Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 AM
LDH

168 posts, read 586,975 times

Advertisements

I too think flying into San Francisco would be a good idea. You could stay there for a day or two and then head down to Carmel/Monterey. Make sure you take the 17-Mile Drive where you will see some of the most beautiful coastline. Monterey also has the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I would then continue down Highway 1 to visit Hearst Castle which is in San Simeon and stay in Cambria. Cambria is a nice, little town right along the ocean. You can then head on over to Yosemite for a couple of days. Then if you have time up to Lake Tahoe and Napa Valley.

Google Maps is a good tool to use to see distances/driving times to help you map out your trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 04:54 PM

22,635 posts, read 24,503,917 times
Hang out in Downtown San Diego......the East side.........you can Watch Urban Campers in their natural habitat.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,425,505 times
Fly into SF (1-2 nights)
Drive south through Santa Cruz and Monterey (1 night)
Drive east through the Central Valley to either Sequoia or Yosemite (1 long day drive, 1-2 nights)
Drive south to Los Angeles (1 long day drive, 1-2 nights)
Drive south to San Diego (1-2 nights)

That's basically 10 days right there. Even if your goal is to see CA's natural splendor, you can't visit CA and not go to SF or LA. Unless you are a serious hiker or backpacker you are not going to be able to penetrate the CA wilderness in a car without spending some serious time in the backcountry with very little in the way of amenities. Sequoia and Yosemite are packed with tourists in summer anyway - don't expect any peace and quiet at the campgrounds and motels.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,383,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Fly into SF (1-2 nights)
Drive south through Santa Cruz and Monterey (1 night)
Drive east through the Central Valley to either Sequoia or Yosemite (1 long day drive, 1-2 nights)
Drive south to Los Angeles (1 long day drive, 1-2 nights)
Drive south to San Diego (1-2 nights)

That's basically 10 days right there. Even if your goal is to see CA's natural splendor, you can't visit CA and not go to SF or LA. Unless you are a serious hiker or backpacker you are not going to be able to penetrate the CA wilderness in a car without spending some serious time in the backcountry with very little in the way of amenities. Sequoia and Yosemite are packed with tourists in summer anyway - don't expect any peace and quiet at the campgrounds and motels.
I disagree about having to see LA. I cannot imagine spending one day of "vacation" there. If you want the SoCal flavor, come to San DIego or go to Santa Barbara. Do yourself a favor and avoid LA.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM

6,419 posts, read 11,574,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I disagree about having to see LA. I cannot imagine spending one day of "vacation" there. If you want the SoCal flavor, come to San DIego or go to Santa Barbara. Do yourself a favor and avoid LA.
LA may not be to your liking, but it does have stuff to see. Offhand, I can think of the Getty, La Brea Tar Pits, the Farmers Market, Santa Monica pier, Universal Studios, Disneyland, ...

Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,383,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
LA may not be to your liking, but it does have stuff to see. Offhand, I can think of the Getty, La Brea Tar Pits, the Farmers Market, Santa Monica pier, Universal Studios, Disneyland, ...
Disneyland isn't in LA. The Santa Monica Pier isn't worth seeing, nor are the La Brea Tar Pitts, Farmer's Market? Really? How about grafitti, gangs, traffic (OH MY GOD THE TRAFFIC IS HORRIFIC), smog, stress, ugly landscape. I guess if you have already seen San Diego, Santa Barbara, Orange County (where Disneyland is- no need to drive 1+ hours in LA traffic to get there), Big Sur, Yosemite, Sequoia, Napa, SF, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Shasta, Redwood national forest, Marin, Palm Springs, Mammoth, etc. and you wanted to see your worst nightmare of what America could become if we don't control crime, uncontrolled sprawl, vapid selfishness, and gangs, go to Los Angeles. Otherwise, don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego