Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,460,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithhope7 View Post
Thanks for letting me know where to stay away from. So I have been looking online and I am going to put a link to a place that is an example of what I "think" we would like. I don't think this one has much land but there is only 1 pic and I no lot size. However when I check out the map, I like the scenery. Kind of rural, but yet it doesn't seem way out there.
What do you all think of El Cajon?

El Cajon has several areas. The link you posted is in one of the best areas, Fletcher Hills. But it is a fixer:

SDLookup.com | 449*Silvery*Ln - MLS# 110022594

The key to El Cajon is to stay out of the "El Cajon" areas. "El Cajon" is Spanish for "The Box". As long as you are not in the valley it's usually an OK area. Stay in the hills, be it Fletcher Hills or Granite Hills. The flat valley is usually not a good area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,357,165 times
I really like Fletcher Hills and it would be one of our top neighborhoods for our next house. It does not feel rural, it is more of a older outer-suburban feel and is highly developed. A good sized lot in that area is a quarter acre but there are some larger ones. It is somewhat of a large / custom home area (especially north of Fletcher Parkway) so anything you find in the 300k range will likely be a teardown or fixer... many of the smaller homes have been mcMansionized in recent years. The further north and/or east you go out on the valley rim is where the nicest homes are and it quickly gets into the 600k+ range. The further south you go from Fletcher Parkway towards Amaya you end up in typical east county shabby suburbia where you could definitely find a small, run-down 1960's tract home for 300k or (way) less.

The downside to Fletcher Hills IMO is that Fletcher Parkway is overdeveloped and shabby and there are some neglected homes in the immediate bocks around it. Also it is a straight shot up Fletcher Parkway from El Cajon so you get a lot of sketchballs driving up the hill through the area. However the interior of the neighborhood is private and off the beaten track for sure.

I would also look at Mt. Helix area which has a similar "country in the city feel", especially Casa De Oro which is really nice and private but prices are lower due to the proximity to some sketchy areas (Spring Valley). IMO Mt Helix is the sweet spot for privacy in central/near east SD county. Also would look at Bonita. 300k most likely means a wreck of a house, but if you have the stomach to fix it up...

Last edited by NYSD1995; 06-03-2011 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego