Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,836 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a female in her mid-twenties moving to San Diego for the first time. I am looking for safe communities to live in. I will be working in the Chula Vista area. I'm looking for a studio apartment around $1000. The areas that I have considered so far are Pacific Beach and Mission Valley. I have driven by North Park and University Heights and it didn't really appeal to me. Safety seemed to vary by block.

My main priority when looking for a place is safety over nightlife/restaurants etc. My only concern with PB is the traffic and commute to Chula Vista (I will be working off the 805). I checked out UTC but there aren't many studios available.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what areas are safe and have studios available?

Thanks!
I appreciate the comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 03:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Maybe the cities of La Mesa and CV?Lots of nice little areas in those two cities;both developments and more established areas.Where exactly off the 805 in CV?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM

47 posts, read 154,212 times
Chula Vista has some nice areas, not sure how the rental market is in them though...

PB is OK, lived there for years, not my first choice for "safety" over University Heights or North Park but it's somewhat quieter away from Grand and Garnet.

You should be able to swing a studio in PB or parts of Mission Hills for $1,000/mo. Little Italy, U. Heights, Hillcrest, Banker's Hill, North Park in that price range would be 2nd.

Check the ARJIS crime maps for areas you're interested in and drive through them first if possible. Factor in some unreported crime in rough/busy/tourist areas.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:03 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
I would second La Mesa; I would not recommend Mission Valley.
I agree that univ heights and normal heights vary by block. [lived there for 3 years], but i would still choose them over mission valley or PB [also lived in clairemont next to PB for 3 years]...
Otherwise, somewhere in CV would be reasonable-perhaps by southwestern college area?
Good luck to you.
I had many neighbors in normal heights who were single females, btw.
I think the charming 50's style small complexes with gated access are best. They are small enough to know your neighbors.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
Banker's Hill and the Cortez Hill section north of Downtown should be considered. They are safe and there is easy 5 south access to Chula Vista. Some of Bankers Hill can be loud when planes pass over. I know both areas have Studios in your price range. They tend to be smaller complexes and post on craigslist, or simply put a sign in the window.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 28,803 times
I would strongly recommend City Heights. Cheap living and is welcoming of newcomers from as far China, Sudan and Saudi Arabia.

Cheers

Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassology88 View Post
I would strongly recommend City Heights. Cheap living and is welcoming of newcomers from as far China, Sudan and Saudi Arabia. Cheers
What in the world does City Heights have that would fit the OP's situation? She's not in need of cheap living, but wants safety. This is the second post where I have seen you recommend City Heights for folks that wanted the opposite of what City Heights has to offer. Frankly, I don't understand your point of vue ...

Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,836 times
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll definitely give University Heights another look and look for the old style 1950s studios. I don't really care for amenities too much. I'll look at Mission Hills too. CV doesn't have much of a rental market east of the 805. I'll be working at Sharp Hospital in CV.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2011, 01:04 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdinna View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll definitely give University Heights another look and look for the old style 1950s studios. I don't really care for amenities too much. I'll look at Mission Hills too. CV doesn't have much of a rental market east of the 805. I'll be working at Sharp Hospital in CV.

Thanks
You are very welcome.And yeah.East of the 805 has a lot of housing developments which means a handful of apartments.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:47 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
$1000 per month for your own apartment will be hard to find. At that price range you may want to consider renting a room off of Craigslist. You can get a room for rent for $500 or more and you likely can even find a group of mid-20's females to share it with. One thing is certain though and that is it is very hard to find your own place in San Diego for just $1000 per month not even counting utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego