Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,002 times

Advertisements

hi

me and my roommate are looking to move to san diego...we are both 25 yrs old, single girls

ive seen alot of postings that people in san diego are not freindly according to some? imo coming from boston the people in san diego will be comparably friendlier. i would like some insight on this...

also we both want to look for jobs downtown, so where would be the best place to look for an apartment to keep us from having a long commute...i would also possibly like to take public transport to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 05:28 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
I'm not that friendly to outsiders but SD is an ok place.A vast majority of my friends/family are anti-tourist;we don't want them here.But some of us do.As of living here,it's real easy to adjust I guess.SD is diverse and let's most people just be themselves.Places for an apartment that are close to DTWN:Lemon Grove,CV,S.SD,Mission Valley,Point Loma.The public transport here in SD sucks so much(my opinion).I hope you like it here,and I'm glad to help with any other questions you might have.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiey25 View Post
hi

me and my roommate are looking to move to san diego...we are both 25 yrs old, single girls

ive seen alot of postings that people in san diego are not freindly according to some? imo coming from boston the people in san diego will be comparably friendlier. i would like some insight on this...

also we both want to look for jobs downtown, so where would be the best place to look for an apartment to keep us from having a long commute...i would also possibly like to take public transport to work.
Compared to Boston you will find SD'ers positively warm and charming

Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
Unfortunately, you'll have to leave any and all Red Sox paraphernalia in Boston.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:45 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Neighborhoods close to downtown are (see link to neighborhood maps):

Mission Hills
Hillcrest
Park West
Little Italy
Downtown
Golden Hill
South Park
North Park
University Heights

These have reasonable frequency of bus service to Downtown. Some of these bus routes are jammed with riders. Outside of this central core the city was designed with cars in mind not people and the bus service is just too time consuming.

Beyond the older city center neighborhoods your best residential bets for reaching downtown quickly via public transit are along the trolley system, perhaps Lemon Grove, La Mesa, and Mission Valley. While the trolley travels south through National City and western Chula Vista, I wouldn't recommend them. Eastern Chula Vista is decent, but not close to public transit.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:23 PM

18 posts, read 89,194 times
I don't know why people get their knickers in such a twist over tourists. I think traveling is amazing and people should be embraced. Educate them not to leave their garbage behind but if the tourist leave, the city will certainly feel the effect of their dollar leaving too.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:26 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calihappy View Post
I don't know why people get their knickers in such a twist over tourists. I think traveling is amazing and people should be embraced. Educate them not to leave their garbage behind but if the tourist leave, the city will certainly feel the effect of their dollar leaving too.
Yeah it's nonsense. If the tourists weren't here, it would be because the place was somewhere no-one wanted to visit.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:51 PM

18 posts, read 89,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Yeah it's nonsense. If the tourists weren't here, it would be because the place was somewhere no-one wanted to visit.
And it makes that spot that only the locals know about that much more special.

When I lived in London I used to live up the street from Notting Hill and I would be stopped about 5 times on my way to get coffee asking 'Where is the blue door?" meaning Hugh Grant's flat in the movie. It's kinda charming.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM

74 posts, read 370,916 times
I came here in my 20's from upstate NY, I had some family that moved out here previously. I got a job working for the Navy. I would suggest getting some job offers before you get out here. The economy is pretty soft right now. You can take the trolley from La Mesa, El Cajon, south bay or Mission Valley.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 13,766 times
And expect to pay high prices for rent. But coming from Boston, they may be high there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego