Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 12,433 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

Next year my wife and I are relocating to San Diego from Indy. Can you please advise on San Diego. We will be visiting in August for about 5 days.

The reason we are moving is for drastic change and to get away from the Midwest. Why we do not like it here: Indy is very spread out with only a few defined neighborhoods with any character. We currently live in a cookie-cutter suburb. There are few things to do outside of sports (huge here - high school, college, pro) We hate how much the weather changes from season to season and even day to day.

We are looking for neighborhoods with character, that are walkable, have access to public transportation, are pet friendly, safe (can leave windows open and where my wife can walk the dog at night without having to worry). She will be working for one of the universities. I will be working from home. Things we like: Parks, sports, local pubs, beach, local restaurants, festivals, dogs.

Housing budget to start would be around $2000/month. We would rent the first year. We have no kids and one cat/one dog. We are early 30s professionals.

My research has uncovered South Park, Ocean Beach, Clairmonte, Mission Hills, Hillcrest, North Park, University Heights and a few others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
walkable and some of the other amenities you mention do not always go hand in hand with a perfect safety record. I am not so sure about Clairmont but the rest probably fit the bill. OB and NP can get some people with issues but I would not consider them major. I think North Park has a ton of character, more so than OB. There are great little bungalows, dogs, and lots of indie restaurants. Hillcrest is even more dense population wise, which can also be frustrating to travel in and out of. Mission Hills is the most upscale, but it still retains character.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Which university? UCSD?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM

58 posts, read 148,591 times
Here in San Diego, we have a beach dedicated to dogs...It's called dog beach

Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I think you will find what you are looking for BUT I personally would never leave my windows open unless I was in the house/apt anywhere in SD. SD is a pretty safe city but it's not Mayberry!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I think you will find what you are looking for BUT I personally would never leave my windows open unless I was in the house/apt anywhere in SD. SD is a pretty safe city but it's not Mayberry!
I leave my windows open all the time when it's warm outside, and have never had a problem. My cat throws temper tantrums if he doesn't have any open windows, so I leave the two kitchen windows open in the winter for him.

Last edited by moved; 03-15-2011 at 04:04 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 04:00 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,289 times
I'm from Indiana, use to teach in Greenwood Um, there's lots of neighborhoods that you would like, do you want suburban, funky areas in the city (North Park, South Park, University Heights, Hillcrest, Normal Heights) Beach areas ( Pacific Beach, La Jolla, Del Mar, Mission Beach, ) Downtown condo living with access to the bay, shops, restaurants, clubs. . It will take you a year to explore all the different areas ( as you say, much more than what Indy has) So renting first as you explore areas that fit your lifestyle is best. Good Luck

Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I leave my windows open all the time when it's warm outside, and have never had a problem. My cat throws temper tantrums if he doesn't have any open windows, so I leave the two kitchen windows open in the winter for him.
that is funny. My midwestern cats (well one is actually originally from FL, but never went outside) LOVE their new California life. We have really nice enclosed patio with tons of plants, so they love going out there every morning...and if I am home around lunchtime they love it more b/c it gets tons of sunshine for a couple hours. The only time they won't go out is if it rains. wusses. With regard to the window question, ours have not been closed in months with the exception of when we went out of town, and in that case it was still ajar. We are in a reasonably secure courtyard so no issues.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
My cat is in a window sleeping when the sun is out. He likes it nice and warm, and he stays in it until the sun starts going down. He's a former outside cat that has no interest in going out anymore. He prefers living the indoor cat luxury life now

Old 03-26-2011, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandrew View Post
Greetings:

Next year my wife and I are relocating to San Diego from Indy. Can you please advise on San Diego. We will be visiting in August for about 5 days.

The reason we are moving is for drastic change and to get away from the Midwest. Why we do not like it here: Indy is very spread out with only a few defined neighborhoods with any character. We currently live in a cookie-cutter suburb. There are few things to do outside of sports (huge here - high school, college, pro) We hate how much the weather changes from season to season and even day to day.

We are looking for neighborhoods with character, that are walkable, have access to public transportation, are pet friendly, safe (can leave windows open and where my wife can walk the dog at night without having to worry). She will be working for one of the universities. I will be working from home. Things we like: Parks, sports, local pubs, beach, local restaurants, festivals, dogs.

Housing budget to start would be around $2000/month. We would rent the first year. We have no kids and one cat/one dog. We are early 30s professionals.

My research has uncovered South Park, Ocean Beach, Clairmonte, Mission Hills, Hillcrest, North Park, University Heights and a few others.
I relocated from Indy in Jan of 2010. I can only speak of my experience in North County; similar to Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville ... except MUCH better in terms of activities, diversity, and employment. Based on the type of neighborhood you're interested in, I definitely advise living IN San Diego, but you might want to take a look at Carlsbad too. I'm in Vista and pay around $1900 for a 2bd/2ba.

I enjoy the weather, I find it to be 2 seasons year round, kind of a solid 70 degrees.

I'm glad I made the move, it's definitely much nicer than living in Indy - especially now when it's like 30-40 degrees there, and mid60's here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego