Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 PM

106 posts, read 254,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbostongirl View Post
haha..at least your posts are good for some laughs! Cheers!
So are yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You'll be in for a rude awakening.
Dear Mom, please don't rent out my room.

Read: I'll be backsoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
This has been one of the more entertaining relocation threads on the San Diego forum! Especially since the OP continues to respond, unlike so many threads where we never hear from the OP after the first or second post.

Sboston girl, have you thought of heading out to San Diego for an extended trip this Ssummer or next Winter? Maybe you can do some local job research and get the lay of the land? Perhaps you could even set up an interview or two before you arrive? Having some type of job offer in hand before making the move would be a good thing.

Also, are there other areas of CA that you would consider? San Diego is prime, but there are a lot of other nice areas in CA as well. Perhaps someplace closer to your sister so you could stay with them for awhile and easily see family.

For a variety of reasons, San Diego is tops on my list, but I could still be happy in a number of other CA locations as well. Try to be flexible and enjoy the process!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:01 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
Since I haven't gotten a job yet, maybe we can pitch a reality series, Housewives of San Diego County. I refuse to get plastic surgery though...

Old 06-17-2011, 05:14 PM

274 posts, read 370,616 times
These threads always start and end the same way- and I mean for every city, not just San Diego. Someone asks for feedback or advice because they want to move to a new city, and then a bunch of posters who live in that city tell them they're stupid for even thinking of it because:
- they know lots of people who are moving away because there are no jobs there.
- they are sick and tired of people from other cities moving there and griping about it because they don't like the food, traffic, whatever.
- they've been the the OP's home city and it's really not so bad, so why are they even moving?
- the OP is a jerk (because of some harmless remark that someone got offended by for some reason).
- they think the OP is irresponsible for moving because they don't already have a job and a million dollars in the bank.
- and last but not least, the old stand by: if you moved here 10 years ago, that would have been a good idea, but it's way worse here now.

Starts of civil and ends with nastiness. No wonder the OPs usually end up abandoning the thread.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:21 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
These threads always start and end the same way- and I mean for every city, not just San Diego. Someone asks for feedback or advice because they want to move to a new city, and then a bunch of posters who live in that city tell them they're stupid for even thinking of it because:
- they know lots of people who are moving away because there are no jobs there.
- they are sick and tired of people from other cities moving there and griping about it because they don't like the food, traffic, whatever.
- they've been the the OP's home city and it's really not so bad, so why are they even moving?
- the OP is a jerk (because of some harmless remark that someone got offended by for some reason).
- they think the OP is irresponsible for moving because they don't already have a job and a million dollars in the bank.
- and last but not least, the old stand by: if you moved here 10 years ago, that would have been a good idea, but it's way worse here now.

Starts of civil and ends with nastiness. No wonder the OPs usually end up abandoning the thread.
So basically you are saying that city-data members in other cities have common sense and are sharing it. Nice!
If anyone actually based their entire decision on uprooting and moving via city-data exclusively, that could be a problem. You might better off with flipping a coin.
General and free advice should always be filtered until experienced. You are only as good as what you write.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 PM

30 posts, read 73,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I am not saying this is the case of the OP, but sometimes I wonder if people are trolling with these "I just hate the weather in the (fill in crappy region) and want to have a more relaxed lifestyle. I have 6 weeks savings and am going to quit my $75,000 year job and think I get a job in about a month for that pay or more since the cost of living is higher. I want to spend about $800 for a 2 bedroom that is close to the beach and...." posts.
Definitely not expecting to pay $800/month for a TWO bedroom! I have researched for a few years now, so I think I have an idea. Boston is 1 of the most expensive cities in the country (not THE most, but right up there). You can't get a 1 bedroom (decent...no bells & whistles) in the surrounding Boston area for under $1200...and that is at the LOW end and not downtown and with no parking and probably no laundry. I would expect to pay $1200-1500/month in rent. I ended up buying in Boston b/c at the rate for rents, it was actually about the same to just pay a mortgage. At least in CA, you get some sun and can actually enjoy life outdoors. The weather just gets tiring and you find yourself living life indoors b/c it's always raining or snowing. We SAVOR sunny days around here!

PS- a girl I worked with last year moved to CA (LA area) less than a year ago and just secured a 1st grade general education teaching postition in a top district....so it's not impossible!!
......I know, I know....she'll get pink slipped after 1 year......

Last edited by Sbostongirl; 06-17-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
But that is LA. And LA is a much different job market than San Diego.

For one thing it is much larger and more diverse than San Diego.

LA Unified is the 2nd largest school district in the nation and then you have tons of suburbs.

It has always been easier to find work in LA as opposed to San Diego.

San Diego even when the economy was better has never been a good job market.

As another poster suggested you might want to look in other areas of CA.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:49 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post

This one's my favorite. It gets used in many arguments, from careers to the real estate market.

10 years ago folks were being warned about how much tougher things are than they used to be. And 20 years ago. And 30 years ago, etc.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
hey I was not the one with the pink slip warnings. Reality is, LA cannot be compared to SD. Those that are here keep abreast of the local news and know that for public jobs, the situation is not good-meaning layoffs have occured and there is very little hiring. Any employer is obligated to rehire layed off staff before going to the outside. I would be shocked if any school district were hiring. My husband works in higher ed for school administration....thus he works with many school administrators- just asked him if anyone is hiring and he said "Hell no".

edit/add-not trying to stop you, go for it. in the meantime, get a local google phone number or use you sister's address, apply for a few jobs and see how it goes...

Last edited by Clevelandgal; 06-17-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: spelling typo :)

Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
This one's my favorite. It gets used in many arguments, from careers to the real estate market.

10 years ago folks were being warned about how much tougher things are than they used to be. And 20 years ago. And 30 years ago, etc.
We have the worst economy since the Great Depression, and it isn't getting better.

That is a reality.

If it were 1998 it would be different.

People used to move to Las Vegas and have a job within a week.

Now they have one of the highest employment rates in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego