U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 8,392,330 times

Advertisements

I dont know much about security at all so I am certainly not an expert. But I dont see the difference in security levels between a very active mall parking lot (like Fashion Valley) and the trolley.
There are car break ins and people getting mugged at malls as well, but requiring officers of the law to work there all the time seems a bit like overkill if one were to make comparison.

This is more about effectiveness of security vs armed officers for both. At some point, costs need to be looked at and it sure sounds like having armed officers would be far to expensive ALL the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM

141 posts, read 239,946 times
I see the problem. UNSKILLED. I made 10.00 and hour in 1987, as a tow truck driver in Encinitas.
10.00 dollars is what most fast food pays. These guys are doing police work on trains that are under direct threat of a terrosit attack. They need to let homland security come in and take over. Policing public transportation is not walking around the mall looking for vandals. To put these untrained guards in conact with the public puts the public and the guards at risk.
I would like to get some attention from the news media on this issue as something needs to be done. This is a disaster, and I don't want it to get any worse.

Last edited by beachrescue; 07-06-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
I see the problem. UNSKILLED. I made 10.00 and hour in 1987, as a tow truck driver in Encinitas.
10.00 dollars is what most fast food pays. These guys are doing police work on trains that are under direct threat of a terrosit attack. They need to let homland security come in and take over. Policing public transportation is not walking around the mall looking for vandals. To put these untrained guards in conact with the public puts the public and the guards at risk.
I would like to get some attention from the news media on this issue as something needs to be done. This is a disaster, and I don't want it to get any worse.
City-data might not be the best avenue to get your "message" out. Until you have actual statistics, I cant see how your story would be valid enough to put to print.

Here is some leg work I will do for you which starts with faces and names of the people that make decisions. If you are persistent and have a clear message, I am confident they will listen. So far, my concerns that I have addressed have been very positive. If you can find your local representative on the board, contact them. I would hesitate in telling you to expect miracles overnight.

From the passion and tone you have about this issue, I am certain that you go to council/board meetings and let them know about it
But if you are someone that thinks that your government is ineffective and doesnt listen, I cant say that your message will go anywhere. Your choice.

MTS
MTS Board Members

SANDAG
SANDAG ::ABOUT:: San Diego's Regional Planning Agency

Here are some news sites that might want to take on your story
California Watch | Bold new journalism
voiceofsandiego.org: News. Investigation. Analysis. Conversation. Intelligence.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:43 AM

12,640 posts, read 23,239,324 times
MTS doesn't care. If they did, action would have been taken long ago. I've been told that Heritage has had the MTS contract since it first came up for bid. Even if they put the contract out for bid, Heritage would keep getting it. I would suggest getting in touch with someone at Voice of San Diego to do an article on the situation to attract some attention.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
MTS doesn't care. If they did, action would have been taken long ago. I've been told that Heritage has had the MTS contract since it first came up for bid. Even if they put the contract out for bid, Heritage would keep getting it. I would suggest getting in touch with someone at Voice of San Diego to do an article on the situation to attract some attention.
I only agree partially about your sentiment, otherwise its a cheap way out to say "they dont care". I guess looking really quickly that this Heritage Security has a subdivision called transit Systems Security?Transit Systems Security - A Leader in Transit Security Services
Contact MTS Security

Just like there are lobbyists that make things happen in Govt, they are not always bad for pushing an agenda. Sometimes even people at the top need to be reminded about changes that need to happen. Thats how the process works.

The change needs to start from somewhere. Peanut gallery comments are pointless unless someone is impassioned enough about something to make it happen.
Clearly the OP is but was having challenges getting the message out it appears.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:56 AM

MTS has their own Transit Security, and they're the Code Compliance Officers, and are actually employed by MTS. They're not paid by the Heritage, who is the subcontractor. Heritage does the initial screening for the transit officers, and they pass the screening, their paperwork is faxed to MTS for further consideration. MTS picks out the people that they're interested in, does more interviews, and make the final selections. After that's done, MTS gets back in touch with Heritage, who then contacts the persons interested in the job.

The Transit Systems Security website is just a past from the Heritage website. It's their office address and a different telephone number.

I worked for them from 09/2002 - 09/2004, and I agree that they're a crappy company.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 AM

Well get the word out that MTS does not care about the safety of it riders. If they did they would hire and train real security. I was talking with one of the SDPD fire investigators, metro arson strike team. MTS Security is not a place other agency's go and recruit. It is a bunch of Security guards that cant get hired anywhere else so they are working for Heritage.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 AM

Exclamation TSS is the same company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I only agree partially about your sentiment, otherwise its a cheap way out to say "they dont care". I guess looking really quickly that this Heritage Security has a subdivision called transit Systems Security?Transit Systems Security - A Leader in Transit Security Services
Contact MTS Security

Just like there are lobbyists that make things happen in Govt, they are not always bad for pushing an agenda. Sometimes even people at the top need to be reminded about changes that need to happen. Thats how the process works.

The change needs to start from somewhere. Peanut gallery comments are pointless unless someone is impassioned enough about something to make it happen.
Clearly the OP is but was having challenges getting the message out it appears.
I have pulled the info from the Secretary of State's web site. I am willing to do something. The trolley needs professional law enforcement. Not a bunch of mall cops.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 AM

3,317 posts, read 8,283,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
I feel safer on the SD trolley than I do on many of the other public transportation systems in America.
Yeah, that's not really saying much, lol. American transit systems are crap compared to ones in Japan, London, Paris, and many other places.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
I have pulled the info from the Secretary of State's web site. I am willing to do something. The trolley needs professional law enforcement. Not a bunch of mall cops.
You're right, but the problem is that MTS doesn't want to pay for professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego