Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 AM

15 posts, read 19,303 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'd love to move to San Diego( Carlsbad area or Encinnitas )...on the west coast in general.
I've read many pages here on the web about the KILLER BEES, the africanized honesy bees.
Are there many in San Diego?
Which counties in California are the less infestated by these bees?
Do you know anyone attacked by them?
Are they a real danger?
What about those brown widows??? Read about them as well...and seems they 've been established on the coastal villages in particular.
Please , hope you can help me with that!!
Now I'm a bit scared of moving to California.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM

58 posts, read 148,595 times
As long as you don't bother them, they won't bother you
If your letting insects prevent you from living in California...I don't know what to say...But there everywhere .
I love the bee's, they help pollinate the plants and give honey..

Brown widows? I dunno Black widows...Yes, but just squash them with a newspaper like I do.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 PM

I'm so worried because I read on many articles that killer bees are very territorial and first thing is to defend their hive! So they can attack everyone even if 1 Km far from the nest...and they go on being agitated ( and so dangerous) for the next 24 hours.
I read they are very sensible to vibrations, high pitch sounds, and even the smell of the fresh cut grass can make them to swarn and attack!
I read that almost all the bees in San Diego are killer bees.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxjol View Post
I'm so worried because I read on many articles that killer bees are very territorial and first thing is to defend their hive! So they can attack everyone even if 1 Km far from the nest...and they go on being agitated ( and so dangerous) for the next 24 hours.
I read they are very sensible to vibrations, high pitch sounds, and even the smell of the fresh cut grass can make them to swarn and attack!
I read that almost all the bees in San Diego are killer bees.
Yes, just about all Honey Bees here are Africanized Bees. I try to avoid the term Killer Bees, that to me implies that they're out to get you regardless of the other things a bees life entails.

Listen, I'm allergic to bee stings yet I've not been attacked by the bees here. While they are physically indistinguishable from the Italian Honey Bees we're used to (they actually are the same species), you can distinguish them by certain behavioral characteristics. If they nest in the ground or on object on it, they're Africanized. If they're buzzing around sweet sources like soda, that's also a clue. Basically if you're in San Diego you won't notice anything any different and everyone in San Diego goes about their lives with bees being the furthest thing from their minds. The media really likes to hype these things up. 10 years ago when the first AB's were found they really made a big deal about it. Guess what? Nothing bad has happened.

We have Black Widows as most of the US does. Not heard of a Brown Widow but we do have Brown Recluse Spiders. For Black Widows, unless you're outside foraging for something under logs or other cool dry places, you won't see a Black Widow. If you are doing that a Black Widow may be one of the things you're after lol. Brown Recluses sometimes get into houses but you will know them when you see them. Spider bites here are generally no more than anywhere else and quite likely less so than many places.

There may be plenty of reasons not to move to San Diego but insects and spiders certainly do not rank among those reasons.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 PM

321 posts, read 541,023 times
The brown widows are a recent arrival. I've seen exactly one only on the trail that runs next to 163 in Balboa Park, and it was the egg sac that got me looking closer....the sacs are unmistakable.

Foxjol, I'm wondering if your current safe location might be the best bet for you. We haven't told you about the rattlesnakes, black widows, mountain lions, and great whites yet. But worst of all are the human drivers at Mira Mesa & Black Mountain!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,791 times
I've come across two Brown Widows within the past 3 months. One on my former four story apt balcony, and one currently living in the gate hinge to the front of my yard. My apt. was against the Kendall-Frost Wetland Preserve, and my current residence is only a few streets away from it, so I'm not really surprised to see them. Brown Widows have the same crunchy webs as well as the same body as Black Widows. Though their coloration reminds me of Orb Weavers, (Way different web styles, and Orb Weavers are good spiders to have!) They also seem to be less timid in where they place their webs.

While dangerous, if you have pest control come out or just spray around your property yourself, you shouldn't have to worry about spiders in or around your home much.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjimbob View Post
The brown widows are a recent arrival. I've seen exactly one only on the trail that runs next to 163 in Balboa Park, and it was the egg sac that got me looking closer....the sacs are unmistakable.

Foxjol, I'm wondering if your current safe location might be the best bet for you. We haven't told you about the rattlesnakes, black widows, mountain lions, and great whites yet. But worst of all are the human drivers at Mira Mesa & Black Mountain!
That is the intersection from hell!!!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 AM

...and oh yes the Mountain Lions. Forgot about them and the rattlesnakes.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:03 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
Just had an attack yesterday in Alpine -

Bee Attack: Killer bee attack sends landscaper to hospital - KSWB

Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 AM

So these attacks happen to be more frequent lately....Tell me please.
I 'd really like to move to San Diego...but too many things are frightening me..
I'm seriously thinking to move to Toronto,Ontario!
I know...the opposite of San Diego...Snow there...But the city seems to be nice...Good transportation service(tube,buses)it's very safe there and spring and summer are very nice season to live there with all the green spaces, the parks ,central island and the lake beaches.
San Diego...looks great...But scares me because of those matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego