Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 03:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of posts for folks that are looking to find a place to live in SD. It can be daunting for sure. Well I came across this nifty tool that is available via the Google Chrome web broswer as an extension (ie you need Chome to run it).

Here is the description from the developers.

The best way to find an apartment or house to rent. PadMapper takes the apartment listings from Craigslist, Apartments.com, Move.com, and lots of others and puts them all on a big Google map.

Some of the amazing features:
- Powerful filters to quickly narrow down results to just the ones that match what you're looking for.
- iPhone and Android apps that integrate with the web app for on-the-go hunting.
- Crime, walkscore, neighborhood, and commute overlays help you decide what area to live in.
- Email alerts when a new listing that matches what you're looking for appears.
- Every time you visit the app, it's just where you left it.

No account required, you can get started right away!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...doafl?hl=en-US

This might save some of you A LOT of time hunting. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM

69 posts, read 235,588 times
Funny, I was just going to put a post up asking what is up with the rental market. Seriously. I have been looking for a place since May 9th. I have had some places I really liked but they are taken immediately. In fact one place I really liked had 2 people show up at 7am before it even went on the market. This is to rent a place!

It really is frustrating. All day today, like everyday for the last month I have been out looking for a place. I jokingly said to my family in Northern CA that I might just go park my car in long term parking and take a vacation. Since I am staying in a hotel at high rates I figure why not?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:05 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
summer is always the busiest season for moving. If it helps any, I think rental prices have gone down since we were looking this time last year.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM

51 posts, read 184,279 times
I'm in the same boat...looking for a nice place to rent in SD.
It's hard to find.
I'm looking for 3+ bedrooms, 2.5 bath, garage, somewhat near a beach or walkable neighborhood for under $2800.

The hard part is that I'm about 90 minutes drive away.

PadMapper is cool, but not really finding alot of what I'm looking for.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 AM

127 posts, read 424,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj970 View Post
I'm in the same boat...looking for a nice place to rent in SD.
It's hard to find.
I'm looking for 3+ bedrooms, 2.5 bath, garage, somewhat near a beach or walkable neighborhood for under $2800.

The hard part is that I'm about 90 minutes drive away.

PadMapper is cool, but not really finding alot of what I'm looking for.

I used padmapper to help map out my hunt. I came out for a week in March and basically saw 12-15 apartments/condos/houses for rent each day. It was nice being able to sit in the hotel room each night and create an itinerary for the next day with out having to scour multiple sites.

The hard part of using padmapper is that it could be a little off with pinpointing locations. (Due to the fact that is is estimating the location of some rental sites when they did not list a specific address.)

I did like how in the advance features you could turn on a commute feature that would estimate your commute time from a given rental to any address you put in. And you could tell it if you where walking or driving too.

It also had a crime overlay that would highlight higher crime areas.

Last edited by DCStudent; 06-25-2011 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego