Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdancer View Post
... all the posters seem to refute my agreement that the single late 30-40 something more cosmopolitan folk are in greater numbers in other major cities? My initial point is that SD is more of a college and family town, and others said the same thing in posts before me.
I wonder if all those single 30-40 year old guys are off building their careers. San Diego isn't necessarily the best city to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Oh, for God's sake. If you people go out and say "all the people here are either family people or just wanting to get plowed and watch sports all weekend," guess what? You will find confirming cases and say "see, I told you."

You're telling me that all the people in the Sorrento Valley working tech jobs just sit around all weekend getting bombed and cheering for sports teams? Half of them have probably didn't even know it was opening day yesterday! Or that they're all married with kids?

It's really amusing to me to see people say, oh, well, it's typical for people in such and such place do this, that, and the other when that's clearly not the case. Consider this. On fall weekends in New York, about 100K people go to a stadium to watch football games.

I'll bet you the New York Philharmonic doesn't get 100K people attending their performances in a year.

I guess this means that New York is not a sophisticated city and that the men there are just out to get hammered every weekend and sink into their couch.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 PM

135 posts, read 296,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Oh, for God's sake. If you people go out and say "all the people here are either family people or just wanting to get plowed and watch sports all weekend," guess what? You will find confirming cases and say "see, I told you."

You're telling me that all the people in the Sorrento Valley working tech jobs just sit around all weekend getting bombed and cheering for sports teams? Half of them have probably didn't even know it was opening day yesterday! Or that they're all married with kids?

It's really amusing to me to see people say, oh, well, it's typical for people in such and such place do this, that, and the other when that's clearly not the case. Consider this. On fall weekends in New York, about 100K people go to a stadium to watch football games.

I'll bet you the New York Philharmonic doesn't get 100K people attending their performances in a year.

I guess this means that New York is not a sophisticated city and that the men there are just out to get hammered every weekend and sink into their couch.
As you know if you read anything I actually wrote, I never said ALL PEOPLE anything. And I never said they were "all married with kids." Quit misquoting me for the sake of arguing, and try sounding intelligent. I simply agreed with the generalization of many posters before me. And I wrote over and over that this is only a GENERALIZATION.

What's with your anger on here, especially that aimed at me? And still wondering how I possibly "took a dig at your masculinity"... it must be mighty fragile to begin if you somehow felt it threatened by anything that I wrote. I never said anything personal against you nor anyone else on here. And what is all this sex and the city crap! Nothing I wrote was about that stupid show.

No one seemed to pounce on the guy who said he had heard SD was "ideally for people under 25," or the guy who said he female friends complain about the men in their 30's, or the guy who said that they men in SD were Service men and young immature college boys.

I simply agreed with what this poster had to say. No one jumped all over him.

"Originally Posted by Jaded
Well, generally speaking, San Diego is a serviceman town (Navy). Not to mention a town with young, immature college boys. Both of these categories will only provide you with men who are probably broke more often than not. If you are looking for professionals, I'd recommend hanging out in the "wealthier" areas of San Diego on weekend mornings (coffee, bagel), jogging at the beaches, and going to the better happy hour spots. Do your coworkers go out for happy hour?

Another problem is that unlike LA or San Francisco, a lot of San Diego well-off folks are married. I could be wrong, but I don't think San Diego is a destination folks flock to in hopes of "finding" their soulmate...if you get my drift. But keep looking, he's out there!"

Ya know, men complain all over these boards about women in SD being "gold diggers," shallow, materialistic, uninteresting, unintelligent, etc... and women don't seem to jump all over them. And many didn't generalize, they said "ALL." But yet, when a bevy of people put a much less negative spin on the men and when one women simply agrees with all those people, she gets illogically insulted.

If anyone actually has anything intelligent and constructive to offer, like that they disagree and actually SD has a thriving late 20's-40's singles a scene and why, which was the point of this thread, then please, share with me and the rest of us. I'm sure the OP would love to know this.

But I'm not on here to be personally attacked by men who are angry at women.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 PM

178 posts, read 376,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdancer View Post
If anyone actually has anything intelligent and constructive to offer, like that they disagree and actually SD has a thriving late 20's-40's singles a scene and why, which was the point of this thread, then please, share with me and the rest of us. I'm sure the OP would love to know this.

But I'm not on here to be personally attacked by men who are angry at women.
You're kidding yourself if you expect intelligent discourse from blogs and forums. Anonymity doesn't foster the same degree of chatter as if you were sharing a beer or a glass of wine with others. Too many kids, nerds, and other who lack social skills to even get a date frequent online conversations with a woman. . . plus, your will always have posters with mental health issues who life's mission is to spew out venomous dogma and hate. Choose your battles, ignore fringe emotional replies, and move on when you get flamed. Just my 2 cents...

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignutz View Post
You're kidding yourself if you expect intelligent discourse from blogs and forums. Anonymity doesn't foster the same degree of chatter as if you were sharing a beer or a glass of wine with others. Too many kids, nerds, and other who lack social skills to even get a date frequent online conversations with a woman. . . plus, your will always have posters with mental health issues who life's mission is to spew out venomous dogma and hate. Choose your battles, ignore fringe emotional replies, and move on when you get flamed. Just my 2 cents...
This may explain a lot. I have visited other boards, however, and did not experience or notice this so much. I do think there are educated, intelligent people on City Data boards and boards in general, who are intelligent and articulate but perhaps a bit shy or introverted and expressed themselves well via written word - particularly men who may be less social than women. Even some of those men who have a hard time getting a dates because they are socially awkward but are genuinely nice people have something to contribute in terms of experience or advice. I do not mind social awkwardness, I just don't appreciate rudeness or anger.

I guess I shouldn't have expected much tho, from a thread wherein the initial posters asked where the men are who are "straight and not broke" and, from this, she gets accused from many of being a "gold digger"! LOL In search of a man having 100 dollars to his name is now falling under the category of "gold-digger." Hilarious!

So you may be right, after all. But even if it is expecting too much, I do expect respect and civil conduct.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
It's a two way street. When you go on and say that a city's mostly married men and people who never got out of the get really hammered and puke on the streets mindset, you show a lack of respect for those who do not fall into those categories.

Want respect? Show it.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
It's a two way street. When you go on and say that a city's mostly married men and people who never got out of the get really hammered and puke on the streets mindset, you show a lack of respect for those who do not fall into those categories.

Want respect? Show it.
BS. I never said that. In fact, I specifically said I did NOT say that. I said, generally speaking, it seemed to be more of a beer and sports, beach, and surfing culture for the single people. I did show respect. You didn't. If someone, including myself, who lived there too, doesn't fall into those categories, then we don't. A generalization allows for exceptions. That isn't a personal attack to someone on the boards. Get over your hyper-defensiveness, rudeness, and irrational attacks, and grow up.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:53 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
^You guys should hook up. seriously.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
^You guys should hook up. seriously.
Not to whether to laugh or cry at the suggestion.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
I really mean it. but by "hook up" I mean not a tour of skateboards and vomiting, but a proper date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego