U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2011, 11:53 PM

103 posts, read 221,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago5 View Post
soundsgood2 what do you like best about both those areas? Did I read somewhere that San Elijo Hills is on top of a landfill or am I mistaken? Also Rhanifin, our kids play travel soccer and basketball as well as track. What else can you tell me about Encinitas? Good schools and family friendly too? Thx!

There's are several post on here by the poster Encinitan that have a lot of great info regarding Encinitas. We moved out here about a month ago with a 4 year old and love it! If things pan out and my job becomes a permanent position, we will definitely stay. Tons of families, the parks are always busy places. (Interesting note: There seems to be a lot of very involved dads in Encinitas (and San Diego in general) at the parks and beaches with their kids, which I think is wonderful and a refreshing change from the South where we are from.) We love the family atmosphere, but it still has a very funky and fun vibe too.

I can say that the people have been extremely welcoming (all the way down to the grocery store clerks). Lots of great outdoor activities within 20 minutes. Obviously with a four year old, we haven't been looking in to competitive sports yet, but with the large scale sports centers around here I'm sure we have them. I have talked to some locals who assure me that the schools in Encinitas are very good.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 12:54 AM

514 posts, read 750,589 times
Quote:
soundsgood2 what do you like best about both those areas? Did I read somewhere that San Elijo Hills is on top of a landfill or am I mistaken? Also Rhanifin, our kids play travel soccer and basketball as well as track. What else can you tell me about Encinitas? Good schools and family friendly too? Thx!
I have corrected people about 5 times on this board, but they don't listen!!! San Elijo is not built on top of a landfill, it is next to one. Google map the area- it's pretty obvious to see where it once was, the land was graded in the middle of foothills

I'm not sure how good your children are at these sports, but it makes a difference for which club you should select. I can give you the run-down on club soccer in San Diego. By far the best club is the San Diego Surf, which is based at the polo fields near encinitas. These teams are not only the best in San Diego, but many are the best in California and all of them are nationally ranked. Practices are at the polo fields, but there are a few (very few) teams that are allowed to practice somewhere else. Although the fees are higher than other clubs, Surf has a full-time college counselor and trainer. It is a very well organized club and colleges often look to Surf for recruits. (my sister is a high school student on a surf team). The Presidio League, which was already dominated by Surf, is falling apart and the number of competing elite clubs is dwindling because most players go to surf. Carlsbad Lightning also has a Carlsbad Elite program, which has some very high performing teams. Albion, Notts Forest, and Nomads also have a good reputation in San Diego, but they are further south and would be more inconvenient. To sum it up, the best clubs in north county are arguably:

Great:
Surf

Good:
Carlsbad Lightning (but, more specifically ELITE program)
Rancho Santa Fe Attack
Del Mar/Carmel Valley Sharks
Poway Vaqueros
PQ premier

Decent:
Encinitas Express
Escondido Heat
Oceanside Breakers
Matrix- SM/SEH/La Costa
Vista Storm

I'm forgetting a few of the smaller ones, sorry!

Refer to encinitan, he knows a good deal about the area. I usually only go there for day at the beach or dinner. It is a nice area, with a mix of everything. Definitely unique to north san diego...

Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 AM

80 posts, read 149,762 times
Quote:
soundsgood2 what do you like best about both those areas?
My wife likes the idea of Ladera Ranch or Talega, but thinks it might be too congested/crowded/etc. She did some research and found out about San Elijo Hills which seems to also have a good family community "feel" to it and also has good (rated) schools.

We'll be heading out to CA in a couple of weeks. We'll stay in SD a few days then OC a few days.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,398 times
If you are looking for beautiful new townhouse for rental in 4s ranch, Gianni area, please post reply

Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 AM

140 posts, read 271,674 times
Hey Chicago5,
I reloed about 5 years ago from Chicago to San Diego (Carlsbad), I rented for 2 years in south carlsbad while I waited out the bubble and scoped out the where wanted to live, researched schools, and really got to know the housing market. At that time, both my kids were young preschoolers.

The Carlsbad, Encinitas area are two areas I would strongly recommend. Great coastal, quintessential beach communities, well managed, financially strong cities and good schools. Note, in San Diego, some towns have multiple school district, it is a artifact of how school districts were initially set up. For example depending on where you live in Carlsbad, you could be in Carlsbad Unified, San Dieguito, or San Marcos. There is a lot of info online on school districts online, along with local info real estate on sites like piggington. If you are within a few miles of coast, weather is probably best in the country.....never freezing and rarely above 85. This summer I've turned on the AC about 3 times, power bills are surprisingly low especially when compared to extremes of Chicago. My last Chicago house was a 1920s colonial, beautiful craftsmanship, but insulation was poor. I had enough of this old house repairs, been there and done that. I bought a new house in south Carlsbad back 2 years ago.

North county coastal is great areas for families, and out of town visitors. I'm getting a steady stream of relatives and friends, especially during the winter. It is a nice change from being stuck on the Eisenhower during a snow storm. Endless activities for my kids from legoland, beach, to year round sports. Great San Diego area cannot be beat from Seaworld to San Diego Zoo/Safari park, Balboa park for kids activities.

Suggest you spend some scoping out the area prior to buying anything. Some of my favorite activites and recommendations if you are in town visiting.

1. Sped time cruising up the 101, Encinitas and Carlsbad has some cool little downtown areas. Lots of funky shops and restaurants. Drive from La Jolla to Carlsbad, great views and unique towns.
2. Wild animal Safari park, abbot 45 minutes east in land. The closest thing you'll see to a African safari outside of Africa. I took my 6 yo to the Roar and Snore. One of Funnest, most interesting things I've ever done.......basically sleep in tents in zoo overnight, take behind the scene tours with experts and wake up to lions roaring at 3am.
3. Glider port at Torrey Pines. Great views, paragliders jumping off cliff.
4. Favorite beaches....Moonlight, Swamis (this is world famous surfing beach), Carlsbad, Ponto
5. Birch aquarium, great smaller aquarium, part of Scripps oceanographic institute. Awesome for kids, great views of La Jolla
6. San Diego Botanic garden. Very cool, great ocean views, great kids garden
7. Legoland
8. Antique steam engine Museum. 2x year they have very large steam engine parade, fascinating place for my boys. Lots of old 100 yo steam tractors and every machine under the sun, many working.
9. Carlsbad flower fields, March-May? Huge flower field overlooking ocean, tours pulled by tractors from Antique Steam engine Museum
10. Torrey pines beach and park

I,m not even discussing all the stuff you can do in the area or on weekend trips.....Balboa park, Bay, Coronado island, year round sailing, fishing, mountains, day trips to desert wildflowers, Joshua Tree, weekends up coast in LA, Santa Barbara

Anyhow, Everyplace has its charms and warts. Chicago got the Cubs, great restaurants, great summers, Lake Michigan, Da Bears, cool neighborhoods, very distinct seasons (can be good or bad).
I actually loved living in Chicago, and only left due to great job opportunity

North county coastal San Diego housing does not come cheap, but there seems to be wide variety and lots of good hoods. My suggestion is to spend time scoping it out.

My wife and kiddos like it out here, and as the saying goes when my wife is happy I'm happy.

Good Luck

Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 AM

365 posts, read 806,980 times
I'm an OC native but have been living in Madison WI for the past couple of years and our situation with kids/money is similar to yours. OC materialism is not overplayed...it is sickening and I refuse to raise my children there, that's why we left - no good to be found in ethics there! The 4S Ranch/Rancho Bernardo area of SD is really nice, down to earth and more laid back, but still very nice with tons of convenience and families. The schools in 4S Ranch are rated the highest in the district and the district is one of the best in the whole state.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 PM

3,216 posts, read 3,633,855 times
With all respect, IMO if you are going to be visiting only for a few days, I wouldn't spend your time going to all the family oriented/tourist places. You'll have plenty of time to do that once you move here. I would recommend driving around the neighborhoods, going to local malls, grocery stores, go and see what the schools look like, etc. I would suggest driving around during the day and then going back at night too. Go where the people who live here go on a weekly basis to get an idea of what life will really be like for you. Driving around you can still get the vibe of the beauty of the area.

Encinitas is a great area, has or close to having everything you could want, but does have alot of traffic. Please keep in mind most of SD County/SoCal is densely populated.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM

140 posts, read 271,674 times
Carmel Valley is to OC as Encinitas(Leucadia) is to Madison.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,294,946 times
I agree all of these areas are super family friendly. I've said it before and I'll say it again... San Diego has to be one of the best cities to raise a kid in. It would be a dream for me as a kid to have grown up here.

We've found the San Diego area to be extremely family friendly. So many great activities to do with young kids. And it's not difficult to meet up with other parents if you choose to do so once they start entering pre-school or school. At our daughter's pre-school in the Poway School District, the teacher emails all 22 of the parents and keeps them informed daily on what happened that day and the parents are free to email one another to set things up for outside of school.

There are also many resources or groups like www.sandiegoparent.com that you can sign up for and arrange play groups if you wanted with your kids.

I agree with the others to hit all the touristy places once you move here as you will have plenty of time. You can get annual passes at many of these places and it's a real value. For instance the San Diego Zoo is a great value for the Diamond Club annual membership which includes entry to both the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Safari Park in Escondido and even includes parking there.

People talk about all the materialistic people in the area but really it's easy to find really grounded people as well here.

Totally agree that housing is NOT cheap in the NCC area but if you can swing it... it's really paradise for raising a family. It pretty much has almost all of the things you could want including gorgeous houses, close to beaches, plenty of parks, very clean, extremely safe, excellent schools, friendly neighbors, great variety and proximity to anything you would need.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:25 PM

4,536 posts, read 4,829,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I agree all of these areas are super family friendly. I've said it before and I'll say it again... San Diego has to be one of the best cities to raise a kid in. It would be a dream for me as a kid to have grown up here.

We've found the San Diego area to be extremely family friendly. So many great activities to do with young kids. And it's not difficult to meet up with other parents if you choose to do so once they start entering pre-school or school. At our daughter's pre-school in the Poway School District, the teacher emails all 22 of the parents and keeps them informed daily on what happened that day and the parents are free to email one another to set things up for outside of school.

There are also many resources or groups like Unsupported Browser that you can sign up for and arrange play groups if you wanted with your kids.

I agree with the others to hit all the touristy places once you move here as you will have plenty of time. You can get annual passes at many of these places and it's a real value. For instance the San Diego Zoo is a great value for the Diamond Club annual membership which includes entry to both the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Safari Park in Escondido and even includes parking there.

People talk about all the materialistic people in the area but really it's easy to find really grounded people as well here.

Totally agree that housing is NOT cheap in the NCC area but if you can swing it... it's really paradise for raising a family. It pretty much has almost all of the things you could want including gorgeous houses, close to beaches, plenty of parks, very clean, extremely safe, excellent schools, friendly neighbors, great variety and proximity to anything you would need.
My wife and I have been zoological members for the past 5 years and get the Diamond Membership. Its really great to have not only for us, but when we have visitors from out of town.
Have you heard of the overnight Safari camping at the Wild Animal Park? I havent done it yet, but have some friends that have gone camping with their kids and loved it. The latimes did a nice little write up on it San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park offers overnight camping near wildlife - Travel - LATimes.com

I am not raising a family, but cant think of a better place to raise kids than NCC SD at a certain age when they become aware. While in some aspects it seems slightly sterile, one cant argue the level of safety and resources there are. I know if and when the time comes for us, that is where will be looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego