U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 13,348 times
Default Going back to school for accounting degree?

I've been looking into going back to school to get an accounting degree and ultimately get my CPA license. However, I've noticed that many universities are offering accounting certificate programs which they say will allow you to sit for the CPA exam.

My question is, is it better to pursue a degree, or is an accounting certification program good enough? Do potential employers look more favorably on degrees?

Can anyone recommend the best Universities in San Diego that offer accounting certification programs? I already have a Bachelors degree in Political Science. I started law school a few years ago and absolutely found it horrible. All my buddies that have an accounting degree have good jobs.

I don't want to have to start over in University and take useless classes. Are there good programs in San Diego where I can take accounting certificate programs and then sit for the CPA exam? How long would it take?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM

2,155 posts, read 2,699,266 times
San Diego State has a good program: Charles W. Lamden School of Accountancy

Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM

1,045 posts, read 863,743 times
A friend of mine has a history/sociology BA double major, with a minor in accounting. He has a half decent job doing accounting work.

I have a BA in geography, but decided to go computer science after a few years in the work force. A university advisor told me it would be better to go for a MS in CS than for another bachelors. I did and it all worked out.

Perhaps that is an option for you. Go for an MBA with a focus on finance and accounting and get your CPA while you are at it.

There are a few threads in this San Diego sub forum about CPA jobs/careers. Look back a few weeks or do a search. They have good info. Perhaps you can direct message questions to some of the CPAs who have posted in those threads.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 13,348 times
Hey thanks guys! Much appreciated. Ill do a search and see but this is solid advice. I will look for some older posts but if anyone has ever done this id love to hear how long it took and if you successfully got a CPA license after. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,042,172 times
thats funny, that is exactly what i'm in the process of doing now.

since i already graduated with a double major in finance/management, all i need is 30 credit hours of accounting courses to get my 2nd bachelors degree. i would need 30 credits to get the certificate as well. since there is a time limit with how quickly you need to achieve these 30 credits for the certificate, i'm going with the 2nd degree since there is no time limit and i'm sure it looks better on a resume as well.

then i plan on taking the cpa exam, passing all 4 parts and moving to San Diego

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,042,172 times
i actually only need 21 credits before i am eligible to sit for the CPA exam. i don't know if i'll take all 30 credits and get the 2nd degree before sitting for the CPA exam, or take 21 credits, sit for the exam, and then finish the remaining 9

to get your CPA license you will need 1 year of general accounting experience to be verified by a CPA. at least thats how it is here in VA. luckily i'm already working at a job that meets the generic qualifications

Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 863,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
i actually only need 21 credits before i am eligible to sit for the CPA exam. i don't know if i'll take all 30 credits and get the 2nd degree before sitting for the CPA exam, or take 21 credits, sit for the exam, and then finish the remaining 9

to get your CPA license you will need 1 year of general accounting experience to be verified by a CPA. at least thats how it is here in VA. luckily i'm already working at a job that meets the generic qualifications
In a previous thread, some mentioned that there are California-specific requirements for a CPA here.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM

2,155 posts, read 2,699,266 times
Here are the current and future CPA requirements: CPA Requirements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego