U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:21 PM

4,429 posts, read 4,111,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Did you miss the 3 recent sales I posted in the Lakeside area? Lakeside is only about 10 miles from Grossmont Hospital, and less than 30 miles from downtown San Diego.
If you are addressing me, then no I didnt see them until now. I just read the first post and and replied based on lots size alone.

The 3 you listed were nice and I am surprised they didnt sell for more.

IMHO, that whole 67 corridor is going to look a heck of a lot different in about 10 years now that the 52 extension has been completed. Even now driving it this past weekend it was busier than it used be before the 52 extension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 PM

124 posts, read 155,984 times
Temecula was only mentioned after the OP asked about it.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:51 AM

23 posts, read 23,894 times
Hi! Thanks Everyone for the continued responses. I was dying to check them out but internet was not working yesterday! Felt like I was lost without it, how sad and pathetic I have become LOL! Anyways, I have alot of new areas to looking into thanks to you all.
I will have my parents or brother who is out in Murrieta look into them in person. One area that sticks out is Lakeside and another is Temecula and also Lemon Grove. In searching thru realty sites, these areas stick out. However like it has been said, one thing to see online, another in person.
Also to the person who sent link to their home in Lemon Grove, it's funny because that is one of the homes I was interested in. I didn't check the link yet,I will after writing this, however I remember Hibiscus in Lemon Grove. Good chance it is yours. What else could you tell me about Lemon Grove, is it in the hills? Good and bad streets or mostly nice? Any info would be great, besides what you already gave me : )
Still not 100% about needing the land. I am not into the idea as much as my husband, would rather be closer to bigger city.
OK baby is crying, gotta go!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithhope7 View Post
What else could you tell me about Lemon Grove, is it in the hills? Good and bad streets or mostly nice? Any info would be great, besides what you already gave me : )
Still not 100% about needing the land. I am not into the idea as much as my husband, would rather be closer to bigger city.
Faithhope,

Sounds like you are really forging ahead here with a move to SD

Hopefully I can try to give you a general idea about life here from a fairly new local.

The feel of residential LG is more rural than city-suburb, but its only 10 minutes to the Downtown core. Driving from my door to parking my car in Balboa Park (off of Quince St on the 163) is less than 10 mins and about 15 minutes to get into a drop off/pick up terminal at the airport.

Downtown
The commercial districts are a disaster and like some other neighborhoods in SD, dont reflect the residential areas at all (this is something I have been spending a lot of time on since moving here). Lots of check cashing joints around as well as just random businesses like beauty supply and even a medical supply store?! On the plus, there is an Albertsons, Henrys and a couple of decent restaurants (nothing fancy).
The trolley is a blessing and a curse as there are two stops in LG. The main stop at Broadway brings in derelicts from just about anywhere in County, but they mostly stay isolated in the downtown area. The homeless problem is everywhere in SD and Lemon Grove is no exception. I have never come across any hostile ones, but they are there and if you are not used to them just spacing out, it will be weird.
The actual framework of the downtown is a 1950s style downtown and has a lot of potential (key word being potential). No its not fancy like other parts of town with specialty shops or trendy boutiques. Like I said, its more of a rural laid back setting where blue collar workers can kick back with a Pabst and shoot the breeze.
Safety- IMHO its safe and so is most of SD. Yes there are petty crimes that happen like anywhere else. But you can check that on your own. There is worse in SD and better.

Housing and Property
As far as Lemon Grove property and housing goes, in some parts, you can get lot sizes as big as .5 acre (there are even some with a full acre) with the smallest lots around 6k sq feet. So if you are looking at properties, Mt Vernon, Central and San Miguel are 3 of the oldest streets which tend to have these larger property sizes.
There are lots of streets that are in cul de sacs which gives a lot of privacy and can be nestled in a hilly area. Hibiscus for example goes up off of Central. Keep in mind that you want good drainage in LG when the rains come so that house on Hibiscus is again a good example.
Here is a house I just cruised by yesterday. The couple were retiring elsewhere and decided to just sell. Its on a quarter of an acre and the house needs some TLC but a good deal.
http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-11003142...Grove_CA_91945
Streets to stay away from
Like any other city there has to be a certain % of section 8 homes available. In LG, its all along Broadway. So I would say try to stay south of Central Ave. For the residential burglaries that have happened in the past, they are along that Broadway corridor. Its almost rare to see it outside of that.

Layout
The topography is not flat at all as we are ~500 feet above sea level. It can be hilly around the edges of the city limits near the 125 going all the way to Canton. More like rolling hills than anything else.

Commuting
Great freeway access mostly all starting with the 94 or the 125.

Neighbors
Its a well established neighborhood. My neighbors are all awesome. They all stopped by when we moved in and have been great to know. MANY of the neighbors around my street are senior citizens and all have really nicely manicured properties. Some of the families here also have kids in the middle school and the kids are decent.
The newer neighbors are either new families, military or older gay couples. The homeowners here are mostly all white. Any non white folks are renters for the most part and the kids go to the schools here. You will see the disparity especially when it comes to council meetings etc. Renters are getting priced out slowly. You will also see the demographics SIGNIFICANTLY differnet between the 2010 census and the API school rankings.

Things to keep in mind
There will be a significant shift here over the next decade in terms of tax revenue. Why? Prop 13. A very LARGE percentage of owners here have been paying dirt taxes on homes they paid off years ago. So they were paying maybe 1k/ yr for taxes on a house they paid 20-30k for many moons ago. I am not a mathematician, but if houses are selling between 250k and 300k vs before, that is a pretty sharp jump. For a long term investor, its a no brainer to buy here based on that alone.
Small town mentality. It still has its roots as a rural type of town. SO the older folks here dont like the change even though its coming. This is evident when I go to community and council meetings. Some fresh ideas are needed.

LG Historical Society. Not many towns have one, but we do. Its funded by the City and its a real gem to have.

The Council is more on the conservative side fiscally which is great during a time like this. During the boom they stockpiled all kinds of cash into the general fund. So when it comes to applying for loans or issuing bonds, we are not negative as opposed to how some other cities run.

If you want to learn more about day to day life here, I encourage you to read this website: Lemon Grove, CA Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals

I have a blog on there as well, but you can get a daily dose of "exciting" news in sleepy LG

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 06-01-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Wow, Thank You Shmoov_Groovzsd!!!!!!!What a great post! That is pretty much all I need to know. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give me so much information. I feel like I know the place, now I just wish I could see it in person!
Hoping that we can visit sometime this year. In the meantime I will continue to enjoy citydata and I will check out that website and read your blog.
Thanks Again!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 AM

7,063 posts, read 17,503,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
]Streets to stay away from[/b]
Like any other city there has to be a certain % of section 8 homes available. In LG, its all along Broadway. So I would say try to stay south of Central Ave. For the residential burglaries that have happened in the past, they are along that Broadway corridor. Its almost rare to see it outside of that.
I would also stay away from some of the streets around Jamacha road (some actually are technically in San Diego at that point) because that's when you start getting into the Skyline zone which is super trashy.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:25 PM

Thanks for letting me know where to stay away from. So I have been looking online and I am going to put a link to a place that is an example of what I "think" we would like. I don't think this one has much land but there is only 1 pic and I no lot size. However when I check out the map, I like the scenery. Kind of rural, but yet it doesn't seem way out there.
What do you all think of El Cajon?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 PM

oops duh, here is the link:
449 Silvery Ln El Cajon CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #110022594 - Realtor.com®
Oh I was hoping this would be a direct link, but it is not lighting up in blue, oh well.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithhope7 View Post
oops duh, here is the link:
449 Silvery Ln El Cajon CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #110022594 - Realtor.com®
Oh I was hoping this would be a direct link, but it is not lighting up in blue, oh well.
I see the house. It is a short sale and one of the reasons you arent getting any more photos (that is a typical sign its a short sale). Many times the single photo is taken from the outside because there may be tenants in there.

The lot size is .25 to half acre (In CA you dont need to disclose exact amounts in the MLS listing).

El Cajon is large. Some nicer parts and some not. Its really a tough place to blanket with one opinion. It can be rural like the house or it can be more tract or urban. There are also unincorporated parts of El Cajon and they tend to have expensive homes and decent schools (Granite Hills, Crest).

As another poster listed already, you also might want to expand your search into Lakeside as well, they are right next to each other.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 06-02-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the tips, now I know : ) I am finding alot in Lakeside and Lemon Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego