Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM

15,113 posts, read 32,166,184 times

Advertisements

Every job opening here has well over 100+ applicants applying for the job. Employers are very picky about who they hire, because they can be. They have no lack of applicants, and even people with degrees are applying for those job, and it really helps to be fluent in Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,330,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Every job opening here has well over 100+ applicants applying for the job. Employers are very picky about who they hire, because they can be. They have no lack of applicants, and even people with degrees are applying for those job, and it really helps to be fluent in Spanish.
you know I agree with you except I heard the figure was 300. lol. Anyway its true the market is flooded with over educated, over qualified applicants. Because of this I keep thinking everyone I meet or interact with at all types businesses should be insanely skilled and competent, but oddly that is not the case. My guess is some of these people got the jobs when the economy was more stable, and they are not leaving anytime soon.

I can't really speak for the restaurant business much though. I do recall eating in a grubby bar in PB and overhearing the bartender telling some customers that dozens of people stream in during down times (ie 2-4pm) asking if they are hiring. When I was in college I used to work in high volume, high earning places and I never remember dozens of people coming in a given day, or week for that matter. Sign of the times I guess.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:06 PM

422 posts, read 788,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I heard the housing costs are outrageous in San Diego.

Is it possible to get a 1 bedroom for around $750 in the san diego area? My absolute max that my g/f and I could afford. I really don't understand why there isn't some kind of rent control to create affordable housing. I mean how's someone supposed to keep a roof over their head working for around minimum wage at a service job?

If there is something around that price, what area would this be in? I don't need to be on the water.

Thanks a lot.
Like I tell everyone who wants cheap rent, there are places in the US where you can get rent for $300/mo. If you want to move to a big city, you will have to pay for it. Rent control doesn't create affordable housing. It creates a situation where businessmen don't want to expand, because their profits are limited. When rent control is introduced, the number of new apartment complexes halt and the number that close goes up. Economics 101

>>working for around minimum wage at a service job?

Thats why you pick an area of the country where you can survive at that pay rate, and its certainly not SD.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:35 PM

4,530 posts, read 12,348,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Rent control doesn't create affordable housing. It creates a situation where businessmen don't want to expand, because their profits are limited. When rent control is introduced, the number of new apartment complexes halt and the number that close goes up. Economics 101
Rent control also brings in requirements like the $2000 "key" deposit for the cost of re-keying the locks when you move out. That's one of the above-the-table payments. Then there are the completely under-the-table payments that eventually raise rents, one way or the other, up to market rates. The only difference is that since the building owners don't receive the money, no one is actually incentivized into building more housing.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:33 AM

296 posts, read 612,488 times
Wow, you can get a 1BR apartment in SD for 700 per month?? I thought it would be a lot more than that. I'm moving back to SD and was planning on getting a room in a shared house and spending upwards of 850 per month for that. I guess that'd be a pretty nice house, then, maybe in LaJolla?

What do you guys think realistically, if I found a 2- or 3BR house to rent a room in, and split the whole cost with housemates, in a more middle of the road place economically, like say, in La Mesa, might I expect to pay a less than 850? How much? How about Point Loma/Midway area? I do look on Craigslist but it's hard to get a sense of averages there as its all over the spectrum and a lot of crappy/cheap places alongside expensive/vacation rentals. And some of the more "legit" rental services inflate the prices to make their own profit. What I want is to find an individual with a room to rent in a house and avoid all that nonsense. It works for me, but I won't know for certain till I'm actually there.

I don't really care where I live in SD to be honest, at least for the first 6 months. I'll be thrilled just to be there and most of my energy will be spent in finding work and surfing. I'm budgeting about 15K in cash, will have to get some wheels with that (~5K) and would like to have enough to last 3 months of basic expenses. I have some work already as I work through the net, but I'll be looking definitely to build a business there and likely even take a FT job or freelance contracting jobs programming web apps. I'm looking at a 10-year plan and would like to establish myself there now that I'm of an "adult" age ... So it's not like I'm showing up in San Diego totally clueless and with 700$ like I did 15 years ago (and everything worked out beautifully then, I'll add)

The only... ONLY cause for caution/reserved optimism now is the weak economy. Buuuut, I can be quite frugal and have some good IT skill and essentially no overhead other than my own self to take care of. Having said all that, I think that in some ways a place like SD in a time like this would be a great place to hunker down, not waste any time, and get to work!! For there will be better days ahead.

Last edited by scottfreez; 07-02-2011 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 PM

141 posts, read 286,122 times
I think you had better think again. You seem to have talked your self into this. Do you speak spanish? Most service jobs are controlled by Hispanic supervisors and they wont give you the time of day if you don't speak spanish. Housing is around but you will need first and a deposit and a credit check or you wont get a place. Landlords are fed up with the high eviction rate and wont rent to anyone with credit and no income, that means a job first. If you have no job they will ask for several months in advance.
If you are coming here thinking you are going to get a job in a week or two, your gonna be bummed. Month to two months is the average. If you are looking to paradise and service jobs go to Key West where they hire white people. SD is little Mexico, no service jobs here.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,556,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
I think you had better think again. You seem to have talked your self into this. Do you speak spanish? Most service jobs are controlled by Hispanic supervisors and they wont give you the time of day if you don't speak spanish. Housing is around but you will need first and a deposit and a credit check or you wont get a place. Landlords are fed up with the high eviction rate and wont rent to anyone with credit and no income, that means a job first. If you have no job they will ask for several months in advance.
If you are coming here thinking you are going to get a job in a week or two, your gonna be bummed. Month to two months is the average. If you are looking to paradise and service jobs go to Key West where they hire white people. SD is little Mexico, no service jobs here.
On point with this post

Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 AM

4,530 posts, read 12,348,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
Wow, you can get a 1BR apartment in SD for 700 per month??
Yes a $700/month apartment can be found, but it will be in a bad part of town. However, for $850 you can get an apartment in an ok part of town.

Quote:
What do you guys think realistically, if I found a 2- or 3BR house to rent a room in
Yes, that is a good way to save money. You could probably get the monthly rent down to the $650-$750 range in many decent enough areas.

Quote:
I don't really care where I live in SD to be honest, at least for the first 6 months.
That will make things easier for you. Other than a few bad areas, most of the city will be open to you and you'll save some serious money.

Quote:
I'm budgeting about 15K in cash, will have to get some wheels with that (~5K) and would like to have enough to last 3 months of basic expenses.
I think 15k in cash is sound planning and makes this a doable move. However, there are two problems. As others have said, getting someone to rent to you without a job. If you can get past that hurdle, you're good. The other hurdle is getting a job within the 4 months remaining before your cash runs out.

There are some pretty negative comments above this post. These are sound cautionary warnings. However, I think you are in a position to make this move work since you have your 15k in cash.

Sure wish you didn't have to buy a car though. That adds a note of uncertainty. Suppose you buy a lemon that requires $2k in repairs after you spend the $5k? Spend the money on a mechanical check before you buy.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 AM

296 posts, read 612,488 times
Thank you for your reply, Kettlepot. I have a handle on it. I'd be stoked to find a decent house to share in the $700 range and just pay up 4 or 5 months up front if necessary.

Re: credit checks etc., I've been looking around on the housing offered ads in Craigslist, finding tons of ads from people offering month-to-month house shares, 1st and last upfront, no credit check. In moving back to San Diego, this situation would be my ideal, as the whole rental process can be a pain and I'd rather not have all the overhead or commitment in the beginning.

As for the other risks of buying a car and so on, life's a roll of the dice.

beachrescue - I think you haven't read or understood much in my post. If my biggest concern should be competing with individuals who are worried about illegal semi-literates stealing their Jiffy Lube jobs away, then I really have nothing to worry about. Of course I know there's more to it than that. I do speak a bit of Spanish, by the way, and am interested in learning more, not in order to work for a Mexican in San Diego, but for traveling to S. America. And hey, the richest guy in the world speaks Spanish natively, maybe I'll work for him

FWIW I lived in San Diego for years so I know the city, though it's been about 5 years so I'm guessing it's changed a bit. I have friends there who have offered to give me a place to stay until I get it sorted, but I don't wish to impose upon them. At the risk of sounding cocky I don't consider anything about San Diego to be intimidating or daunting. I have to laugh at all the negativity and tunnel vision I see on these threads. Maybe it's just dumb luck that I happened to leave on a good note and sit out the recession in Europe ... The sun will come out tomorrow, my friends. (and if you don't believe it, why not GTFO and move to Texas)

Last edited by scottfreez; 07-03-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,242,421 times
Quote:
Thank you for the good reply Kettlepot. I have a handle on it. I'd be stoked to find a decent house to share in the $700 range and just pay up 4 or 5 months up front if necessary.

But on the note of credit checks etc, I've been looking around on the housing offered ads in Craigslist, there are tons of offers there from people offering month-to-month house shares, 1st and last upfront, no credit check. In moving back to San Diego, this situation would be my goal in the beginning, as the whole rental process can be a pain and I'd rather not have all the overhead or commitment.

As for the other risks of buying a car and so on, life's a roll of the dice.

beachrescue - I think you haven't read or understood much in my post. If my biggest concern should be competing with individuals who are worried about illegal semi-literates stealing their Jiffy Lube jobs away, then I really have nothing to worry about. Of course I know there's more to it than that.

I do speak a bit of Spanish, by the way, and am interested in learning more, not in order to work for a Mexican in San Diego, but for traveling to S. America. And hey, the richest guy in the world speaks Spanish natively...

FWIW I lived in San Diego for years so I know the city, though it's been about 5 years so I'm guessing it's changed a bit. I have friends there who have offered to give me a place to stay until I figure things out, though I don't wish to impose upon them. At the risk of sounding cocky I don't consider anything about San Diego to be intimidating or daunting and have to laugh at all the negativity and tunnel vision I see on these threads. Maybe it's just dumb luck that I happened to leave on a good note and sit out the recession in Europe ... The sun will come out tomorrow, my friends. (and if you don't believe it, why not GTFO and move to Texas)
Hey scotfreez,

You seem to have a good attitude and cash saved up, which puts you in a better position than most, from comparable posts in the past.

There will always be a more "ideal" situation or grass is greener scenario to move to a new place. However, in order to take calculated risks, you have to actually do it at some point. I know from personal experience that if I didnt trust myself enough to figure things out with the little that I had, the failures and success wouldnt have been a motivating factor to where I am now in life. Even looking ahead, to new ventures, still the same approach albeit slightly wiser.

Yes, the economy is in the tank, but I believe it can make for the BEST opportunities given you are in the right position. In other words making luck happen. Life is about taking certain risks and it sounds like you are up for the challenge.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego