U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 PM

106 posts, read 215,320 times

Advertisements

Traffic don't bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 PM

116 posts, read 214,566 times
As others have said, really depends on what you like to do. For example, if you lived and worked downtown, you might be ok. Getting to the beach by bus wouldn't hurt too bad.

SD's public transportation is passable during daylight hours. The problem is at night when buses and the trolley(lol) run so sporadically. Cabs are expensive as they are everywhere.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM

574 posts, read 823,199 times
Los Angeles is quite a bit better for living without a car. More frequent schedules, decent subway system and politicians who realize that mass transit is important. In five years, with all of the proposed rail projects on the docket, including connections directly to the airport and the blue line to Santa Moncia, LA will be a different place.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM

4,631 posts, read 8,558,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
Los Angeles is quite a bit better for living without a car. More frequent schedules, decent subway system and politicians who realize that mass transit is important. In five years, with all of the proposed rail projects on the docket, including connections directly to the airport and the blue line to Santa Moncia, LA will be a different place.
I have been following the plans for the expanded subway in LA for the past couple of months and it looks incredible. The LA Times covers it pretty well.

Hopefully there arent too many problems and red tape along the way.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:32 PM

1,471 posts, read 2,805,291 times
I am not expert, but the problem I see with LA is about how spread out it is. What are the odds of living, working and hanging out in connected areas? SD does not have the best system, but there is a good chance you could work downtown and live and play in near downtown areas-I find the neighborhoods I like best-north park, south park, hillcrest , golden hill, downtown are all so close. I rarely even go to mission valley unless I need to hit Ikea or maybe target and this is only once every 3 months-and still MV is only 4 miles away.
...the only place I need to get to more than a few miles away is the beach and sometimes a run up the coast. Before I lived here I used public transportation to get to the beach and loved it. No parking, no hassle, have a cocktail, relax. car ownership is over-rated. I am trying very hard to cut the tether, but since it only costs us insurance, tags and an oil a change a year it has been worth it to keep it.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I am not expert, but the problem I see with LA is about how spread out it is. What are the odds of living, working and hanging out in connected areas? SD does not have the best system, but there is a good chance you could work downtown and live and play in near downtown areas-I find the neighborhoods I like best-north park, south park, hillcrest , golden hill, downtown are all so close. I rarely even go to mission valley unless I need to hit Ikea or maybe target and this is only once every 3 months-and still MV is only 4 miles away.
...the only place I need to get to more than a few miles away is the beach and sometimes a run up the coast. Before I lived here I used public transportation to get to the beach and loved it. No parking, no hassle, have a cocktail, relax. car ownership is over-rated. I am trying very hard to cut the tether, but since it only costs us insurance, tags and an oil a change a year it has been worth it to keep it.
I am in Lemon Grove which takes ~25 mins to get to the 12th and Imperial stop on the Orange Line downtown. Its terrific on weekends to just either ride my bike down there or just hop on the trolley.
I would say its more about conditioning when it comes to choosing mass transit as an initial choice.

I dont know, perhaps because I grew up taking the subway in NYC its just a way to get from point A to point B. All I know is that it works for what I know I am going to use it for.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 PM

14 posts, read 37,400 times
It's possible but I wouldn't want to do it. Like others said you will spend a lot of time commuting or asking for others with a car to help you (fill in the blank). I think you should want to explore the vast area which is San Diego. There are so many great things around San Diego that you could miss out on. I did know people who survived with just a bike but again you would need help in the transportation area at some point guaranteed.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stance Dance View Post
It's possible but I wouldn't want to do it. Like others said you will spend a lot of time commuting or asking for others with a car to help you (fill in the blank). I think you should want to explore the vast area which is San Diego. There are so many great things around San Diego that you could miss out on. I did know people who survived with just a bike but again you would need help in the transportation area at some point guaranteed.
Totally agree
Its by no means "there" yet in terms of its frequency. From what I see they have planned, it looks VERY promising but we are talking 2050 maybe?! haha Throw in some red tape in there and bureaucracy and maybe tack on another 20 years. We'll revisit the forum and ask "remember when..."

Old 06-18-2011, 06:39 PM

24 posts, read 88,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Is it possible to get around San Diego on public transportation conveniently without owning a car or having to drive?
No.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 AM

12,941 posts, read 23,921,129 times
I had a job interview on Friday morning at 9:00 downtown. I took the #15 bus at 8:12am, and was downtown in 20 minutes. I was at my destination before the person interviewing me was even there.

It can work if you want it to work. It's much easier taking public transporation if you're in the city, though. I take it all the time, and it saves me over $100 per month in gas. I drive as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or