Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 03:27 PM

32 posts, read 57,460 times

Advertisements

After coming down many times for past few years to stay on the boat with the kids, My wife and I are considering a permanant move there.

Would like to see some great recommendations for areas. We would rent a home first. I plan on opening up several RE offices in the county eventually.
-Looking for a good school zone.
-Hopefully closer to the beach
-not too far from the boat.
-not too much of a keeping up with Jones mentality - been there -done that already(much of Summerlin was like that -before the Nukes went off).
-easy access to good surf
-good baseball little league programs and club ball programs as well as adult baseball.

home would most likely need to be 2500 plus sq ft - of course could do a little smaller with easier beach access.

Any Ideas and thoughts would be welcome .

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
My first knee jerk reaction would be Encinitas but that is too far from your boat. The other would say is Pt Loma, which is near your boat, but the surf is not nearly as consistent or good as north county like Encinitas. What have you seen when you have come here?

Have you done a forum search prior to posting? What you are asking is not uncommon for families looking to move here.

Statistically, the best district is in Poway (inland).

Last but not least, what is your rental budget? In round numbers you are looking at an absolute min of $3000/mo for an average place of that size just about anywhere in SD.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:15 PM

32 posts, read 57,460 times
Default seen a lot of places.

thanks for the Quick response. I am originally From NJ too (Middletown) and moved to Summerlin about 11 years ago.

I am willing to be within 45 min of the boat. much better than the 5 hrs now.

Here are the areas I have seen and my comments about them.

Budget would be 3-4k per month.

I like Encinitas , Del Mar, Coronado island, La Jolla areas. Looked at Carmel Valley but it reminds me of Summerlin (and the Weeds intro) and seems overpriced(are schools really worth 300 k in home value), Seen bits and pieces of Carlsbad(dont like the tower view). I like Dana pt a little more north in OC too. Of course many of the areas I like are of course - very expensive still. Pt loma- I am basically in when we are on the boat . Like a lot of the ameneties- dont like all the tittie bars(well at least that is I tell my wife) The western area of Pt loma towards the lighthouse is pretty decent. We usually shop in the Liberty Station area when on the boat.

Never been to Poway area or 4s etc. The thing that I probably dont know - is specific areas within these areas that might fit the bill .

thanks for your help

Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
thanks for the Quick response. I am originally From NJ too (Middletown) and moved to Summerlin about 11 years ago.

I am willing to be within 45 min of the boat. much better than the 5 hrs now.

Here are the areas I have seen and my comments about them.

Budget would be 3-4k per month.

I like Encinitas , Del Mar, Coronado island, La Jolla areas. Looked at Carmel Valley but it reminds me of Summerlin (and the Weeds intro) and seems overpriced(are schools really worth 300 k in home value), Seen bits and pieces of Carlsbad(dont like the tower view). I like Dana pt a little more north in OC too. Of course many of the areas I like are of course - very expensive still. Pt loma- I am basically in when we are on the boat . Like a lot of the ameneties- dont like all the tittie bars(well at least that is I tell my wife) The western area of Pt loma towards the lighthouse is pretty decent. We usually shop in the Liberty Station area when on the boat.

Never been to Poway area or 4s etc. The thing that I probably dont know - is specific areas within these areas that might fit the bill .

thanks for your help
Thats pretty funny, my wife went to North and met in Red Bank. Small world.

Yeah I know what you mean about the houses and the high tension lines (they buzz loudly when its overcast or rainy). Those areas are great for what they are, but for me its not up my alley.
Then again, I dont have kids so my point in being in those types of areas are the last thing on my mind.

Sounds like you are familiar with the coastal neighborhoods and cities already. I dont think I can give any more info except to maybe look inland a bit. San Diego is still pretty narrow. I live near La Mesa which is a decent city but as far inland as Poway. It has quite a mix demographically and the schools range from average to very good statistically.

Poway is suburbia heaven and city-data gold with its statistics. Might want to check it out there.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 06-30-2011 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Poway is suburbia heaven and city-data gold with its statistics. Might want to check it out there.
love this quote

Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 AM

77 posts, read 126,949 times
I moved here six months ago from Henderson and currently live in Rancho Bernardo just overlooking 4S Ranch. It is only a 13 mile drive down the back, gorgeous roads to Del Mar beach, good school district, lots of parks, mountains, open space, etc. Very convenient and newer and just west of the 15. Check it out you might like it fellow Las Vegan!!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 AM

48 posts, read 78,706 times
We really love UC. It is a quiet little neighbourhood with a mild climate (hardly anyone has air con but it isn't as grey as La Jolla can get and your money buys you much more house). We are three miles to the beach, a mile to the mall, easy car access to pretty much anywhere in San Diego. We have breakfast in the park on the 4th with a little parade of kids on bikes and dogs wearing bandanas. We like that the houses are more varied than the newer neighbourhoods and there is a good mix of ages. We have grandparents next to a young couple with a baby here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego