U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM

34 posts, read 33,723 times

Advertisements

Here we go,

The cost of these two cities is about the same, maybe more to live around Boston..

So why live with the weather of Boston when you can have San Diego?

Assume everything else was equal, you are a single person..

I need advice as Diego is a place Id really like to go to .. (from Boston)

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 PM

394 posts, read 496,715 times
I was entertaining Boston for grad school with other options in SD and AZ...Boston just wasnt worth it. The COL is almost if not higher than SD. You pay quite a bit of money for a run down apartment with not so ideal weather and no beaches (and no palm trees.. which is a no-no)

I visited Boston in winter and disliked it due to weather and congestion... Once you get to SD, you would never want to leave. I freely traveled in and out of downtown and with the scenery, you don't even mind being stuck in traffic (well, at first).

I think the people are cooler and more inviting in SD as well.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,621,374 times
Boston's better for school, it's the country's biggest college town. After that, depends on who you are and what you do. Great place to be a scientist or academic.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM

16 posts, read 21,611 times
B/C we are creatures of habit and New England has such deep roots... I however am a huge fan of SD! My mom moved us out of the Boston area to SD in '91 b/c she wanted me to experience new things... I can't wait to be in SD again. I have been east again for soooo long but I am fried on it. I have been fried on this coast for many years but my husband's school keeps us here. But for very comparable COL I want to be warm and outside!
On another note- I think people are down right scared to move. Many people will always say to someone who wants to move, "you'll be back", "you won't last" etc. and the negative vibe stops people from doing something new. I always tell the kids that work for me to go away and enjoy. If you hate it, you can go somewhere else or come home... if you move they won't build a fence that stops your return!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,083,157 times
cost of SD > BO with respect to home ownership

Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 PM

10,454 posts, read 14,015,627 times
I've never been to Boston but I'd imagine if you like a more urban setting, urban/northeast culture and location, 4 seasons, and are more career oriented Boston would be better overall. SD is filled with Boston transplants though and almost all seem happy with SD. Completely depends on what you value and what you're looking for, SD can be paradise for some, hell for others.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,733,399 times
I think Boston is a pretty cool town, but prefer to live in San Diego. I love that both are on the coast, but the weather in Boston is pretty bad. Plus the people can be pretty obnoxious, and I am sure it is the most dangerous place to drive in the US. Thanks goodness the public transportation is good. A big plus of Boston besides the acedemic institutions, is it has a ton of character. It is an older city so it is full off all kinds of quirky, charming places. But who cares what I think. You need to decide.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 PM

418 posts, read 670,249 times
S.D. has great looking women. I had to go all the way to Boston to find one ugly enough to want to be with me. I felt like I was in hog heaven when I was in Boston. So don't come to S.D. if you don't fit in with good looking people.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 AM

4,536 posts, read 4,871,052 times
Assuming everything was equal and you are a single person?

Since this comes down to money and being single and you are from the east coast....

Girl friends I have here in San Diego pretty much loathe east coast men on the whole. I am talking about the ones with terrible townie accents+arrogant attitudes=they think they know more than you. I know for my wife, its like nails on a chalkboard. The accents alone can make a genius sound like an imbecile. However, the smarter ones do really well, but they can travel anywhere, not just SD. They seem to be more open or better exposed to other environments.

ON the other hand, most east coast transplants I know here, hang out with each other exclusively like its a cool kids club. Very insular in nature and a "they dont get it like we get it" attitude. Most of them leave after a year or 3 because they get "the guilt" from their family or realize they are not as tough as they thought they were having to pave their own way without some family connection or something. The ones that do stay here are able to adapt and really want to be here.

The sentiment above is not exclusive to SD or East Coasters, it can happen anywhere. I lived throughout Europe for several and you get the same "types".
The two coasts tend to generally have different attitudes and this in turn can affect the laws of attraction for a single guy or girl. Where you may have had game where you are from, that magic might not work as well in other places.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 AM

298 posts, read 316,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
S.D. has great looking women. I had to go all the way to Boston to find one ugly enough to want to be with me. I felt like I was in hog heaven when I was in Boston. So don't come to S.D. if you don't fit in with good looking people.
Hahaha ARR-OOOO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego