Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM

47 posts, read 253,775 times

Advertisements

My partner is working in Long Beach and we currently live in Northern California. We were considering moving to San Gabriel Valley or Orange County. However, now that he has seen home prices in Oceanside, he is considering a move there. We understand it will easily be a 2 hour commute each way and he only needs to go into the office three days per week. The trade off is that we would be able to own a home and I could stay home with my son.

My question is: Is Oceanside a safe place to raise a family? It had a very bad rep several years ago with major gang problems, so I am concerned.

By law, our Realtor cannot tell us which neighborhoods are "good" and which are "bad". We are coming down to look around on the 29th and want to know which neighborhoods to avoid and which would be nice family-oriented neighborhoods. We would also need to know which middle schools and high schools are good. We are looking to spend up to $360K

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
I know very little about Oceanside but I have heard an area called Henie Hills is real nice.

I'm pretty sure this house is in Henie Hills:
SDLookup.com | 3418*Putter*Pl - MLS# 110014637

Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
My family lives In Oside and they have not had any issues. Family neighborhoods people watch out for one another. I think you will be ok....as a father I have wandered around there walking and driving and not seen anything much that disturbed me. No break ins in their street for 3 years....

Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Today's Union Trib ran an article about the Crypts (gangs) in Oceanside

'Operation Vice Grip' targets prostitution - SignOnSanDiego.com

I wouldn't say don't live in Oceanside but be very aware of where you are living in Oceanside, some areas are much worse than others. Trust me, I used to work at City Hall

Edited to add: Have you considered Temecula area?

Last edited by Bakeneko; 04-19-2011 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,209 times
It is fine, just watch out for the Van Buren Boys. It would be best if you would learn their gang sign just in case you ever meet up with them.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
I don't know about safety, but consider renting for a year before buying. Yes, it is a huge pain in the arse, but a mistake such as buying in an area still depreciating or just not liking the neighborhood and selling before the market has recovered will cost you tens of thousands. If you rent in O'side you can decide if the low cost prices are worth the the horrid commute. In the end you many decide to choose something more modest closer to your spouses work.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM

177 posts, read 398,880 times
Oceanside is sketchy. I remember when the main street used to be called Hill St. They then had to change it to something else because things just got so bad. People would just go down there to shoot up drugs and commit crimes. I know it sounds silly that they would change the name for that, but things just got so bad.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 AM

47 posts, read 253,775 times
Bakeneko - thank you for the link. I thought Oceanside's gang problems had diminished...I guess not. Temecula is too far away. I may go back to my original plan and check out Orange County or Chino Hills. Chino Hills has similar homes prices and is closer to work by an hour.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Sadly, no if anything I think the gangs have gotten worse in O'side.

We chose not to live there despite spending many years stationed at Camp Pendleton. While O'side is quite large - and some of the neighborhoods are safe - I didnt want to live somewhere where I ended up popping in and out of bad areas just running errands, KWIM?

I worked for several years at City Hall - and I was really nervous any time I had to work past sundown or attend council meetings at night.

We were downtown a couple of months ago and I was shocked at the increase in homeless persons.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 PM

128 posts, read 284,927 times
The schools in Oceanside are not very good at all. Houses are cheaper then Orange County but honestly it's not worth it for the schools here. There are some great elementary ones here but once you get to the middle/high school level not so much. Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego