U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 10:39 PM

2,266 posts, read 1,616,919 times

Advertisements

I would have given you another rep, but I need to spread the love around a bit more.....

as for the comment from the other guy about the media.....the only East Coast bias in the media I am aware of pertains to sports...what, do the Chargers and Padres deserve more attention?...it's not as though they've ever won a world championship--ever, not even one!...heck, I'd even settle for a no hitter....ouch. Orange County isn't even a city but at least they have a couple of world championships. Why, then, would ESPN and the "East Coast media", show more love?....not aware of a bias from a news perspective v. California--except from the one "faux" news network that pretends to be one that refers to the other East Coast media outlets as the liberal media and dislikes California because its voting record and government representation differs from their political agenda and interests. Would love to see some newsworthy examples if they exist, beyond sports, of East Coast media bias v California....if anything, they've helped portray and create a false, overly positive "Beach Boys meets Donna Reed" image where you too can get discovered by a talent agent, roam on the beach with the Baywatch chicks, and strike it rich overnight while driving in your Aston Martin convertible on your way to yoga class or Starbucks or Whole Foods to purchase Kale lettuce....if they would read this forum they would hear from many who, instead--and rightfully so--complain about the high cost of living without a sufficient number of high paying jobs to barely support their lifestyle (that does not mention what I sarcastically just described).

[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Because the eastern United States is for the most part the most developed and the most populated. It therefore has most of the best schools, best connected families, the capital, etc. That, and it is...Dog. Eat. Dog.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-02-2015 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:22 PM

392 posts, read 254,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
i know you are but what am i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsocal View Post
it seems that most of the posters on cd are kids, at least they act like they are.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:30 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,273,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
true...but again, I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that there was an even greater wealth disparity/wealth concentration (i.e. fewer number of families making up their 1%, controlling more of their country's wealth) in these other countries than in the US.....last stat I looked at showed the top 1% in this country owned 42% of the wealth in the US...curious what the top 1% in various Latin American countries control in their home countries, i.e.. 50%, 60% of the wealth, more?...too lazy to research (if I can find such a stat) before posting this comment..
Yes, there is such a stat and economists call it the Gini Coefficient. Sort of like a correlation coefficient in stats. A Gini coefficient of 1 means absolute inequality and a 0 means absolute equality.

Your initial inclination is correct: Brazil and Latin America are more top heavy than the U.S. and the USA is more unequal than Europe and Japan, etc.

Brazil is historically one of the most unequal countries in Latin America (which is a highly stratified area to begin with). Brazil is around a 0.51 while the USA is around 0.38 and egalitarian Sweden is about a 0.23.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ncome_equality

Old 01-02-2015, 11:48 PM

392 posts, read 254,024 times
Quote:
....by chance, are you hearing black helicopters circling around your apartment?
Not sure what you're referring to here. And I don't live in an apartment.

Quote:
I would have given you another rep, but I need to spread the love around a bit more.....

as for the comment from the other guy about the media.....the only East Coast bias in the media I am aware of pertains to sports...what, do the Chargers and Padres deserve more attention?...it's not as though they've ever won a world championship--ever, not even one!...heck, I'd even settle for a no hitter....ouch. Orange County isn't even a city but at least they have a couple of world championships. Why, then, would ESPN and the "East Coast media", show more love?....not aware of a bias from a news perspective v. California--except from the one "faux" news network that pretends to be one that refers to the other East Coast media outlets as the liberal media and dislikes California because its voting record and government representation differs from their political agenda and interests. Would love to see some newsworthy examples if they exist, beyond sports, of East Coast media bias v California....if anything, they've helped portray and create a false, overly positive "Beach Boys meets Donna Reed" image where you too can get discovered by a talent agent, roam on the beach with the Baywatch chicks, and strike it rich overnight while driving in your Aston Martin convertible on your way to yoga class or Starbucks or Whole Foods to purchase Kale lettuce....if they would read this forum they would hear from many who, instead--and rightfully so--complain about the high cost of living without a sufficient number of high paying jobs to barely support their lifestyle (that does not mention what I sarcastically just described).
[/quote]

What do I care about the Chargers and Padres? Because I'm from San Diego, I'm automatically supposed to support them? I'm not into sports, and I never was. It's modern tribalism, and it's primitive and stupid. I'll play a game of soccer or basketball for fun but I don't really care about sports.

And I didn't say that the media was "East Coast", oddly enough a lot of what I'm referring to comes straight out of Hollywood. One example that comes to mind is fairly recent: You've heard of the popular show American Horror Story? In the first season, our main characters (a family) move from Boston to an extravagant mansion in L.A. because the father wanted their family to "start over". Upon driving into L.A., while in their car, they go off about how the sun is noticeably "dimmer" in L.A. (due to smog). The most examples come from their annoying daughter (Taissa Farmiga), who's dialogue in each episode of the season appears to mostly contain California-bashing comments, supported by her mother, and also supported by her psychopathic love-interest (Evan Peters) who is also originally from Boston. They all clearly hate California. The obvious, predictable wisecracks about the weather in Southern California are made as well. I don't even dislike the series - but that's the kind of crap I'm talking about. Even some of my favorite comedians (ones who are from the East Coast) frequently exhibit this anti-California behavior, constantly. Especially if they are from New York. I don't care if you hate California but quit letting everybody else know just how much you hate it. If you hate it so much, just stay away and shut up. You'll find many more examples in media, like Mad Men (a show that I actually like), ALL late-night talk shows/political satires and their dimwitted hosts, and commercials.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 AM

Why are you so preoccupied with what others--most of whom you've never met--think?...and, honestly, you are taking to heart what comedians and reality, or whatever, TV series actors have to say??

Last edited by elchevere; 01-03-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Temeku:

This is definitely going to **** you off more , but this exchange from the movie "Get Shorty" is one of my most funny and memorable scenes involving the late Danny Farina who played a gangster, Ray "Bones" Barboni from Miami, after he has just landed at LAX and is having a conversation with his limousine driver....please note it was Hollywood--not some East Coast establishment--that came up with this movie and the script (unless you can find evidence that the script writer was from the East Coast):

Ray 'Bones' Barboni (Character) - Quotes

Old 01-04-2015, 10:22 AM

11,324 posts, read 7,290,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temeku View Post
What do I care about the Chargers and Padres? Because I'm from San Diego, I'm automatically supposed to support them? I'm not into sports, and I never was. It's modern tribalism, and it's primitive and stupid. I'll play a game of soccer or basketball for fun but I don't really care about sports.

And I didn't say that the media was "East Coast", oddly enough a lot of what I'm referring to comes straight out of Hollywood. One example that comes to mind is fairly recent: You've heard of the popular show American Horror Story? In the first season, our main characters (a family) move from Boston to an extravagant mansion in L.A. because the father wanted their family to "start over". Upon driving into L.A., while in their car, they go off about how the sun is noticeably "dimmer" in L.A. (due to smog). The most examples come from their annoying daughter (Taissa Farmiga), who's dialogue in each episode of the season appears to mostly contain California-bashing comments, supported by her mother, and also supported by her psychopathic love-interest (Evan Peters) who is also originally from Boston. They all clearly hate California. The obvious, predictable wisecracks about the weather in Southern California are made as well. I don't even dislike the series - but that's the kind of crap I'm talking about. Even some of my favorite comedians (ones who are from the East Coast) frequently exhibit this anti-California behavior, constantly. Especially if they are from New York. I don't care if you hate California but quit letting everybody else know just how much you hate it. If you hate it so much, just stay away and shut up. You'll find many more examples in media, like Mad Men (a show that I actually like), ALL late-night talk shows/political satires and their dimwitted hosts, and commercials.[/quote]

Wow, that is high and mighty of you and kind of hypocritical. It is OK not to care about sports but to say they are primitive and stupid puts down the majority of the population. You sound like one those people that point out they don't own a TV and then call it an idiot box.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:10 AM

10,830 posts, read 3,824,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechase View Post
I realize that many of you will disagree with this post, and I'm not looking really to convince you. I'm writing from the perspective of a single, early 30s educated professional.
...Culturally San Diego is a world apart even from Los Angeles and Orange County. Though there are islands of professional communities mostly in and around La Jolla, and plenty of idle rich in Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe, most of San Diego is decidedly lower middle class. You can see it in the proliferation of Ford F150s, the very strong military element (as a % of the population, no U.S. urban area has more military connected people than San Diego-- and that's including D.C. Metro), the local obsession with dive bars, and the general lack of sophistication. You will find few people here who are interested in the world and who emphasize the values of education and hard work. They call this "laid back", which I thought meant relaxed, but really means uninterested. You will not find much in the way of cultural organizations around politics, art and culture and when you do you will find they cater to a much, much older crowd. You will meet a lot of locals who've rarely left California. For those coming from bigger cities, this will be a big culture shock.
It doesn't matter whether you're talking about New York City or San Diego: The arts everywhere have become institutionalized and sterile. Contemporary "serious" (as opposed to popular) art, music and literature no longer even try to please the public; they don't need to, what with universities, foundations and cadres of wannabes inhabiting an incestuous, self-reinforcing, conformist bubble, cushioned by and perpetuated with tax dollars. There really is no worthy new art to speak of. The performing arts are outstanding, but I am speaking of creative arts, which are the necessary basis for a living culture instead of a culture that only exists in museums, concert halls and libraries.

We now live in an age of science, technology, multiculturalism, political correctness, mass immigration and globalization -- all of which run counter to the culturally distinct, individualistic and highly personal conditions needed in order for art and intellect to thrive.

"Culture" as it exists today is hardly anything more than a status symbol, a mere pose. It requires no moral commitment, and it is not dangerous, unless one fails to conform -- the very opposite of what it used to be. As with culture, so with education. You want an education? Go to the public library and follow your interests. Outside of the sciences, the spoon-feeding and indoctrination that goes on in our schools and universities -- conform or else -- is not education.

In what sense, other than population and geography, is San Diego any different than, say, New York City in this regard? In no sense at all. Being both larger and much more geographically concentrated, New York is a much larger "marketplace" for what passes as culture nowadays. That is all.

Your prized sophistication, education and culture are nothing more than a pretense. Unfortunately, the sensible, down to earth ways of San Diego are being threatened by an increasing influx of hipsters and other devotees of trendiness. As far as I am concerned, we are entering a brave new world of barbarism. And there is nothing I can see that will prevent that from happening.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:39 AM

11,324 posts, read 7,290,148 times
onechase really touched a nerve. He hasn't been around the threads in a few years now.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,915,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temeku View Post

And I didn't say that the media was "East Coast", oddly enough a lot of what I'm referring to comes straight out of Hollywood. One example that comes to mind is fairly recent: You've heard of the popular show American Horror Story? In the first season, our main characters (a family) move from Boston to an extravagant mansion in L.A. because the father wanted their family to "start over". Upon driving into L.A., while in their car, they go off about how the sun is noticeably "dimmer" in L.A. (due to smog). The most examples come from their annoying daughter (Taissa Farmiga), who's dialogue in each episode of the season appears to mostly contain California-bashing comments, supported by her mother, and also supported by her psychopathic love-interest (Evan Peters) who is also originally from Boston. They all clearly hate California. The obvious, predictable wisecracks about the weather in Southern California are made as well. I don't even dislike the series - but that's the kind of crap I'm talking about. Even some of my favorite comedians (ones who are from the East Coast) frequently exhibit this anti-California behavior, constantly. Especially if they are from New York. I don't care if you hate California but quit letting everybody else know just how much you hate it. If you hate it so much, just stay away and shut up. You'll find many more examples in media, like Mad Men (a show that I actually like), ALL late-night talk shows/political satires and their dimwitted hosts, and commercials.
That's one of the reasons why I rarely, if ever, befriend transplants, especially those from the Northeast, Pacific Northwest, or Texas. In my experience, transplants from those areas tend to be the most cynical about Southern California and its shortcomings. Typically, those are the transplants that eventually return to wherever they came from originally.

It seems like transplants from other areas like Arizona or the Midwest rarely, if ever, leave. Those people are just so unbelievably thrilled to be out of the heat and/or cold, they could care less about anything else.

Although I don't live in San Diego, I do live in Southern California (Long Beach). One of the reasons why I enjoy living in the Long Beach/South Bay area is that there relatively few transplants compared to, say, the Westside of Los Angeles or South Orange County. Transplants in California, especially those in the LA/OC area, are really a breed of their own, and thankfully, they tend to live, travel, and hunt in packs.

That said, I usually only associate with native Californians. They tend to be more positive, upbeat, and easygoing and less pretentious than transplants. I never, ever make wisecracks about Southern California or California in general -- I love it way, way to much -- so I don't condone that behavior. I'm from the school of thought where if you hate it so much, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

I also assimilate and socialize incredibly well here, and I think that's where the disconnect occurs between myself and other transplants. After all, I may not have been born in California, but California was born in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego