Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:47 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_smartypants View Post
Thanks so much for all the input. The reason I am thinking of leasing is since I haven't driven in so long, I don't want to make such a huge commitment to a car before getting back into the habit of driving and also seeing firsthand what makes the most sense for me. Of course I'd *love* a convertible, but price and gas mileage will have to take precidence over that I'm afraid. Ugh I forgot about insurance. Can you tell it's been a long time? Approximately how much is that per month on something like a camry or jetta?
Mssmartypants,

For car insurance quotes...just go to a site like http://www.geico.com/getaquote/ and plug in various types of cars and you can get an almost exact quote of how much car insurance will be. You can play around with the deductibles. Or you can call them and they will give you various scenarios for prices. It at least will give you a very good idea on the different prices you might pay for insurance.

I'd recommend if you're totally in the dark on prices, you go to a website like New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com and plug in the price budget of what you have to work with and then the size/type of car. There you can see prices, read reviews and see what might work. The great thing is there are reviews from professionals and reviews from everyday Americans on the various cars so that should be helpful.

DirtMagurt, I've always been a big fan of BMWs. One saved my dad's life when I was younger. On a snowy day, the roads were really slick and he hit an 18 wheeler head on. This was on the highway going at a fairly high speed. The impact was so tremendous that the car battery ended up in the front seat of the car and on impact, the 18 wheeler flipped over. The car was totally demolished and he almost died. The doctors said he probably would have died in any other car. These Germans build cars built like tanks. So many times I think about safety vs. just gas mileage after seeing photos of what the car ended up looking like.

Good luck!

Last edited by NewToCA; 04-06-2011 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 AM

20 posts, read 36,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Well, again, it'd be easier to recommend a car if we had a more specific list of parameters. What's your price ceiling? Are you OK buying used? Do you have a need/want for lots of passenger space or cargo space? Etc.

As for insurance, it's so apples-and-oranges that any number someone is going to give you is anecdotal at best. Unless the person answering is your same age, sex, drives the exact same car, lives right next to you, has the same driving record, has the same credit report, etc, their response would be almost meaningless. What I would suggest is finding one or two insurance companies that give online quotes and playing around with it based on a few models of cars that you already have in mind.

Mike
Oh of course. It's just that I am so lost with all of this that ANY sort of jumping off point/advice is helpful! Basically in terms of price ceiling, I'm hoping not to pay more than $400 or $500 a month on all things car, including monthly payment, gas, and insurance. But it's hard to figure out how to break that down since I'm so far removed from it all.

In terms of space, I don't want an SUV, because they freak me out and I just generally don't like them. For cost and conscience reasons I want something that is going to get good gas mileage. I want something smallish I think. I will be riding with my dog (a 40lb lively shepherd mix) a fair amount so I want to be able to fit him and a passenger without anyone being squashed. I will be working from home, so won't have a daily commute but assume I will have to drive everywhere else, i.e. the beach, the supermarket, restaurants etc., which will obviously be a change for me, but I really miss driving so I'm kind of excited for it.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 AM

20 posts, read 36,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Mssmartypants,

For car insurance quotes...just go to a site like GEICO | Get a Quote - See how GEICO can take care of all your insurance needs and plug in various types of cars and you can get an almost exact quote of how much car insurance will be. You can play around with the deductibles. Or you can call them and they will give you various scenarios for prices. It at least will give you a very good idea on the different prices you might pay for insurance.

I'd recommend if you're totally in the dark on prices, you go to a website like New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com and plug in the price budget of what you have to work with and then the size/type of car. There you can see prices, read reviews and see what might work. The great thing is there are reviews from professionals and reviews from everyday Americans on the various cars so that should be helpful.

DirtMagurt, I've always been a big fan of BMWs. One saved my dad's life when I was younger. On a snowy day, the roads were really slick and he hit an 18 wheeler head on. This was on the highway going at a fairly high speed. The impact was so tremendous that the car battery ended up in the front seat of the car and on impact, the 18 wheeler flipped over. The car was totally demolished and he almost died. The doctors said he probably would have died in any other car. These Germans build cars built like tanks. So many times I think about safety vs. just gas mileage after seeing photos of what the car ended up looking like.

Good luck!
Thanks, that's incredibly helpful! I will definitely check out those sites. In terms of safety, that's a very good point. (Though I know nothing about cars, something tells me I won't be able to afford a bmw any time soon, as much as I'd like to.) I've heard VWs are very safe though, I might look into one of those. It's definitely an important consideration. I was taught by an incredible defensive driving teacher, but since it's been 12 years since I've driven with any regularity, I'm quite nervous about it.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
$500 a month all inclusive (gas, insurance, car repairs, etc...) is a hard price point to meet for any car I would consider owning but my needs/desires are obviously not the same as yours (or else you'd already own a car ). I'd definately go for something used and buy even though you said you're thinking about leasing. If you change your mind in a few years and want a different car you won't lose much on a late model used car since someone else already took most of the depreciation hit for you plus if you decide to keep it then the long term ownership costs will be lower than if you leased. Based on what you've said I'd look for a 2000-2006 Honda Civic four door.

2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

They'll cost between $5000-$8000 depending on the year and options, they're rock solid reliable, they get good gas mileage, they're fairly cheap to insure, they have high resale value for when you want to sell it, and most reviewers say it's one of the best (if not the best) small car in America for the money. With $2000 down and halfway decent credit you should be able to pay ~$230 per month on a 24 month loan which will get you in well under your $500 per month all costs included target price.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 AM

116 posts, read 251,406 times
You sound like a good fit for something like a TDI jetta or similar.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_smartypants View Post
O Basically in terms of price ceiling, I'm hoping not to pay more than $400 or $500 a month on all things car, including monthly payment, gas, and insurance. But it's hard to figure out how to break that down since I'm so far removed from it all.

Fortunately you work from home as gas is really expensive in California. That is a super low budget considering you need all of those things included. I doubt any insurance will be less than at least $100 a month and gas i'd think even with working from home you'd still spend at least $150 a month. It's so beautiful there that you'll find yourself driving around...especially if you have a dog. So that potentially only leaves around $150 or $200 a month which is going to be really really difficult on anything new.

I'd go with Oerdin's suggestion of a used car. Not sure you will be able to afford a new car and definitely you do NOT want to live above your means and buy a car you can't afford. Only buy what you can afford.

I'd say buy a used car with a really dependable track record. Toyota's last forever. In college I had a Toyota Cressida that had been passed down to me. I think by the time I finished college I had over 300,000 miles on it! Hondas and Toyotas run forever and relatively maintenance free so that's probably your best bet.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
As far as insurance, I would suggest you check out AAA. They may not be the rock-bottom cheapest, but they're competitive- the big bonus is that they are INCREDIBLY helpful when stuff goes down, and it's really REALLY a big plus to not have to be fighting your insurance company for payment once you've had an accident or something.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I think the OP, given her gender, probable age, and estimated amount of yearly mileage, could easily find insurance for under $100/month.

If you choose a Honda or a Toyota, it's best for you to park it in a garage. Japanese cars are the most stolen in San Diego.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
A convertible. It's So Cal. How could anyone live in So Cal and not have a convertible? My white lab, Gracie, and I are extremely comfortable in our '00 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. It only has 40k miles on it, gets 25 mpg when driven by an old man like me, is comfortable, easy to get in and out of, and best of all, only cost me $6,000 3 yrs ago when I bought it with 30k miles on it. Insurance is about $40 per month.

So I would say, wise up and forget buying a new car, or leasing one either. You can get a gorgeous used BMW or Lexus convertible for $20-25k, or even a lesser convertible like a VW beetle with low mileage for $15-20k.

Drive topless, enjoy the sun and ocean breeze, and get into the lifestyle you will be living in.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 AM

177 posts, read 398,783 times
PT Cruiser convertible... now THAT is one sweet ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego