U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:55 PM

5,043 posts, read 8,483,049 times

Advertisements

So a week before we moved into this house (we are renters), the neighbors next door got a dog. This means that when we looked at the house, this dog was not there. Moving day comes and all we hear is incessant barking. We figured the dog is just hearing us move and is barking, no big deal.

Fast forward to us living here. They leave the dog out all day and half the night. Our first week here, the dog was out after midnight, just barking and barking away. Their side door is approximately 10 feet from our bedroom window and we are the only neighbors affected by this damn dog, since their house and side door borders our bedroom window. My husband went over to talk to them the next day, and the white trash woman living there got all defensive and said her dog never barks! Meanwhile, you can hear the dog in the background as we are talking to them.

After several nights of no sleep, we've had enough. This past Sunday, they let the damn dog out at 1am. I've been recording the barking on my iPhone every single time that it happens after 11pm. I called the non-emergency police number to see if anything could be done, and they said no. Is that really true? You can let your dog bark incessantly at 1am without reprecussions? My husband again went to their house at 1am on Sunday and this time both the husband and wife got defensive, saying the dog has a right to be out and that he's "only" been barking for 5 minutes.

Honestly, I don't care if it's 2 minutes, it's 1am and we are so sick and tired of being woken up night after night. I'm pregnant and we will have a baby soon. We plan on keeping the baby in our bedroom for the first few months, though I'm not sure how that will work with this damn dog waking us up every couple of hours. Here is a video I took on Sunday night. You can only hear the dog, since it's 1am and pitch black outside, and it's short because the iPhone wouldn't let me email the full clip so I had to choose, but you get the idea. This is recorded from our bedroom (bed to be exact), windows closed. We hear this night after night. Is there really nothing we can do? Clearly talking to these people is not working, as we have tried to be civil twice and they just will not listen.

If we really can't do anything legally, we plan on going to their house every single time this dog barks after 11pm and banging loudly on their door. They have 2 young kids so I'm sure they will love them being woken up in the middle of the night. This morning the dog was let out shortly before 6am. I don't understand what they are getting from a dog that does nothing but bark incessantly the second he steps outside. We have 2 dogs ourselves, and they never bark. If they did, they'd be brought inside because we would never want to disturb neighbors. And we also never leave them outside unattended. Not sure why others lack this common sense.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 04:24 PM

4,536 posts, read 4,866,937 times
Mak,

Noise and other neighborly issues are generally a code enforcement issue for any City.
Animal Noise Questions, Neighborhood Code Compliance Department

Old 04-27-2011, 04:26 PM

2,995 posts, read 6,833,241 times
Yes there is a noise ordinance in San Diego. The police won't take action unless 3 different neighbors join together to complain.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM

That's what the lady said when I called, we need 3 neighbors. But how if we are the only ones able to hear him? The way the houses are positioned, he can only run up and down where our windows are, particularly our bedroom window. If we open our window, we can reach over and grab him that is how close he is to us. It's just mind boggling that they can get away with allowing him to bark for close to an hour every single night after 11pm and not get penalized for it. And then scream at us when we go over at 1am to ask them to please bring him in.

He barks all day too (my husband works from home and hears him all day). But we don't care, it's daytime and it's not really affecting us (other than when my H is on conference calls and all they hear is a dog barking). It's the 1am wake up calls that really are getting old.

The link shmoov posted said 2 neighbors that are adjacent to any part of the property...the only other one is next to them, on the other side. And, they are selling their house so I doubt they'd want to get involved. We are friends with other neighbors on the street, maybe we can get them to sign with us, regardless if they are affected.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:23 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,615,442 times
Noise ordinance is barely enforced in San Diego. You need the 3 neighbors to call - we did it and problem was solved in a week.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Noise ordinance is barely enforced in San Diego. You need the 3 neighbors to call - we did it and problem was solved in a week.
So if we get 2 others to agree, do we call a specific number? I'm assuming calling 911 for something like this is probably not a good idea since technically it's not an emergency.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
So if we get 2 others to agree, do we call a specific number? I'm assuming calling 911 for something like this is probably not a good idea since technically it's not an emergency.
Everyone calls police non-emergency and register a noise complaint at the same time.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:47 PM

3,708 posts, read 6,944,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I was one of 3 people who complained about a barking dog that lived across the street a couple years ago. It was actually my immediate next door neighbor who started the process and I believe I had to sign a form. Lo and behold, the barking stopped shortly after.

I feel for you, MAK......call the number in link below NOW to end this nonsense! Good luck and keep us posted.

Animal Noise Questions, Neighborhood Code Compliance Department

Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 PM

593 posts, read 664,452 times
This sucks, at least it's not a hound dog, at least 3 of my neighbors have hound dogs and this one barked and bayed and moaned non-stop the moment they left home in the morning to the moment they came back after work. I was trying to recover from surgery and it was soooo annoying!!

If you are at your wit's end, try this:

There is an electronic dog trainer thing you can buy at the pet store. We used to use it on our dog when she barked incessantly at nothing, but we also noticed that the dogs surrounding our house also shut up too (kind of a "WTF was that" reaction!!). It has 2 buttons: positive and negative and looks like a thin TV remote. It emits a high-pitched "negative" sound that only dogs can hear and a soothing "positive" sound when they do shut up.

If you can't get the neighbors on board, maybe try this!!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
This sucks, at least it's not a hound dog, at least 3 of my neighbors have hound dogs and this one barked and bayed and moaned non-stop the moment they left home in the morning to the moment they came back after work. I was trying to recover from surgery and it was soooo annoying!!
Our neighbor (renter) had a blue-tick coon hound. Thing bayed for hours and hours. Took a week to organize the neighbors, and a week later, no more dog barking. It helps when you know all your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego