U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 PM

104 posts, read 227,463 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Just thought I'd give an update here as it's been a while since I've written on here. I also hope my experience will help another thinking of moving out here

I was just like many of you thinking of moving here a year and a half ago and I had the same reservations, fears, and worries as many of you do. I received a lot of support from this site but also a lot of negative feedback from posters who seemed intent on hurting my drive to pursue my dream of moving here. I'm here to say, I'm glad that in the end I listened to myself and followed my dream because things couldn't have worked out better! Now, I did have a well-thought out plan so it wasn't a completely foolish move, and I'll elaborate on that now...

I quit my job in March of 2010 and moved here without one lined up. However, the VP at my old company put me in touch with some biotech companies and temp agencies out here so while I didn't have any interviews lined up, I had people to contact for jobs in my field. Biotech is my field and even though it was and still technically is a down job market, San Diego is known as a hub for biotech companies (Sorrento Valley) so my chances seemed pretty good that I'd find something.

I had a good amount of savings before I came out here and I found an apartment in 2 days. I had 3 roommates and though it wasn't a perfect situation (they smoked a lot of weed on the balcony; not judging, just not my thing) it worked for me temporarily. The guy who rented to me lived there and he didn't mind that I didnt have a job at the time.

I found a job working for the Census in about 2 weeks going door-to-door as an enumerator. I did not like it very much but in the meantime I continued to apply for jobs in my field...and within 2 more weeks I got an interview and a job offer in my field! I actually found this job on Craigslist working for a smaller, start-up biotech company. I am still working for them and even though I wish I made more money, I have no problem paying bills and I enjoy a great quality of life with what they pay me.

I found it incredibly easy to make friends. I've met plenty of natives (despite what people say) and I hang out with a few coworkers regularly. I go on hikes every week and try to get out and explore the nightlife at least once a week. There is so much to do here from the beaches to the mountains to the nightlife that i really think I found my paradise.

I know you can find happiness anywhere you go because it is within you to make yourself happy. I have always been a very upbeat/positive person but this city really helps to bring out the best in me. I have more/better friends than I've ever had in my life, and even though it's already been over 1 year since I took the plunge, I still love it here and have no plans to leave.

Did I just get lucky? Maybe. But keep a positive attitude and plan to succeed and you can really do it if it's what you want.

Dan
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 PM

115 posts, read 199,004 times
This is very refreshing post. I am thinking of moving to San Diego, and I likely wouldn't have a job lined up before I moved. I was wondering if you could answer some questions?

Where did you move from?

Did you visit before you moved?

Can you elaborate on the nightlife and what type of scene it is?

How old are you?

What are the women like in San Diego?

I think San Diego would be awesome, but I am feeling negativity from my family, because they say it is too close to Mexico and there could be violence.

I have also heard the weather is phenomenal.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM

1,471 posts, read 2,813,381 times
Lucky? Ok, maybe, but it also seems like you have a lot of flexibility and an open, positive mind which is important for any move. But a piece of luck is nice. Regardless the combination served you well.

Plus-being in biotech does not hurt at all, it appears to be a hot field here.

Last edited by Clevelandgal; 05-22-2011 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 PM

23 posts, read 43,008 times
Thanks Dan! Congratulations, I am so happy for you and what you say about keeping a positive attitude is so true. Often times I think probably 100% of the time we bring about the negative around us, whether we realize it or not.
You're post is an answer for me, the one I have been looking for : )

Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 PM

4,631 posts, read 8,584,793 times
Your case is good and glad things have worked out for you so far. Just to point out a couple of things which you mentioned that other posters might learn from.
1. Had good savings prior to your arrival and the need to 'wing it' just to make first months rent
2. Wish you were making more money. Was this a pay cut from your last job?
3. Most important you were open minded, fresh and willing to to be flexible

I hope this is inspirational for those of you looking to make a move.

On a side note, I think when advice is given on a forum, for as sound/unsoiund as it may be, someone replying will never know anything beyond what is posted about the OP. Point is, only the poster truly knows what is right or wrong for their situation. With that being said, posts from an online public forum should always be taken accordingly. To not do so and dictate a life choice is simply naive.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:21 PM

4,484 posts, read 7,875,677 times
Hey Dan,

Congrats! That's always great to hear positive stories. And I totally agree with Shmoov. I think what separates your situation is you say you had a lot of savings. I think that is the biggest difference and many people posting about moving...aren't in that situation with them often times writing they have very little savings. Heck, some with kids, etc.

I've been in your shoes before moving to a new city. Heck, I've moved to a new country before. I had everyone and their brother telling me it was a big mistake and I'd regret it but like you I didn't and made it a huge success.

But like you, I had lots of savings and a positive attitude and flexibility. I don't necessarily think moving to San Diego is always a bad plan with no job lined up. But I will stand by my opinion it's NOT a good idea to move out here with no job lined up and little/no savings. Plus if you have kids and in that situation it's a horrible idea.

Also, I don't believe it was luck. Luck probably doesn't hurt but I've learned people make their own "luck" in life and hard work and dedication creates "luck" so I'm sure you're a really hard worker.

Congrats.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 PM

69 posts, read 195,425 times
I just got back into town myself last week....
Where are your favorite hiking trails? (i love to hike if you couldn't tell by my name). Just looking for a few more that are quick access and good quality.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 PM

104 posts, read 227,463 times
Hey guys thanks! I hope my post helped some of you thinking of moving here!

Lemme answer some questions...

Peachtreecorners Mike:
I moved from southeastern PA in the suburbs outside philly. I first came out when I was 15 and fell in love with it and then again in July 2009 for a few days to check out the city again; that sealed the deal. The nightlife differs on the type of bar/club you go to. I'm gay so I go to mostly clubs/bars in hillcrest but I have been to some cool places in gaslamp too. You can definitely find a cool hangout that fits you if you look around. I am 27 now and was 26 when I moved. The women seem very nice to me, there are superficial girls but also nice down-to-earth girls too; I'm sure you'll meet nice women out here. I've met plenty of a-holes too but the friendly people more than make up for them. I wouldn't worry about crime at all honestly. There are dangerous places but you'll never have any need to go there. I've never felt unsafe anywhere I've been. The weather is great...we do have June gloom/May grey but summer is awesome and tons of fun!

Scmoov groovsd:
I am making exactly what I was making back east. I was initially hoping for more to make up for the higher cost of living but it's worked out fine.

Trails:
I really like mission trails regional park. I've also been to Lake Cuyamaca and the three sisters waterfalls. Lake Poway is beautiful as is Torrey Pines. My buddy and I have been using Jerry Schad's "Afoot and Afield in San Diego County" as our guide to all of the hiking available out here. It's a great guide! Where do you like to go hiking?

Last edited by treevernal; 05-22-2011 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 PM

4,631 posts, read 8,584,793 times
Afoot and Afield is the bible here in SD. Has everything you could ever want for hiking trails. 3 sisters is an area that most avid hikers go as its not for the meek.

Good stuff!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 AM

69 posts, read 195,425 times
Those sound great..only been to Torrey Pines myself, but just spent a lot of time hiking in N. Cal. Plan on hiking a lot more. Good to hear your having a great time. SD is really great. In fact SD reminds me of how the Bay Area was about 10-15 years ago, (the pace of life). That's a big reason I am here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego