U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 AM

13 posts, read 23,994 times

Advertisements

You will love CA!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM

23,609 posts, read 29,609,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartWithASmile View Post
****UPDATE***** UPDATE****UPDATE****

Hi everyone, I wanted to post on here and let everyone know what happened to me.. LOL I did move to San Diego, and got a great response on finding a job. I went to several interviews, 2 in Los Angeles also and ended up finally getting a nice job at UCSD... Woo hoo, and then I just this past weekend moved into an adorable little ecelectic apartment not more than 10 minutes or 4 miles from my job. I absolutely love it here .. The weather is spectacular and there is so much to see and do.. Love the beaches... And the people!! OMG, so different than D.C. and KC.. Or Florida.. Friendly, laid back. I'm so glad I moved and things are going my way. totally.. I now regret not doing this sooner. I did really well ... I made it here... Anyway, not sure if you guys will read this, all the people who responded to me and were giving me feedback.. But there are jobs here, it just takes time.. I arrived in San Diego July 6th and started working Sept 6th... 2 months it took me but I started getting interviews after about 3 weeks. Anyway, I am totally happy and like SD the best so far of all the places I have lived.. Woot woot!!
OUTSTANDING! Congratulations. Just shows ta go ya that where there's a will there's a way and perserverance pays. A perfect example of follow your heart and your dreams, and don't let ANYBODY discourage you.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 AM

4,483 posts, read 7,700,971 times
Great! Congratulations. That's wonderful you found a job you like so quick. That's excellent. The weather is fabulous here so I'm sure you will love it. Again, congratulations.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,705,022 times
Quote:
****UPDATE***** UPDATE****UPDATE****

Hi everyone, I wanted to post on here and let everyone know what happened to me.. LOL I did move to San Diego, and got a great response on finding a job. I went to several interviews, 2 in Los Angeles also and ended up finally getting a nice job at UCSD... Woo hoo, and then I just this past weekend moved into an adorable little ecelectic apartment not more than 10 minutes or 4 miles from my job. I absolutely love it here .. The weather is spectacular and there is so much to see and do.. Love the beaches... And the people!! OMG, so different than D.C. and KC.. Or Florida.. Friendly, laid back. I'm so glad I moved and things are going my way. totally.. I now regret not doing this sooner. I did really well ... I made it here... Anyway, not sure if you guys will read this, all the people who responded to me and were giving me feedback.. But there are jobs here, it just takes time.. I arrived in San Diego July 6th and started working Sept 6th... 2 months it took me but I started getting interviews after about 3 weeks. Anyway, I am totally happy and like SD the best so far of all the places I have lived.. Woot woot!!
I was in your boat not long ago. I moved out from the Northern Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati. California was my top choice, plain and simple. Over the course of a year, I applied to over 1000 jobs throughout the U.S.; I hated my job there and wanted to keep options open to enter into my preferred career field, but probably 400-500 applications were to California alone.

At the end of May, I had phone interviews--one for a job in Irvine, one in Thousand Oaks and one in Redwood City (NorCal). Irvine and TO, thankfully, didn't work out and result in further interviewing; RWC involved three phone interviews and I ultimately accepted their job offer. How glad I am to be here!

My plan is to get a sort of full CA experience--the job is one year in RWC, then I'd like to start working south along the coast. My top choice for grad school is UCLA. Honestly, SoCal seems friendlier than NorCal; NorCal is quintessential California greatness in so many ways, but some people really need to lighten up their personalities.

By the way, mid-40s, single, no kids? I'm 25/male but prefer the mid 30s to mid 40s females! (Sorry, had to get that out.)

Last edited by EclecticEars; 09-21-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 PM

1,471 posts, read 2,759,542 times
woo hoo congrats! for all the gloom and doom its nice to hear a good story, and it is especially amazing b/c UCSD can move slow with many positions. Now of course people will read this and instead of listening to the 100 people that struggled, they will believe what happened to you will happen to them...of course some will succeed in getting a job pretty quickly, but your situation is not the norm.

And I agree once you have a job, all the hassle and stress is worth it!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I was in your boat not long ago. I moved out from the Northern Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati. California was my top choice, plain and simple. Over the course of a year, I applied to over 1000 jobs throughout the U.S.; I hated my job there and wanted to keep options open to enter into my preferred career field, but probably 400-500 applications were to California alone.

At the end of May, I had phone interviews--one for a job in Irvine, one in Thousand Oaks and one in Redwood City (NorCal). Irvine and TO, thankfully, didn't work out and result in further interviewing; RWC involved three phone interviews and I ultimately accepted their job offer. How glad I am to be here!

My plan is to get a sort of full CA experience--the job is one year in RWC, then I'd like to start working south along the coast. My top choice for grad school is UCLA. Honestly, SoCal seems friendlier than NorCal; NorCal is quintessential California greatness in so many ways, but some people really need to lighten up their personalities.

By the way, mid-40s, single, no kids? I'm 25/male but prefer the mid 30s to mid 40s females! (Sorry, had to get that out.)
Hey, it's good to hear another success story. You moved here and I know you will like it. So Cal is nice and the people are more laid back then in any other area I have been in. It just takes time and I know others didn't have the luck. I keep getting told I got lucky... Glad you like it here...

Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 AM

Thanks everyone, didn't see these reply's until today...

Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM

1,181 posts, read 1,851,026 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone, didn't see these reply's until today...
Congrats! Sounds like you have some specialized experience that is more than just typical clerical/admin. Degree or no degree, developing specialized skills never hurts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or