U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 8,381,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood2 View Post
It's a shame that a community pool was not part of the original plans. Kind of hard to believe, actually, for a modern master planned community in So Cal.
This is a good point. When I went to SEH during the buildout phases I really loved the concept of the area. I put Del Sur and SEH in the same category roughly but mind you this was back in 06-07ish during the boom years.

I really wanted to like it there, but I felt at the time that it was over priced. I think its still a very nice place and there are lots of people that just really love it. I am not sure how the downturn has affected the area, but it seemed like it was pretty insulated from a swamping of distress.
The sales pitch back then seemed a bit overly ambitious and where they were going to put a Stater Bros or Trader Joes, there is now an Albertsons.
The pool issue was also something that I never saw in the little model they had set up in town center. When I asked that question, the responses were speculative at best.

I do hope that this pool happens for the folks that live there because its quite charming. From what I remember, SEH was quite warm as it sat in somewhat of a valley, discounting the higher areas of course.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 06-22-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 PM

788 posts, read 1,497,623 times
Quote:
It's a shame that a community pool was not part of the original plans. Kind of hard to believe, actually, for a modern master planned community in So Cal.
That's exactly what my parents thought when our family went to opening day a decade ago. But I suppose you have to consider that the community was planned when San Marcos was still a city of around 40,000. 2 community pools (not including the community pool at palomar college) must have seemed like enough at the time. Now San Marcos has 85,000 and could use a pool in the southern portion of the city..

Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 4,734,629 times
If you want to see the epitome of "Keeping up with the Joneses," go to San Elijo Hills. I've never seen so many people trying to be conspicuous with their supposed wealth than I have out there. No thanks, I'll stay in Encinitas.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:29 PM

124 posts, read 269,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
If you want to see the epitome of "Keeping up with the Joneses," go to San Elijo Hills. I've never seen so many people trying to be conspicuous with their supposed wealth than I have out there. No thanks, I'll stay in Encinitas.
I've heard about this a lot when I lived in San Marcos. Apparently, residents of SEH do not want to be lump in the same category as the rest of the San Marcos residents. Most of them have the SEH sticker on their cars. Like they want to stress the fact that they might live in San Marcos... but they're SEH. I live in Temecula and I've never seen stickers that tout which HOA/neighborhood you belong to.

I also heard that the residents there have some issues with the rest of San Marcos residents using their parks and whatnot. The fact that they're paying so much money in Mello Roos but that everybody can use it... which everybody can since it's a city property, not a SEH property.

I personally haven't met anybody with this attitude... but this is the talk going around when I lived there.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahnessuh View Post
I've heard about this a lot when I lived in San Marcos. Apparently, residents of SEH do not want to be lump in the same category as the rest of the San Marcos residents. Most of them have the SEH sticker on their cars. Like they want to stress the fact that they might live in San Marcos... but they're SEH. I live in Temecula and I've never seen stickers that tout which HOA/neighborhood you belong to.

I also heard that the residents there have some issues with the rest of San Marcos residents using their parks and whatnot. The fact that they're paying so much money in Mello Roos but that everybody can use it... which everybody can since it's a city property, not a SEH property.

I personally haven't met anybody with this attitude... but this is the talk going around when I lived there.
I've heard about it a lot too, but personally haven't met anybody with that mentality. I think the main thing that bothers them is that they pay more fees towards the schools, which (the middle school at least) is used by non-residents. Correct me if I am wrong SEH residents lol.

Like any wealthier community, the residents are just more uptight. For instance, I've had parents ask us not to play hip hop around their children- not even Kid's Bop versions- how overly protective is that??. Also, I would agree, for the most part, with Encinitan's description because SEH is probably the most middle class, rich-acting community. Honestly though, I feel like La Costans are far more snobbier, but that's just from my personal experience. Encinitas has it's fair share too, but the people living there actually have the money. It doesn't mean they have better attitudes, but I guess it is less fake..... Wow, I can't believe how many huge generalizations we have all made about places we don't live! lol

There are a lot of communities that try to distinguish themselves, San Elijo Hills is just one of them. La Jolla and Scripps Ranch are two obvious examples. Remember that most people from out of town don't even realize that La Jolla is in the City of San Diego...

But what's wrong with creating a sense of community anyhow? It's one of the things we left behind with suburbanization.... There is little distinguishable boundaries from one massive tract development to another, other than a cheesy name and walls. We don't have local shops where " everyone knows your name". You don't see your neighbors working at local stores, but rather people from other communities that commute. The only places with some sense of cohesion are poorer, inner city neighborhoods....

Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,034,187 times
Quote:
Not really, a lot of upper-middle class people in North County would never consider swimming/sharing pool water with people they don't know. Especially with this whole non-vaccination movement (even though chlorine kills most things, it doesn't kill everything).

Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
I've heard about it a lot too, but personally haven't met anybody with that mentality. I think the main thing that bothers them is that they pay more fees towards the schools, which (the middle school at least) is used by non-residents. Correct me if I am wrong SEH residents lol.

Like any wealthier community, the residents are just more uptight. For instance, I've had parents ask us not to play hip hop around their children- not even Kid's Bop versions- how overly protective is that??. Also, I would agree, for the most part, with Encinitan's description because SEH is probably the most middle class, rich-acting community. Honestly though, I feel like La Costans are far more snobbier, but that's just from my personal experience. Encinitas has it's fair share too, but the people living there actually have the money. It doesn't mean they have better attitudes, but I guess it is less fake..... Wow, I can't believe how many huge generalizations we have all made about places we don't live! lol

There are a lot of communities that try to distinguish themselves, San Elijo Hills is just one of them. La Jolla and Scripps Ranch are two obvious examples. Remember that most people from out of town don't even realize that La Jolla is in the City of San Diego...

But what's wrong with creating a sense of community anyhow? It's one of the things we left behind with suburbanization.... There is little distinguishable boundaries from one massive tract development to another, other than a cheesy name and walls. We don't have local shops where " everyone knows your name". You don't see your neighbors working at local stores, but rather people from other communities that commute. The only places with some sense of cohesion are poorer, inner city neighborhoods....
Well, I've heard about it, see it with my own two eyes, and personally know people who live in SEH and are obsessed with keeping up with the others. It's sort of like Ladera Ranch in Orange County, but the irony is, to me, SEH is not even that nice of a place to live.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 AM

80 posts, read 238,944 times
Quote:
It's sort of like Ladera Ranch in Orange County, but the irony is, to me, SEH is not even that nice of a place to live.
Very interesting that you say that since we are moving to CA and we're torn between choosing San Elijo Hills, Ladera Ranch, or Talega (in San Clemente).

Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Very interesting that you say that since we are moving to CA and we're torn between choosing San Elijo Hills, Ladera Ranch, or Talega (in San Clemente).
Sadly, they're all pretty much the same in terms of what I'm talking about.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Well, I've heard about it, see it with my own two eyes, and personally know people who live in SEH and are obsessed with keeping up with the others. It's sort of like Ladera Ranch in Orange County, but the irony is, to me, SEH is not even that nice of a place to live.
The point I was making was that we don't LIVE in SEH, therefore our knowledge of the area is limited. I'm not sure why you feel compelled to rebut this. It would be better to get an opinion from a current resident.

I went to school there, work there every weekday, attend community events, occasionally pick up my sister from SE Middle, go hiking/biking, and visit my friends (the majority of whom live in SEH). But I don't live there. It makes a difference.

Try being a little less one-sided.

djexpress- good observation

Last edited by sdhkshdcny09; 06-24-2011 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or