U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:16 PM

4,631 posts, read 8,583,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The more I reads thread like this the more I can't help think of this quote:

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

90% of people are people wherever you go imo, yes there may be cultural differences but it's pretty close minded to think somehow the majority of people in SD are not seeking out the same human relationships everyone elsewhere is.
I totally agree with you sav858, as I mentioned in my earlier post, people are the same pretty much everywhere, its just 'cracking the nut' so to speak that may be a little different.

Humor is definitely an example of cultural differences. Have you ever watched a Japanese game show (cant remember the name). I have no idea what they are saying, but they sure seem to be having a grand ole time.
I think its even funnier how the French find old Jerry Lewis movies funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 PM

924 posts, read 904,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I disagree, its kind of like judging a book by its cover in a way but that does explain some of your posts.
I think its a knee jerk logical fallacy thats seen a lot in city-data forum posts, that one must live and work somewhere for years in order to have an opinion on it. In many cases the opposite is true, for example, someone who's spent over half a million bucks in living expenses and decades of her life in one place might defend it irrationally as "their" city, whereas an outsider can make a more even assessment. Kind of like the Iraq war....

I lived in Columbus, Ohio for 15 years, and when people from neighboring Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, and Chicago came to town for events or business and complained about the towns shortcomings, they were usually spot on. I didn't think they needed to move there and get jobs in order know pretty much what the place is all about.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,386,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I think its a knee jerk logical fallacy thats seen a lot in city-data forum posts, that one must live and work somewhere for years in order to have an opinion on it.
Well I wasn't talking about about all opinions or anything, I just think this thread in particular where people are talking about forming deep friendships with the people they live around, I just don't think that's something you're gonna get from visiting. Of course people can form opinions with just visiting a place that can be accurate, but they're generally more superficial things that are easier to assess imo. And I agree outsiders that move here can provide a different perspective than a long time resident/native, just not someone who visits.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:32 PM

4,883 posts, read 7,119,450 times
If there really are so many people having a hard time meeting new friends we could have a CDF San Diego meet up or something. A BBQ at Mission Bay or meeting up at a restaurant might be a great way to meet new folks plus it would be nice to put a face on some of the regular posters here. Just a thought.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 PM

5,469 posts, read 5,776,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I think its a knee jerk logical fallacy thats seen a lot in city-data forum posts, that one must live and work somewhere for years in order to have an opinion on it. In many cases the opposite is true, for example, someone who's spent over half a million bucks in living expenses and decades of her life in one place might defend it irrationally as "their" city, whereas an outsider can make a more even assessment. Kind of like the Iraq war....
Maybe you don't need to live and work somewhere for years to have an intelligible opinion...but I also don't think a short work or vacation visit is sufficient for any type of credible blanket statement regarding any particular area.

As a transplant from the Midwest myself, I've actually found that a lot of the people more oriented towards social status and lifestyle out here are actually other transplants, especially from the Midwest and Northeast. Meanwhile, some of the most down-to-earth, relationship-oriented people I've met out here have been natives of CA and other areas on the W. Coast. Now, the opposite has been true for others and I don't know if there is a trend any which way. I will also say that more of my closer friends are from NorCal and not SoCal...but I still think that that you can find all different types of people in every area of the US.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 AM

77 posts, read 103,533 times
Oerdin I was thinking the same thing last night. No matter what town you move to, there are always other people who would love to meet new people and just have a drink, a BBQ, whatever, and your idea is perfect. PM me if anyone else is interested and I will help you arrange it, even though I've only been here since December and don't know too many hot spots to hang out at yet!! Ha ha!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 880 times
Default Lived All Over

O.K. Everyone, I am a New Jersey original and have lived in, New York City, Florida, Hawaii, and a few others as well as traveled all over the world, the list goes on and on and I have loved every minute of it. I loved the people the scenery, the food, the culture all of it. It is so much fun when you can go to places like that and sit at bar, or restaurant, beach park or wherever and just carry on a really nice conversation and have some really heart felt laughs and memories to take with you. Life can really be good to you if you allow it to be and I have always lived that way.

Now let me get to the negative. I now live in New England, CT to be exact, I have never been more unhappy in my entire life. If you are considering moving here and you are out going and like to be friendly like myself run like hell. The people here are the rudest most stand offish, coldest people I have ever met in my 47 years of life. It feels like I am in the twilight zone and I am in a constant state of drowning. Trust nobody and watch your back. Now I know this goes on all over here and there but never have I experienced anything like this before. I watch as an outsider how these people treat there so called best friends and oh dear i'd rather be alone than have friends like that. Neighbors, what neighbors nobody even introduces themselves its wierd!!!!! I'm telling you unless you are incredibly standoffish and shy stay out of this state because you will not make any friends here. Oh yes one other thing, they all act like they have all this money but a good percent don't have squat it's all a show. Be real and true to yourself and people will like you for who you are not for what you have.

Anyway, can't wait to get out of here the sooner the better!!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 AM

4,914 posts, read 6,109,427 times
wonderful first post and stereotyping, happiness2012

Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM

569 posts, read 1,188,622 times
I will chime in here. My family lives in SD but we are all originally from Charlotte. I still live in Charlotte but visit family in SD a couple of times a year. From what I have experienced I have never really met any rude people in SD. Everyone will speak to you and say "hello". I would agree though that people in SD are more focused on lifestyle than making connections with strangers. Usually whenever I am hiking or paddling there I get a friendly head nodd from a passing person and maybe a smile, but that's about it. In the south it would be a head nodd, followed by a smile, followed by a "how are you doin today?"

In the south it is very different because everyone makes small talk and wants to chat, especially once you get outside the city limits. If I were to move to SD I don't think I would have trouble making friends because I share a similar outdoor/active lifestyle to people in SD. If I did not however it might be a little harder to meet people and form relationships. The culture is just different for different parts of the country and people just have to accept that this is the way it is.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,477,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
In the south it would be a head nodd, followed by a smile, followed by a "how are you doin today?"
Yeah, but would you REALLY want to know how some stranger's day is going? I think probably not, and if they actually did tell you more than "not too bad" or "fine" you'd be thinking why the hell did I ask him that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or