Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 19,405 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both from the East Coast (I'm from boston, he's from NYC). We moved to the Bay Area 2 yrs ago for work, and love it here, but cannot afford a house (or even a condo)! My husband's company is opening an office in San Diego and they asked him if he'd be willing to move there. While we love the Bay Area, we're really thinking about moving to the SD area since it seems as if we could actually afford a house there (we can afford a house that's $550-$650). We've been talking to ppl about places to live and most ppl have been telling us to look at Carmel Valley, Rancho Penaquitos and Rancho Bernardo area, as they have the best schools (we have a 1 yr old). We live in a more urban area now, but are definitely looking for a suburban feel. My only concern with these areas are it seems like all the houses look exactly the same, the houses are all on top of each other, and they have absolutely no backyards. Is this just something I'm going to have to accept? My husband is also concerned that if we buy a house in a new development, then in 10+ yrs, it's going to be hard to sell, since there will always be even newer developments popping up all around the area. We're just lost and confused and really want to find a place where we can get settled and make a home. Any thoughts, suggestions etc are greatly appreciated! And, yes, we know about the traffic- we live in the Bay Area and came from Boston!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmack View Post
My husband and I are both from the East Coast (I'm from boston, he's from NYC). We moved to the Bay Area 2 yrs ago for work, and love it here, but cannot afford a house (or even a condo)! My husband's company is opening an office in San Diego and they asked him if he'd be willing to move there. While we love the Bay Area, we're really thinking about moving to the SD area since it seems as if we could actually afford a house there (we can afford a house that's $550-$650). We've been talking to ppl about places to live and most ppl have been telling us to look at Carmel Valley, Rancho Penaquitos and Rancho Bernardo area, as they have the best schools (we have a 1 yr old). We live in a more urban area now, but are definitely looking for a suburban feel. My only concern with these areas are it seems like all the houses look exactly the same, the houses are all on top of each other, and they have absolutely no backyards. Is this just something I'm going to have to accept? My husband is also concerned that if we buy a house in a new development, then in 10+ yrs, it's going to be hard to sell, since there will always be even newer developments popping up all around the area. We're just lost and confused and really want to find a place where we can get settled and make a home. Any thoughts, suggestions etc are greatly appreciated! And, yes, we know about the traffic- we live in the Bay Area and came from Boston!!
I am an east coaster too and I hate tract homes. But you have to realize they are a way of life in Southern CA and a lot of people just don't know any different.

I agree with your husband overall, but SD does not have a wealth of new land left for major building. Still, there is plenty of room up the 15, 56, and 78 corridors and they are overbuilt already.

Look in the older areas of Rancho Bernardo. There are some mid-60's era homes up there which are nice and not so canned looking. Best schools and older homes. Lots are still a little bit smaller than my taste. Other options would be La Mesa, San Carlos, Allied Gardens, Del Cerro, which are all post-war suburbs built out pre-tract homes. If you want to avoid tract homes and big lots, you have to look in the older neighborhoods.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
I am from the South, and based on what I have seen, the houses here look pitiful by comparison. Southern architecture is so much nicer. But maybe I just haven't seen the nice neighborhoods yet. But generally all I've seen are a bunch of crappy looking, generic houses, clumped close together, that people want to sell for like $500,000. So that's what I would expect here. Admittedly I have not really been to the far northern and northeastern parts of the county/city.....

Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,700 times
I wouldn't listen to justsomeguy as he is a kid who doesn't know SD at ALL. You might enjoy looking @ neighborhoods closer to the city like Tierrasanta, Kensington, Point Loma, even where I live, Normal Heights. These areas have nice houses, not "cookie-cutter". You will be in a more urban environment, but close to coffee shops, boutiques, restuarants. Suburbs are like 'burbs anywhere, a bit more sterile.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
What do you east coasters (or anyone) consider a good lot size?

I grew up in a condo in San Diego and lived in apartments after that, so I don't have any perspective on California lot sizes. My home in Texas is on an almost 11,000 sq ft lot. Compared to the nothing at all that I'm used to, it seems a very nice size.

For the OP, I agree that you want to go to something older to avoid that cookie cutter feel. There are a lot of charming neighborhoods in San Diego.
I like the neighborhoods already mentioned. You could also look at South University City. (North UC is all condos/townhomes, South UC is much more appealing.)

Old 08-15-2007, 12:34 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,040 times
I just want to say that we just moved from Carmel Mountain Ranch, and we really loved it there. Sure the houses are tract homes, but they're nice, and the school district is good (Poway schools). There were some houses up the street from up that had huge (for CA) backyards. Also, in Poway you have some houses with more land around them.

V. =)

Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM

21 posts, read 69,646 times
Default Middle and High Schools

Has anyone had any children attend Carmel Valley Middle School or Torrey Pines High? How are they? We are seriously thinking of relocating down there and are looking for a nice place to continue raising our son. Right now, we're on the Central Coast. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 63,000 times
You did not mention in what part of San Diego your husband's co. would be opening an office. That would be a big consideration, in terms of commute distance, as to the residential areas you might consider. One suggestion is to initially find a place which is reasonably near his work, safe, and offers an environment that appeals to you, giving you time to get a feel for the area and where you would really like to be by the time your son enters school. Yes, small lot sizes are the norm here (generally speaking), you may feel like your neighbors live on top of you, and a lot of the architecture is "uninspired" in the tract developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego