Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times

Advertisements

Yeah, there really is no "sale" or discount necessarily for the customers. The "sale" is actually for the liquidation company. Its like a junk debt business where they literally buy all the assets for pennies on the dollar. It was not so 10-15 years ago when the Chapter 7 or 11 filing company would have some responsibility in dumping these assets. Now its just far easier getting it off the books quick and easy to the liquidation co's.

Bookstores, video stores and some music chains are dinosaurs now when it comes to brick and mortar stores. I dont think they have ever had a strategy to become relevant in the digital age.

The real gatekeepers in the digital age will be the ones that have dynamic access to vast organized info and prices that reflect the value of the service. This is not a new idea, just the approach will require clever mapping as we shift towards intangible ways to obtain information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Bookstores, video stores and some music chains are dinosaurs now when it comes to brick and mortar stores. I dont think they have ever had a strategy to become relevant in the digital age.

So, so true. Just look at "dinosaurs" like Blockbuster Video. They refused to face reality and keep up with technology. Even in the face of reality many years ago, they ignored it and busted. That will happen to more companies that don't face the realities of technology and how to utilize it.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
This is not quite true. There are only two serious brick & mortar book retailer chains in this country, Borders and B&N. Their list prices are identical. Of the two I always found Borders to be more convenient. For example, you can sign up for free membership and you'll be getting emails with coupons. I don't remember the last time I paid retail at Borders: I always have a coupon for 30% off or 33% off in my mailbox. On the other hand, B&N membership costs $25/year.

Until recently, B&N web site did not allow you to check if they had a certain book in stock in any of their local stores. Borders had this feature for as long as I remember.

Of the two, it is B&N that should be going out of business.
For books, I would agree that the only two big ones left are Borders and B&N, sure. However, Borders does sell quite a bit of digital media as well. Not being a huge reader (maybe 2-3 books a year but quite a few magazines), the only reason I would venture in to Borders would be for the digital media, but their prices were simply outrageous compared to any of the competition.

Mike

Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
I agree. When I was there for their closeout, DVDs and Blue Rays were going for $15-$25 a piece. Where's the deal there?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Sales like this can be great, but you need to be familiar with list prices and how liquidations work. No, nothing is "30% above retail." It's just that retail is a lot more than most people who shop at Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc are used to. The liquidation companies are only good at making people think that bad sales are good to people who don't know any better.

I agree with whiteboyslo that most books (and CDs) aren't decently priced until they're 50% off.

If you are on their mailing list, they'll send you notices whenever the sales increase (i.e. everything 30-50% off, 40-60% off, etc). Just assume that the books and CDs are usually the least discounted. i.e. if everything's 40-60, then the books and CDs would be 40% off. However, at 40-60% off the graphic novels were 50%, which was pretty cool. Now, at least at the Borders up here, everything is 50-70% off. But it generally takes about a month to get to this level.

However, sdjimbob isn't quite correct in saying the Circuit City sale was just as bad. The good deals hit sooner there -- because list price at Circuit City was already discounted from retail.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 498 times
I guess I was feeling a bit masochistic this morning when I looked up Borders. I am a former employee for the Carmel Mt Ranch store #111. I loved that store. It was the best place to work EVER. It was also the perfect example of top management getting it SO wrong. It is too bad. Literacy is taking a nose dive. Brick and Mortar stores invite reading. A child is not going to go online and browse books. However, when a parent brings their child/children into the store with them that child will have the opportunity to SEE books and want one or two.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon_Dancer View Post
I guess I was feeling a bit masochistic this morning when I looked up Borders. I am a former employee for the Carmel Mt Ranch store #111. I loved that store. It was the best place to work EVER. It was also the perfect example of top management getting it SO wrong. It is too bad. Literacy is taking a nose dive. Brick and Mortar stores invite reading. A child is not going to go online and browse books. However, when a parent brings their child/children into the store with them that child will have the opportunity to SEE books and want one or two.
True, but the local library is good for looking at books too.
[Sorry you can no longer work at Store #111. Hopefully you found a career replacement that suited you.]
[[Just making a contribution to the zombie thread vibe.]]

Old 06-26-2017, 11:23 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
K Mart VS WalMart= Winner is WalMart
Montgomery Wards VS Sears = Winner is Sears.
Best Buy VS Circuit City= Winner Best Buy.
Barnes and Noble VS Borders=Winner Barnes and Noble.

K Mart is actually still in business with 2 more stores in San Ysidro and then in Spring Valley, but WalMart is the clear winner. I suppose WalMart's true competition has always been Target.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
WalMart is the clear winner. I suppose WalMart's true competition has always been Target.
WalMart's true competitor is Amazon

Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
WalMart's true competitor is Amazon
Target is trying to go Amazon. Should be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: