U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 PM

619 posts, read 842,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
You may be able to get the land in SD county for that price, your husband would have to build the house, from the ground up.

That's simply not true:

SDLookup.com | 8653*Gardena*Rd - MLS# 110001207

SDLookup.com | 11928*Lakeside*Ave - MLS# 100066525

SDLookup.com | 11650*Rocoso*Rd - MLS# 110015944

That's just a quick browse of Lakeside recently solds. Jamul has quite a few that meet the OP's criteria too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,120,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
That's simply not true:

SDLookup.com | 8653*Gardena*Rd - MLS# 110001207

SDLookup.com | 11928*Lakeside*Ave - MLS# 100066525

SDLookup.com | 11650*Rocoso*Rd - MLS# 110015944

That's just a quick browse of Lakeside recently solds. Jamul has quite a few that meet the OP's criteria too.

I stand corrected

Old 05-30-2011, 12:19 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,120,340 times
For an acre you're going to have to move out into the country side and I suspect it will cost more then $300k. Try Rancho San Diego, Ramona, maybe Alpine or San Diego Country Estates. Heck, even Escondido might work.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:27 AM

132 posts, read 551,482 times
Escondido & Vista get a bad reputation....but the hills are beautiful, north of town. Ya, downtown Escondido ain't the greatest but the hills are great. Especially the hills north of Vista.....love it!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:41 AM

1,504 posts, read 5,331,990 times
Quote:
Oh by the way, we were thinking of Temecula. Can you or anyone tell me about it. I remeber drving thru it on my way back and forth to Mexico.
As far as I know, Temecula is a good place to live, the biggest problem is that local jobs are limited and many residents used to commute to work in northern San Diego County or even Orange County. (That was before the big recession, back when there were jobs in either place. These days, I'm not sure what the situation is, except that the unemployment rate in Riverside County is 13.5%.) If you're looking for some land, you'd want to look west of the freeway 15 in the area called De Luz, because east of the freeway it's mostly tract houses with 5000-8000 sf of land.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:35 AM

124 posts, read 274,414 times
I love living in Temecula and so do all of the people I've met. Most people that have just moved here moved from San Diego County. Sure, the commute's really far but it's the only place we can get nice houses at affordable prices, safe community, great schools and nice family friendly area. For the price we paid for our house, we can only get a teeny tiny older condo in a decent place or a teeny tiny house in a sketchy area in San Diego.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 AM

224 posts, read 399,407 times
I would look at San Marcos. It is between Vista and Escondido in North County. Not that far from the beach. About a 20 minute straight drive.

Growing area as well.

My mother lives down there.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM

132 posts, read 551,482 times
Oceanside?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,400 posts, read 50,625,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithhope7 View Post
Thanks bisjoe! I see that you are in western washington. I sadly have never been north of San Francisco and always wanted to check out Oregon and Washington. How do you like Washington? What can you share about the areas you know? WEather? work? hospitals? Housing prices.

Thanks!
I would love to at least be in the west and somewhere green would be great.
Actually, some of the best areas in CA are north of SF. Napa, Sonoma, Eureka and Mendocino for example. The Oregon coast is mostly undeveloped and spectacular. If you move out then take a road trip. The nice thing about where I am now (23 miles east of Seattle) is working down on the waterfront, within a short commute. the snow capped olympic Mountains in the morning and Cascades on the way home.
Except in winter when it's dark for both commutes!

While it's about half freeway, I see often bald eagles, deer and even coyotes on the way.

We have many wilderness hiking trails within a few miles, mountains for skiing 45 miles away, rivers and lakes for fishing and boating all around.

Our housing prices are actually close to the same as CA now as they have started to come back up, and big local companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks and Costco are all hiring.

As for weather, if you like green all year you need rain. We've actually had none in 4 days but usually October 1st to July 5th can be wet or at least cloudy. The 40" of rain is actually not that much, it's just spread out with a lot of 2-3 days of light mist rather than an hour of downpour.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 PM

23 posts, read 43,008 times
Thank you everyone! You have certainly giving me lots of info to play with. I also really like that sdlookup link.
Temecula, Escondido and Vista seem to come up alot here. I will have to really investigate those and ask my family out there about it.
We have to figure out what our biggest priority is going to be. I personally don't really think having alot of land is of great importance right now. We are so busy with 3 little ones and just life that growing our own food though sounds fantastic, I just don't put that on the top of my list as much as being closer to a big city. I dont' want to be wayyyyyy out there KWIM.
I would love to be within 30 miles of San Diego, ( I know that could easily be an hour or more of a drive however with the traffic.)
Thanks Bisjoe, I really appreciate the insight into your area. I hope that we can take a trip North. I know that it is beautiful, simply driving up the coast as you get further north it gets more striking by the minute.
I am sure I will think of more questions, till then Thanks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego