Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 10:15 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times

Advertisements

Is it me, or do many of you notice the uptick in these trucks? Going to work in the mornings I literally lose count on how many cement, gravel, and other hauling trucks I see on the freeways during my morning commute.

The obvious issue here is they throw small pieces of gravel causing all kinds of rock chips on my windshield, the hood, and the bumper that looks like it’s going to need to be repainted soon.

Where the heck do all these trucks end up anyway? I rarely if ever seen these types of vehicles actually posted up somewhere doing construction or road repair.

The amount of damage that they can cause is understated because eventually windshields are going to have to be replaced on people’s cars from rock chips literally causing visibility problems because of all the distortion chips can cause especially when you have hundreds of them all over.

I just wish something could be done to force these vehicles to seal up their rigs better to prevent flying rocks and cement pieces from damaging drivers vehicles. Even driving at a far distance behind them or trying to avoid them altogether helps a little, but even being in the fast lane or 2 lanes next to these trucks still doesn’t completely spare you from damage as the debris flys all over the place.

Have any of you noticed the increase in these particular trucks/semi’s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 10:31 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Is it me, or do many of you notice the uptick in these trucks? Going to work in the mornings I literally lose count on how many cement, gravel, and other hauling trucks I see on the freeways during my morning commute.

The obvious issue here is they throw small pieces of gravel causing all kinds of rock chips on my windshield, the hood, and the bumper that looks like it’s going to need to be repainted soon.

Where the heck do all these trucks end up anyway? I rarely if ever seen these types of vehicles actually posted up somewhere doing construction or road repair.

The amount of damage that they can cause is understated because eventually windshields are going to have to be replaced on people’s cars from rock chips literally causing visibility problems because of all the distortion chips can cause especially when you have hundreds of them all over.

I just wish something could be done to force these vehicles to seal up their rigs better to prevent flying rocks and cement pieces from damaging drivers vehicles. Even driving at a far distance behind them or trying to avoid them altogether helps a little, but even being in the fast lane or 2 lanes next to these trucks still doesn’t completely spare you from damage as the debris flys all over the place.

Have any of you noticed the increase in these particular trucks/semi’s?
Yes. The city has a historic level of building going on.

I’ve replaced two windshields in the past five years and I’ve had three major tire blowouts in the past decade one I know of was small toolbox out of a work truck - blew two tires. I can’t even keep count of something hard flying and hitting my windshield.

There should be a mandatory cover rule for hauling gravel and other items. What little police presence we have they don’t mind oversized loads of stuff flying out of trucks.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Well, we know what they aren't doing and that is fixing pot holes.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, we know what they aren't doing and that is fixing pot holes.

Oh I know right.

Even the mayor Faulconer promised all this money going towards infrastructure improvements for the city and I haven’t seen much of any kind of road repair going on at all. All those chunks of broken concrete and asphalt throws up pieces of it into the air as well. The state increase in the gas tax should also help with repairs, but it’s the same thing like always, the state and local governments raise taxes, yet the public never truly sees the real benefits of it. This is what I have been starting to realize more than ever and it’s just getting worse especially here in CA.

Yes I agree with you EastCoast, just within the past few months I’ve seen way more gravel trucks. Not sure where they’re all going though. I do know many of these companies are located in East County (El Cajon, Lakeside). They are definitely not going to fixing our roads that’s for sure, so it’s obvious it’s for housing construction.

What would help tremendously in preventing gravel damage to people cars is if they used a completely sealed mandated top. I’ve seen those lame tarp looking things they use to try to prevent bigger pieces from flying out, but it’s simply not enough. Unless mass people complain to state officials about this problem, this will continue without any oversight or enforcement.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:49 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Oh I know right.

Even the mayor Faulconer promised all this money going towards infrastructure improvements for the city and I haven’t seen much of any kind of road repair going on at all. All those chunks of broken concrete and asphalt throws up pieces of it into the air as well. The state increase in the gas tax should also help with repairs, but it’s the same thing like always, the state and local governments raise taxes, yet the public never truly sees the real benefits of it. This is what I have been starting to realize more than ever and it’s just getting worse especially here in CA.

Yes I agree with you EastCoast, just within the past few months I’ve seen way more gravel trucks. Not sure where they’re all going though. I do know many of these companies are located in East County (El Cajon, Lakeside). They are definitely not going to fixing our roads that’s for sure, so it’s obvious it’s for housing construction.

What would help tremendously in preventing gravel damage to people cars is if they used a completely sealed mandated top. I’ve seen those lame tarp looking things they use to try to prevent bigger pieces from flying out, but it’s simply not enough. Unless mass people complain to state officials about this problem, this will continue without any oversight or enforcement.
Ziiiing

Old 06-23-2019, 02:43 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Your best bet is if you see one on the freeway, stay as far away from it as possible. Usually they are in the slow lanes, so keep as far left when passing.

I get annoyed when I see "Not Responsible for broken windshields" posted on the back of these gravel trucks.

Quote:
Oh I know right.
Not sure where they’re all going though. I do know many of these companies are located in East County (El Cajon, Lakeside). .
Yup, there are a couple of big rock quarries in Lakeside near San Vicente Dam.

Also, I've been in SD since 2003 and they've been hauling out of Mission Valley as long as I can remember.....where the Civita complex is North of Friars Road.

Carrol Canyon in Mira Mesa is also another area where there has been constant excavating since I've arrived. It's a damn shame, that was a beautiful canyon too replaced by ugly warehouses and business parks.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Ziiiing
Right.

Not to get too political, but I’m afraid with Newsom as our GOV, he’s going
to go on a rampage of tax increases for everything. Of course, as always,
We’ll never see it put to good use.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Your best bet is if you see one on the freeway, stay as far away from it as possible. Usually they are in the slow lanes, so keep as far left when passing.

I get annoyed when I see "Not Responsible for broken windshields" posted on the back of these gravel trucks.

Yup, there are a couple of big rock quarries in Lakeside near San Vicente Dam. Also, I've been in SD since 2003 and they've been hauling out of Mission Valley as long as I can remember.....where the Civita complex is.

Yeah I try to stay as far back as possible, but even then, the gravel is kick up by vehicles in front of me at times.

I guess what will reduce the number of those trucks on the roadways will be less housing and commercial development. San Diego is already becoming maxed out in terms of available developable land, so we’ll see.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:02 PM

587 posts, read 443,717 times
I had to replace 3 windshields on my car in 3 years when I drove 52 east from La Jolla for work.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
I had to replace 3 windshields on my car in 3 years when I drove 52 east from La Jolla for work.
That sucks I’m sorry to hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego