging and Mt. Helix mutually exclusive?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:44 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
What breed and size is your dog? If it's a large dog and a prohibited breed you may have problems.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChi_to_SD View Post
Oh yes, a couple more things...we like to jog, and I saw a couple of snapshots of the Mt. Helix area ... looks beautiful. Are jogging and Mt. Helix mutually exclusive?
Absolutely! I cannot imagine a more un-pedestrian or jogging friendly place in San Diego than Mt. Helix. You can't walk ten feet without some huge SUV nearly running you off the narrow curving roads, with not a sidewalk to be found. You would be seriously risking your life to walk or jog there, I wouldn't ever consider living there just because of that. Its totally un-walkable.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 AM

Good question...we have a poodle mix (non-shedding 10 pounds). He thinks he's a big boy, but it's just funny.

That is a good thing to know about Mt. Helix...yikes.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
OK, I live in Chicago and used to live in San Diego so I can probably give you a few pointers. By the sounds of it you live in Wicker Park and are looking for a similar vibe in SD. Based on that I would check out the neighborhoods around Balboa Park, specifically North Park and South Park. If you want views near those areas you may want to look into Mission Hills, although it's more upscale and less funky. You would also have good highway access to the 163 and the 805 for heading up to RB.

My take on some other options you mentioned:

Mission Beach - Very active beach area, lots of tourists
Mission Valley - Extremely suburban and generic
Pacific Beach - Like Mission Beach but less tourists, has lots of amenities, young party crowd (think Wrigleyville on the beach), is tamer in North PB and Crown Point.
Del Mar - Upscale beach town (think Chicago North Shore suburb)
Carlsbad - like Del Mar but less desirable and more generic
La Jolla - also like Del Mar but with a more urban downtown area
Solana beach - pretty much the same as Del Mar
Encinitas - I like this town a lot. Is like a stereotypical little California beach town and is walkable

Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
OK, I live in Chicago and used to live in San Diego so I can probably give you a few pointers. By the sounds of it you live in Wicker Park and are looking for a similar vibe in SD. Based on that I would check out the neighborhoods around Balboa Park, specifically North Park and South Park. If you want views near those areas you may want to look into Mission Hills, although it's more upscale and less funky. You would also have good highway access to the 163 and the 805 for heading up to RB.

My take on some other options you mentioned:

Mission Beach - Very active beach area, lots of tourists
Mission Valley - Extremely suburban and generic
Pacific Beach - Like Mission Beach but less tourists, has lots of amenities, young party crowd (think Wrigleyville on the beach), is tamer in North PB and Crown Point.
Del Mar - Upscale beach town (think Chicago North Shore suburb)
Carlsbad - like Del Mar but less desirable and more generic
La Jolla - also like Del Mar but with a more urban downtown area
Solana beach - pretty much the same as Del Mar
Encinitas - I like this town a lot. Is like a stereotypical little California beach town and is walkable
+1. (I lived for a few years in the triangle, at Clark & Fullerton.) Except I think Solana Beach is more like Encinitas than Del Mar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego