U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:36 AM

5 posts, read 44,157 times

Advertisements

I've been doing research as to whether or not it's worth it to get medicine in Tijuana; however, most articles are out-of-date being over 5 years old.

My question aimed at someone from San Diego, me being based in Orange County, or someone with experience making trips to Tijuana is the area safe?

My intent is to go during the day and purchase medicine right off the border and then head back immediately. I'm purchasing antibiotics, so it's nothing like pain medication or anything with the potential of abuse or selling.

Just wondering if there is any real threat assuming I keep to myself and don't stick out like a sore thumb. Also, one of the antibiotics I want to purchase may require a prescription. Would that raise any other issues. If so, how would I be able to circumvent them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,219,852 times
are the pain meds they sell in mexico even real? or are they safe? i heard that they were not the same quality as legitimate meds in the US.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 AM

49,627 posts, read 41,783,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weefy12 View Post
I've been doing research as to whether or not it's worth it to get medicine in Tijuana; however, most articles are out-of-date being over 5 years old.

My question aimed at someone from San Diego, me being based in Orange County, or someone with experience making trips to Tijuana is the area safe?

My intent is to go during the day and purchase medicine right off the border and then head back immediately. I'm purchasing antibiotics, so it's nothing like pain medication or anything with the potential of abuse or selling.

Just wondering if there is any real threat assuming I keep to myself and don't stick out like a sore thumb. Also, one of the antibiotics I want to purchase may require a prescription. Would that raise any other issues. If so, how would I be able to circumvent them?
I would think more than twice about buying meds in TJ, maybe not everywhere in Mexico but on the border I would. Only you can decide about the safety and whether the cost savings is worth the chances you would be taking.

Nita

Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 AM

4,536 posts, read 4,751,353 times
I am not Mex Pharma expert, but for the times that I have had to go....
There quite a few pharmacies when you first cross over into old TJ near Revolucion as well in new Tijuana. However as you are not familiar with TJ, its best to stay to main the roads or better yet walk over the bridge and cross in.
I havent gone over to buy meds so not sure about the concern you have raising flags. However, I am highly doubtful that would be the case.

I NEVER went to old TJ though as its just a tourist trap and its not that the drugs wont be legit, its that you will pay a premium for them. If you speak Spanish, go into new TJ near the Centro, more locals and businesses are there that dont cater to toursits.

As an alternative, have you considered buying online? There are tons of Canadian and MX pharmacies that do legitimate business online....with prescriptions from the Dr. of course

Just1Lion
The meds are very real given you arent buying it from the same guy that is trying to sell you gold bracelets or tamales.
Quality is no different. Not sure where you heard that from.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,044,125 times
Be advised that you may need a Mexican doctor's prescription to purchase medications in Mexico. They may sell it to you but you could still be arrested.

Several years ago there was an American who went to TJ to save money on some legitimate medications but was detained after purchasing them. They kept him in jail. This story was on the local news here.

Do research on this.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:44 PM

8,796 posts, read 12,389,414 times
I go across the border once or twice a year to buy medication, and have had no problems. But I only buy a few bottles at a time, so if you're planning on buying in excess you'll have a problem. I declare all my medication at the border, and it's never been questioned. I found that the Amsterdam Pharmacy has the best prices.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 44,157 times
Shmoov,
Yeah, I was planning on walking across the bridge. My Spanish is very poor, so should I stick with going to old TJ? My problem is getting the prescription itself. I have a $100 Co-pay and went to visit my doctor the first time. However, he gave me the wrong or less potent antibiotics than I should have been prescribed. He said, if they don't work, then to come back and he'll try something else. I went back and paid another $100 Co-pay only to receive the same medication and to take it over a longer period of time. My doctor said, if it didn't work this time, he'll try something else for real. Now I'm at the point of knowing what the other medication is called, but don't want to spend another $100 to contribute to him and/or even worse him not giving me the medication again. ( I'm not asking for anything crazy either-- it's Amoxycylin and Fluconazole, which is an OTC in a lot of countries.)

Futbool,
Yeah, I heard I might need a prescription for some of the items, but I read somewhere that there is usually a doctor across the street from the pharmacy that'll write you a prescription for 20$ or so. Also, I heard about that US guy going to jail too; however, even though it was legitimate, I remember hearing that he was buying a large amount of medication, including pain killers.

Moved,
That makes me feel better. Can you tell me what steps you take in regards to purchasing medication. For example, do you have to get prescriptions in Mexico? Where is Amsterdamn Pharmacy located in regards to the border? Also, I only intend on buying 2-3 bottles of different prescriptions, none of which have potential for abuse (Moxifloxacin, Azithromycin, Fluconazole.)

Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM

8,796 posts, read 12,389,414 times
I've never needed a prescription, and don't worry about your Spanish - everyone speaks English. When you walk across the bridge and go through the turnstile, you'll start getting flagged down by the people in the pharmacies. I think there are three right next to each other. Last year I paid $19.50 for two bottles of Amoxicillin 500mg with 60 caplets in each bottle.

If you keep walking past the first pharmacies, you should see the sign that says "Amsterdam Pharmacy." If you really think you need a prescription, they'll write you one in the pharmacy. There's also another pharmacy that has a doctor in it sometimes.

I doubt if you'll have any problems. Just make sure that you have a passport or passport card to cross back into the US.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM

4,536 posts, read 4,751,353 times
moved is right. You shouldnt worry about your Spanish at all. English is $poken. I was only referring to some of the other areas of TJ, where tourists probably wouldnt be going and even then english is spoken there. I just feel more obliged to speak in Spanish there even though I sound like a 2nd grader lol

$100 co-pay?! You really should have told the Dr your co-pay situation on the 2nd visit. Try calling him back and talking to him on the phone about it. I am certain he would just send in the prescription over the phone to the pharmacy given its $100 a pop.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 PM

106 posts, read 120,218 times
Why not use a Canadian pharmacy and have it shipped to your door? I've used one for years and the stuff I have to take is 20 a pop local 1.50 shipped to my door as a generic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego